Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Open Carry Vacation

  1. #1
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    466

    Open Carry Vacation

    All,

    Just got back home from my annual Sturgis motorcycle run and western states vacation.

    As I open carry daily here in Florida, but with the usual restrictions, it was a very welcome change to just be able to put the gun on and go about my daily business in the several states that we traveled through.

    After "hiding" everything while passing through Illinois, we hit Kansas and I put the gun back on for good.

    No problems at fuel stops, food stops or anyplace else we visited.

    The Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio. All run in full, daily open carry ON A MOTORCYCLE.

    This means the hotels, rest stops and restaurants, morning lobby breakfasts, Wal-Marts, motorcycle shops, grocery stores and all that.

    Only one single person even asked me about my Glock and it was in New Mexico at a truck stop where we had decided to stop for a real dinner for a change. I believe the reason she asked "for a badge" was to confirm we we're about to get the 50% meal discount!!

    I casually explained to her that open carry was lawful in New Mexico and she could ask that state trooper over there (other side of the seating area) and he'll confirm it. She said she didn't know that and was thankful for the answer. She gave us all the discount anyway and I was the only one with the gun!

    Gentlemen, I've said it 100's of times before in all of the gun forums. Open carry is the most comfortable way to carry a gun and NOBODY will care that you are doing it, especially if it passes here in Florida and it's all over the news.

    My only regret was that I was slightly out of place out west carrying the Glock when I should have been carrying some kind of single action .45 or similar!!!

    So, two full weeks of 24/7 open carry and ZERO problems. I even talked with a New Mexico State Trooper at a gas station in Taos and he never even gave it a second look.

    AD (full time open carry advocate)
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    I feel you man. I recently vacationed to an open carry state and it was crazy how NO ONE GAVE A DAMN - but in my home state of Florida I would have been proned out by the heroes in blue, charged with a crime, and locked up. What's so annoying is this was up north, where I don't mine concealed carry. It's so humid here I just want to wear shorts and a t shirt and be done with it. Not an extra layer of clothes to hide my gun - or cover my gun with my t shirt so I have some tacky budge and a gun rubbing my sweaty body.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  3. #3
    Regular Member hammer6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    All,

    Just got back home from my annual Sturgis motorcycle run and western states vacation.

    As I open carry daily here in Florida, but with the usual restrictions, it was a very welcome change to just be able to put the gun on and go about my daily business in the several states that we traveled through.

    After "hiding" everything while passing through Illinois, we hit Kansas and I put the gun back on for good.

    No problems at fuel stops, food stops or anyplace else we visited.

    The Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio. All run in full, daily open carry ON A MOTORCYCLE.

    This means the hotels, rest stops and restaurants, morning lobby breakfasts, Wal-Marts, motorcycle shops, grocery stores and all that.

    Only one single person even asked me about my Glock and it was in New Mexico at a truck stop where we had decided to stop for a real dinner for a change. I believe the reason she asked "for a badge" was to confirm we we're about to get the 50% meal discount!!

    I casually explained to her that open carry was lawful in New Mexico and she could ask that state trooper over there (other side of the seating area) and he'll confirm it. She said she didn't know that and was thankful for the answer. She gave us all the discount anyway and I was the only one with the gun!

    Gentlemen, I've said it 100's of times before in all of the gun forums. Open carry is the most comfortable way to carry a gun and NOBODY will care that you are doing it, especially if it passes here in Florida and it's all over the news.

    My only regret was that I was slightly out of place out west carrying the Glock when I should have been carrying some kind of single action .45 or similar!!!

    So, two full weeks of 24/7 open carry and ZERO problems. I even talked with a New Mexico State Trooper at a gas station in Taos and he never even gave it a second look.

    AD (full time open carry advocate)
    looks like fun. err, sounded like fun.

  4. #4
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,004
    Just got back from Virginia. I open carried everywhere. Now that I really think about it, it's very strange how no one seems to notice, since it is a pretty rare activity, even where it's legal. I guess if the conscious mind isn't looking for it then the average person going about their business won't see it.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  5. #5
    Regular Member rvrctyrngr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SE of DiSOrDEr, ,
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    All,

    Just got back home from my annual Sturgis motorcycle run and western states vacation.

    As I open carry daily here in Florida, but with the usual restrictions, it was a very welcome change to just be able to put the gun on and go about my daily business in the several states that we traveled through.

    After "hiding" everything while passing through Illinois, we hit Kansas and I put the gun back on for good.

    No problems at fuel stops, food stops or anyplace else we visited.

    The Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio. All run in full, daily open carry ON A MOTORCYCLE.

    This means the hotels, rest stops and restaurants, morning lobby breakfasts, Wal-Marts, motorcycle shops, grocery stores and all that.

    Only one single person even asked me about my Glock and it was in New Mexico at a truck stop where we had decided to stop for a real dinner for a change. I believe the reason she asked "for a badge" was to confirm we we're about to get the 50% meal discount!!

    I casually explained to her that open carry was lawful in New Mexico and she could ask that state trooper over there (other side of the seating area) and he'll confirm it. She said she didn't know that and was thankful for the answer. She gave us all the discount anyway and I was the only one with the gun!

    Gentlemen, I've said it 100's of times before in all of the gun forums. Open carry is the most comfortable way to carry a gun and NOBODY will care that you are doing it, especially if it passes here in Florida and it's all over the news.

    My only regret was that I was slightly out of place out west carrying the Glock when I should have been carrying some kind of single action .45 or similar!!!

    So, two full weeks of 24/7 open carry and ZERO problems. I even talked with a New Mexico State Trooper at a gas station in Taos and he never even gave it a second look.

    AD (full time open carry advocate)
    Sounds like a great time, AD. You make it by One Eyed Jack's when you were in Sturgis?
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    All,

    Just got back home from my annual Sturgis motorcycle run and western states vacation.

    As I open carry daily here in Florida, but with the usual restrictions, it was a very welcome change to just be able to put the gun on and go about my daily business in the several states that we traveled through.

    After "hiding" everything while passing through Illinois, we hit Kansas and I put the gun back on for good.

    No problems at fuel stops, food stops or anyplace else we visited.

    The Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio. All run in full, daily open carry ON A MOTORCYCLE.

    This means the hotels, rest stops and restaurants, morning lobby breakfasts, Wal-Marts, motorcycle shops, grocery stores and all that.

    Only one single person even asked me about my Glock and it was in New Mexico at a truck stop where we had decided to stop for a real dinner for a change. I believe the reason she asked "for a badge" was to confirm we we're about to get the 50% meal discount!!

    I casually explained to her that open carry was lawful in New Mexico and she could ask that state trooper over there (other side of the seating area) and he'll confirm it. She said she didn't know that and was thankful for the answer. She gave us all the discount anyway and I was the only one with the gun!

    Gentlemen, I've said it 100's of times before in all of the gun forums. Open carry is the most comfortable way to carry a gun and NOBODY will care that you are doing it, especially if it passes here in Florida and it's all over the news.

    My only regret was that I was slightly out of place out west carrying the Glock when I should have been carrying some kind of single action .45 or similar!!!

    So, two full weeks of 24/7 open carry and ZERO problems. I even talked with a New Mexico State Trooper at a gas station in Taos and he never even gave it a second look.

    AD (full time open carry advocate)
    You need to post this story on FCC forum!

  7. #7
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    You need to post this story on FCC forum!
    Yeah, I''m trying to figure out a good place to post it without looking like some kind of attention hound.

    I may add it to one of my older threads or last year's Sturgis thread.

    AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Yeah, I''m trying to figure out a good place to post it without looking like some kind of attention hound.

    I may add it to one of my older threads or last year's Sturgis thread.

    AD

    Will be taking my usual trip back up to the cabin in N. Georgia in a couple months, hiking etc. Last yr I went, OC'd EVERYFNGWHERE- with ZERO issues- such a nice change from only OC @ home here. Hiked most of the State and National parks up that way while OC as well. Spoke to several different cops/county-State/Park while OC, and no issue, whatsoever.
    Only folks who even mentioned it, or commented on it, were a pair of German tourists at one park. The man thought it was "cool" and "exciting" the wife of the guy, not so much. One Japanese guy commented on it, and proceeded to ask me a million questions about the pistol, the ammo, etc- curious and interested, rather than frightened or any such nonsense.

    In fact, I think Im going to make myself a nicer, fancier leather rig for my OC during that trip..

  9. #9
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    466
    j4l,

    I just noticed that I failed to mention the state of Georgia in my list of openly carried states on my trip!

    It's always a pleasure to ride the bike through Georgia and not have to hide anything.

    As it's a full ride through Georgia in both directions,(north/south) that's a lot of OC time on the motorycle.

    AD
    Last edited by ADulay; 08-27-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  10. #10
    Regular Member Nav0341's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Redford, Michigan
    Posts
    26
    I currently reside in MI. Because I am a CPL holder (Concealed Pistol License - not sure what it is called in FL yet) I can OC pretty much anywhere I please, other than Federal buildings, Casinos, Courthouses, Sterile Area of the Airport, or private property where the owners have policies against it. I've even OC'd at a school... yes it is legal here with a CPL.

    I am moving home to Florida on September 30th. I am going to miss this luxury! As a poster above mentioned, OC is SOOO comfortable. Especially in the summer time when it gets hot outside. Hopefully FL allows full time OC in the near future. I never really noticed how much of this I took for granted, until I got this job offer in Tampa.

  11. #11
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Nav0341 View Post
    I am moving home to Florida on September 30th. I am going to miss this luxury! As a poster above mentioned, OC is SOOO comfortable. Especially in the summer time when it gets hot outside. Hopefully FL allows full time OC in the near future. I never really noticed how much of this I took for granted, until I got this job offer in Tampa.
    Well, welcome to the Sunshine State (and alligators, bugs, hurricanes, margaritas, sunset dinners on the water) among other things!

    I'm living just down south of you in the next big inlet of water from the Gulf, that being the Charlotte Harbor area.

    When you get settled in and wind up with some gun related Florida questions, I'm sure we'll can get you headed in the right direction.

    AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  12. #12
    Regular Member Nav0341's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Redford, Michigan
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Well, welcome to the Sunshine State (and alligators, bugs, hurricanes, margaritas, sunset dinners on the water) among other things!

    I'm living just down south of you in the next big inlet of water from the Gulf, that being the Charlotte Harbor area.

    When you get settled in and wind up with some gun related Florida questions, I'm sure we'll can get you headed in the right direction.

    AD
    Thanks. It is more of a home-coming for me. I left Florida back in 1998 to become a US Marine. Then for some reason I moved to Michigan haha. It's my wife that has to get used to alligators, bugs, hurricanes (or hurricane parties), etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •