• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Walk Downtown Louisville Saturday 8/25/2012 in Support of Bennett Helms

INGunGuy

I am trying to organize an Open Carry walk thru downtown Louisville in support of Bennett Helms and his illegal arrest at the hands of LMPD. The walk is slated to start around 8AM at the corner of 6th and Cedar Streets in Downtown Louisville. We will be walking thruout downtown attempting to educate people on the legalities of Openly Carrying of weapons in Kentucky.

Please respond to this post if you will be attending.

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Needing info from people

So I would like to find out how long or how far people think that this Open Carry Walk should be. I really wanted to start in front of the Police station, go past the downtown government buildings, then to the Arby's that Mr. Helms was arrested at. The issue is that from what I can tell, it would be around a 3.5 hour walk and almost 10 miles. is this too far to walk or too much time to walk? Any info everyone can provide would be great.

INGunGuy

ps1mhd

Would like to come but this is my weekend to work. (7to7)
I would think if you want to talk with people later in the day
would be better and it will take longer to walk that far if you
are talking with people.

Mike

INGunGuy

Open Carry Walk directions

The Open Carry walk will proceed in downtown Louisville as follows:

8:00 AM meet at the corner of 6th and Cedar streets where we will proceed North for about 4 blocks until we get to East Main Street. We will then proceed west on East Main for 2 blocks then turn south on 8th Street and proceed 4 blocks until we get to West Jefferson Street. We will then proceed east for 5 blocks then turn south on 3rd Street and proceed around 6 blocks to West Chestnut Street. We will then turn west again and proceed up West Chestnut Street for 6 blocks until we reach 8th Street. We will then turn North and proceed up 8th street for 3 or 4 blocks until we reach West Liberty street. We will then turn east and proceed 3 blocks to Armory Place where we will then turn south for a block to West Muhammad Ali Blvd. We will then turn west on Muhammad Ali blvd for one block to 6th street and turn north and proceed back to our initial starting point at the corner of 6th and Cedar Streets. The total distance is around 2.7 miles.

After the walk has completed I am going to go to the Arby's at Crittenden Drive and Central Ave where Mr. Helms was arrested for failing to comply with an unlawful order by the police to eat some lunch. Everyone is invited to come to Arby's. If we are asked by the store management to leave due to Open Carrying a firearm there will be no arguing with the staff of Arby's we will leave the store as requested.

I am going to have some flyers printed up which explain Kentucky gun laws and I will also have copies of the Constitution and the Second Amendment which will be handed out to anyone who is interested in learning about Kentucky Gun laws. At no time should anyone in the group get into any kind of a heated discussion or argument about our carrying of weapons. If there is anything that happens to anyone in the group we will allow the police to handle any situation that may arise that puts us as the walkers in jeapordy.

INGunGuy

self preservation

I think that you are trying to do a good thing but the problem you may run into is that the users on this forum are pretty spread out across KY. I'm sure everyone would love to show their support but I fear you may have a hard time getting a large group together. I hope you can and I wish you the best of luck...

INGunGuy

Yea I do understand.

I think that you are trying to do a good thing but the problem you may run into is that the users on this forum are pretty spread out across KY. I'm sure everyone would love to show their support but I fear you may have a hard time getting a large group together. I hope you can and I wish you the best of luck...

Thank you very much, and yes the coverage is spread way out. I figure that there are a few people who live in Louisville who read this forum, and I was also asked to post this by someone on the wdrb.com website about this news report.

Take it easy, and I really want this to be a nice walk thru downtown, I walked around downtown Louisville years ago taking photographs of the different buildings and landmarks. I may take some photos...

Anyway, thanks!

INGunGuy

09jisaac

Take it easy.

Word of advice, just because you are new here. You don't want to mess with self preservation. He is a mean mamajama. He once ate a kittens head on a dare and he was the one who dared himself to do it. He goes to Antarctica (during the winter) every year to hunt penguins with a garrote. He says he wants to look them in the face as their last breath leaves. (What kind of crazy man does that?).

You have been warned.

But seriously, I may try to go if we can get a bigger turn out. Be a flop if it is us two.

Edit: I just realized that I have a wedding to go to this saturday. Sorry, I will definitely not be able to show up.

Last edited:

INGunGuy

Open Carry Walk thru downtown Louisville

I kinda figured 10 miles would be too much, that is why the directions that I have added here are 2.7 miles total.

As for going to Arby's If you read the news story it says the a police officer demanded that Mr. Helms cover his weapon, Arby's had nothing to do with the incident. I know that is says that a person who worked for Arby's said that exposed firearms werent allowed, but Mr. Helms was never given a trespass warning, only a demand to cover a legally carried firearm. Maybe Arby's would like the press that they do welcome Open Carriers, and that the police overstepped their authority... Just a thought...

Oh as for people attending, I can count for 6 as of right now.

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Link to news article

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19319955/man-arrested-at-louisville-arbys-after-refusing-to-hide-firearm

Here is the ONLY news outlet that has covered this incident. I have also contacted them and they requested that I send them the route, number of people, etc. Which I have already sent to them. I have no idea if there will be anything at all, I am going to take a stroll thru downtown with my wife and daughter, taking photographs of the downtown buildings, architecture, interesting landmarks. I did this years ago, and I want to do it again. Also my daughter will be taking photographs for her school photography class so I think we should get some good shots.

Take it easy

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

New Shorter Route information

***UPDATE***

In an attempt to shorten the distance slightly and also take the route past more architecturally significant locations in downtown Louisville, I have changed the route that I am planning to take. The new route is only 1.8 miles so it is about a half of a mile shorter in distance than the original route.

We are still going to start at 6th and Cedar streets and proceed north until we get to West Market St. We will then turn east on West Market Street and proceed to 5th Street where we will turn south for one block until we get back to West Jefferson St. we will then proceed west on West Jefferson Street until we reach 8th Street. We will turn north on 8th street and proceed to East Main Street. We will turn East on east Main Street and proceed down to 4th Street. We will turn south on 4th street and proceed until we get to West Muhammad Ali Blvd and then we will turn west and proceed to 6th street. We will then turn north on 6th street and proceed to our starting point at Cedar. This particular route will take us past the Louisville Metro department of corrections and the Louisville Metro Criminal Justice Center. This route will then takes us past the Louisville City Hall building on 6th Street. We will pass Vincenzo's Italian Restaurant on West Market street and then we will pass by the City Hall building on West Jefferson. We will pass by the Louisville Police department on West Jefferson Street. We will come upon the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory then the Louisville Science center. As we continue we will pass by the Kentucky Museum of Arts and Crafts as we head down East Main street. We will pass by the Kentucky Center and the Kentucky Center for the performing arts the PNC bank Building and National City tower. As we go south on 4th street, we will pass Aegon tower on the way to 4th Street Live where we will pass under the old Galleria. We will head west when we get to the Starks building passing by the Seelbach hotel. We will then turn north on 6th street to conclude the organized walk at our starting point at the corner of 6th and Cedar streets. I have virtually walked this route on google streets and we will pass by some nice buildings and some historical locations.

I look forward to seeing everyone who decides to come celebrate their Second Amendment with us.

INGunGuy

DrakeZ07

I look forward to seeing everyone who decides to come celebrate their Second Amendment with us.

Must I really drive a hundred miles, and take part in a walk through a city I don't play well with, deal with their cops, and media, and risk my life and limb to any given abuser of a badge; to celebrate my 2nd Amendment rights? Aww, and I thought OC'ing on a daily basis was a good enough celebration. Darn. Well, I'll just have to strap all my firearms to my entire body, and be a walking arsenal with you then, since this walk is clearly the only real way to celebrate OC.

If I remember correctly, and you must forgive me if I'm not remembering it right, but, there is a elementary school somewhere rather close to that walking path. Though it's been a couple years since I been in that exact area.

Sorry, though, if I wasn't hurting for cash, I'd go along, if for nothing else, than to test my theory that if I dress in the gayest clothes possible while OC'ing in our largest, and most liberal city, it'll create an aura around me, and encompass people I'm with in this protective bubble, that will make confrontative/aggressive LEO's shy away from the blinding pinkness.

Last edited:

self preservation

Word of advice, just because you are new here. You don't want to mess with self preservation. He is a mean mamajama. He once ate a kittens head on a dare and he was the one who dared himself to do it. He goes to Antarctica (during the winter) every year to hunt penguins with a garrote. He says he wants to look them in the face as their last breath leaves. (What kind of crazy man does that?).

You have been warned.

But seriously, I may try to go if we can get a bigger turn out. Be a flop if it is us two.

Edit: I just realized that I have a wedding to go to this saturday. Sorry, I will definitely not be able to show up.

After a long day at work this was a much needed laugh..:lol::lol::lol:

INGunGuy

Must I really drive a hundred miles, and take part in a walk through a city I don't play well with, deal with their cops, and media, and risk my life and limb to any given abuser of a badge; to celebrate my 2nd Amendment rights? Aww, and I thought OC'ing on a daily basis was a good enough celebration. Darn. Well, I'll just have to strap all my firearms to my entire body, and be a walking arsenal with you then, since this walk is clearly the only real way to celebrate OC.

If I remember correctly, and you must forgive me if I'm not remembering it right, but, there is a elementary school somewhere rather close to that walking path. Though it's been a couple years since I been in that exact area.

Sorry, though, if I wasn't hurting for cash, I'd go along, if for nothing else, than to test my theory that if I dress in the gayest clothes possible while OC'ing in our largest, and most liberal city, it'll create an aura around me, and encompass people I'm with in this protective bubble, that will make confrontative/aggressive LEO's shy away from the blinding pinkness.

No, you dont have to drive a hundred miles to take part in our walk. As for OCing on a daily basis, good for you, and I am glad you do. As for me, I generally do not OC as I dont like to draw too much attention to myself. BUT this walk is to show our support for Mr. Helms who was illegally arrested after refusing to submit to a illegal order by a off-duty LMPD police officer. Thanks for your support and have a wonderful day!

INGunGuy

Will.40

Hope you guys have a good time, unfotunantly I will not be able to attend, I was planning on it but something came up:( once again have a good time and stay safe!

INGunGuy

Not much of anything at all. There were a total of 8 people to do the walk, unfortunately 4 of the group were late and missed walking with us. We did end up going out to lunch at Arby's and as expected nothing happened, which I am glad of. You can look for something possibly on WHAS11.com

INGunGuy

RebeccaC

I think....

I think there would have been a better response if people had had more advance notice. I know you were wanting to strike while the topic was still out there due to the incident at Arby's, but I think it was just too short of notice for many. I'm glad there were no problems. :)

ashton11

I am trying to organize an Open Carry walk thru downtown Louisville in support of Bennett Helms and his illegal arrest at the hands of LMPD. The walk is slated to start around 8AM at the corner of 6th and Cedar Streets in Downtown Louisville. We will be walking thruout downtown attempting to educate people on the legalities of Openly Carrying of weapons in Kentucky.

Please respond to this post if you will be attending.

INGunGuy

how about another walk??