Thread: Is that a recorder in your pocket or are you just happy to see me!

Is that a recorder in your pocket or are you just happy to see me!

My question is simple, I often wear shirts with no pockets so I will need to carry a recorder in my pants pocket, how do you think the sound will be and how do you carry your recorder?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Banned
    I carry on my belt in a cellphone case with a lanyard in case it falls out. If it gets windy, I'll put it in mic down so that the wind doesnt blow over the mic.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 08-23-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    My question is simple, I often wear shirts with no pockets so I will need to carry a recorder in my pants pocket, how do you think the sound will be and how do you carry your recorder?
    Common alternatives to shirt pocket carry are a) on a lanyard around your neck, under your shirt, b) in a spare magazine holder, and c) cell phone or PDA holder. I use a shortened lanyard all the time. I would not carry in a pants pocket for multiple reasons: the sound will not be good and there is always the chance something might hit one of the recorder's buttons, interrupting the recording. Why don't you stick your recorder in your pants pocket and walk around Meijer or Home Depot, then listen to the recording when you get back home? That will tell you how well it works for you.

But since the whole idea behind a recording is to get the best, clearest audio of an encounter, you want the best position for it. One alternative is if you decide to carry in your pants pocket, you could use a remote mic. That could probably simply be clipped to the top corner of your pocket. It wouldn't necessarily have to go up your shirt to your lapel.

Last edited by griffin; 08-23-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    My Sony w/noise reduction does fine in my pants pocket. Recording is as clear as if you were speaking directly into the mic.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Is that a recorder in your pocket or are you just happy to see me!

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Common alternatives to shirt pocket carry are a) on a lanyard around your neck, under your shirt, b) in a spare magazine holder, and c) cell phone or PDA holder. I use a shortened lanyard all the time. I would not carry in a pants pocket for multiple reasons: the sound will not be good and there is always the chance something might hit one of the recorder's buttons, interrupting the recording. Why don't you stick your recorder in your pants pocket and walk around Meijer or Home Depot, then listen to the recording when you get back home? That will tell you how well it works for you.

I have an Olumpus WS-802 and I sometimes put it inn the pocket of my purse. It picks up audio perfectly. This recorder has a switch on it to lock the buttons so that nothing can interfere or stop the recording.

But since the whole idea behind a recording is to get the best, clearest audio of an encounter, you want the best position for it. One alternative is if you decide to carry in your pants pocket, you could use a remote mic. That could probably simply be clipped to the top corner of your pocket. It wouldn't necessarily have to go up your shirt to your lapel.

I have noticed that even though it picks up the audio fine you can hear the scratching of fabric. I've thought of getting an external mic that I can hang on the outside of my purse as extra insurance that I'll get the best possible recording when needed.
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Look for the noise reduction switch ^ ^ ^ on that Sony - right hand side. It does the job.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

My Olympus WS-321M does fine in pants, even in cargo-style pockets.

Sony ICD-PX312 as pictured.
    I carry in a folding pocket knife holder, horizontally on the belt when I'm wearing a shirt without pockets. The closing loop stands up far enough where it doesn't rub against the microphone. I tried to get it to fit in a magazine holder, but it's just a bit too wide .

I considered having a holder made, but the local guy who does kydex says the temperature gets up around 300-degrees and I don't know the operating tolerances. I might wind up carving a block of wood, but all my tools are steak knives. I might have to try out a few leather mag holders and see if they can't be stretched out with a little alcohol.

I often carry a recorder in my front pants pocket. It records fine when standing still. While walking you can hear fabric scratching against the recorder.

Carrying in a mag holder makes for better audio, but is less convienent.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I've been using the lanyard under the t-shirt method when wearing a shirt without pockets.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I have a small digital recorder that rests on my upper chest, just below my collar line out of view. I hang it with a cell phone lanyard attached to a necklace, material that any craft store carries.

Excellent position for sound pick-up, and not dependent on the shirt I'm wearing over it. I can wear anything from t-shirts to golf-shirts to dress-shirts with pockets. Doesn't matter. As long as I've got my neck, I'm in business.
    Last edited by DanM; 08-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I have a small digital recorder that rests on my upper chest, just below my collar line out of view. I hang it with a cell phone lanyard attached to a necklace, material that any craft store carries.

Excellent position for sound pick-up, and not dependent on the shirt I'm wearing over it. I can wear anything from t-shirts to golf-shirts to dress-shirts with pockets. Doesn't matter. As long as I've got my neck, I'm in business.
    Sounds convenient. What model if you don't mind.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Originally Posted by DanM

--snip-- As long as I've got my neck, I'm in business.
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Standard issue Red Neck would be my best guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Standard issue Red Neck would be my best guess.
    Ahaha I was hoping someone would make a neck joke.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Something I just remembered....
    I was in a gun shop last month that had some DPMS branded shirts that had actual zippered/cigarette pockets on the sleeves. I wish now that I had thought to look at the manufacturer. They were a nice polo style, but they'd look even better without the DPMS logo.

And yet, I can't find anything like it on the DPMS site or by searching.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 08-23-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Olympus WS-700M. It has a retracting USB connector, also, which makes it a really superb device!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    zippered/cigarette pockets on the sleeves.
    Are you kidding me (us)?

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Re: Is that a recorder in your pocket or are you just happy to see me!

Look for a noise reduction switch/setting. Mine records fine in my pocket; without noise reduction I do hear a "swish-swish" while walking. One time I put it in a book bag and thought I switched it off...recorded over 12 hrs of conversations going on in the room. The volume was pretty sketchy but, after downloading it to my computer, I amplified the volume and it was fine. This despite being 15-20 feet away in a leather book bag.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.