• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is that a recorder in your pocket or are you just happy to see me!

Raggs

My question is simple, I often wear shirts with no pockets so I will need to carry a recorder in my pants pocket, how do you think the sound will be and how do you carry your recorder?

griffin

My question is simple, I often wear shirts with no pockets so I will need to carry a recorder in my pants pocket, how do you think the sound will be and how do you carry your recorder?
Common alternatives to shirt pocket carry are a) on a lanyard around your neck, under your shirt, b) in a spare magazine holder, and c) cell phone or PDA holder. I use a shortened lanyard all the time. I would not carry in a pants pocket for multiple reasons: the sound will not be good and there is always the chance something might hit one of the recorder's buttons, interrupting the recording. Why don't you stick your recorder in your pants pocket and walk around Meijer or Home Depot, then listen to the recording when you get back home? That will tell you how well it works for you.

But since the whole idea behind a recording is to get the best, clearest audio of an encounter, you want the best position for it. One alternative is if you decide to carry in your pants pocket, you could use a remote mic. That could probably simply be clipped to the top corner of your pocket. It wouldn't necessarily have to go up your shirt to your lapel.

Sony-ICD-PX312-Digital-Voice-Recorder.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My Sony w/noise reduction does fine in my pants pocket. Recording is as clear as if you were speaking directly into the mic.:rolleyes:

Steeler-gal

Common alternatives to shirt pocket carry are a) on a lanyard around your neck, under your shirt, b) in a spare magazine holder, and c) cell phone or PDA holder. I use a shortened lanyard all the time. I would not carry in a pants pocket for multiple reasons: the sound will not be good and there is always the chance something might hit one of the recorder's buttons, interrupting the recording. Why don't you stick your recorder in your pants pocket and walk around Meijer or Home Depot, then listen to the recording when you get back home? That will tell you how well it works for you.

I have an Olumpus WS-802 and I sometimes put it inn the pocket of my purse. It picks up audio perfectly. This recorder has a switch on it to lock the buttons so that nothing can interfere or stop the recording.

But since the whole idea behind a recording is to get the best, clearest audio of an encounter, you want the best position for it. One alternative is if you decide to carry in your pants pocket, you could use a remote mic. That could probably simply be clipped to the top corner of your pocket. It wouldn't necessarily have to go up your shirt to your lapel.

Sony-ICD-PX312-Digital-Voice-Recorder.jpg

I have noticed that even though it picks up the audio fine you can hear the scratching of fabric. I've thought of getting an external mic that I can hang on the outside of my purse as extra insurance that I'll get the best possible recording when needed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Look for the noise reduction switch ^ ^ ^ on that Sony - right hand side. It does the job.

Fallschirjmäger

Sony ICD-PX312 as pictured.
I carry in a folding pocket knife holder, horizontally on the belt when I'm wearing a shirt without pockets. The closing loop stands up far enough where it doesn't rub against the microphone. I tried to get it to fit in a magazine holder, but it's just a bit too wide :(.

I considered having a holder made, but the local guy who does kydex says the temperature gets up around 300-degrees and I don't know the operating tolerances. I might wind up carving a block of wood, but all my tools are steak knives. I might have to try out a few leather mag holders and see if they can't be stretched out with a little alcohol.

lapeer20m

I often carry a recorder in my front pants pocket. It records fine when standing still. While walking you can hear fabric scratching against the recorder.

Carrying in a mag holder makes for better audio, but is less convienent.

DanM

I have a small digital recorder that rests on my upper chest, just below my collar line out of view. I hang it with a cell phone lanyard attached to a necklace, material that any craft store carries.

Excellent position for sound pick-up, and not dependent on the shirt I'm wearing over it. I can wear anything from t-shirts to golf-shirts to dress-shirts with pockets. Doesn't matter. As long as I've got my neck, I'm in business. :)

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

I have a small digital recorder that rests on my upper chest, just below my collar line out of view. I hang it with a cell phone lanyard attached to a necklace, material that any craft store carries.

Excellent position for sound pick-up, and not dependent on the shirt I'm wearing over it. I can wear anything from t-shirts to golf-shirts to dress-shirts with pockets. Doesn't matter. As long as I've got my neck, I'm in business. :)

Sounds convenient. What model if you don't mind.

Fallschirjmäger

Something I just remembered....
I was in a gun shop last month that had some DPMS branded shirts that had actual zippered/cigarette pockets on the sleeves. I wish now that I had thought to look at the manufacturer. They were a nice polo style, but they'd look even better without the DPMS logo.

And yet, I can't find anything like it on the DPMS site or by searching. :(

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Look for a noise reduction switch/setting. Mine records fine in my pocket; without noise reduction I do hear a "swish-swish" while walking. One time I put it in a book bag and thought I switched it off...recorded over 12 hrs of conversations going on in the room. The volume was pretty sketchy but, after downloading it to my computer, I amplified the volume and it was fine. This despite being 15-20 feet away in a leather book bag.