• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KG Plans Active Shooter Drill!!

TFred

As the first commenter to the article rightfully noted... these folks better be AWFUL CAREFUL how they do this, or someone's going to end up seeing what happens to active shooters when you have armed, free citizens around!!

When you think about it, this not a particularly smart thing to do among the actual population, especially with several recent events on everyone's mind. I know I wouldn't be volunteering to be the "simulated" active shooter!

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/kin...unty-plans-an-active-shooter-drill-next-week/

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As the first commenter to the article rightfully noted... these folks better be AWFUL CAREFUL how they do this, or someone's going to end up seeing what happens to active shooters when you have armed, free citizens around!!

When you think about it, this not a particularly smart thing to do among the actual population, especially with several recent events on everyone's mind. I know I wouldn't be volunteering to be the "simulated" active shooter!

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/kin...unty-plans-an-active-shooter-drill-next-week/

TFred

Yep....pretty stupid idea!

Marco

Yep.. not too well thought out. Something like this needs to be in a controlled enviroment otherswise folks could really get (shot!!!!!) hurt.

Bowesmobile

Who in their right mind thought this would be a good idea?! Someone is likely to get killed, all for a practice drill! Where does the stupidity end?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are there not minimum standards for stupidity? Does one have to be certified? Bad, bad idea!

Also note that "The drill also will involve some type of hazardous materials." :uhoh:
Please, sirs, if we may, might they be simulated hazmat?

twoskinsonemanns

Wow. Not only it is unnecessarily risky, but the very act IMHO could be terrifying and traumatizing. I know that sort of description gets thrown out too often, but depending on where this goes down, like if there are children about it could scare the piss out of them for a long time.

MagiK_SacK

"A shooter will be on the loose in a public place.

Officials are keeping the location of that place, and other details of the drill, under wraps to “increase the realism,” said Lt. Steve Lynd of King George’s Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services."

That excerpt from the article is very suggestive that they plan on having somebody in an unknown location simulating an actual shooter. I can only hope that's not the case. Training in the military we simulate all sorts of situations but there is always on thing in common. If we are simulating an aircraft cash, we don't actually crash an aircraft. If we are simulating a fuel spill we don't actually spill fuel. We just go through the motions of the proper response. I can only hope that is the real intentions of KG county. If not this holds the possibility to be a horrible event everyone involved.

wylde007

Think about the reduced overall manpower throughout the county during this exercise. Would be a great opportunity for criminal enterprise.

I can't be the only one who ever saw "Lightnin' Jack".

TFred

Just now had a chance to check back on the comments that have been left this afternoon. Found one all too typical:

"...Second and most important, If you are a citizen that carries concealed or open, you should never try to be a hero. Keep your eyes open and dial 911..."

Poster's screen name? MikeyNYGuy

:rolleyes:

TFred

E6chevron

Just now had a chance to check back on the comments that have been left this afternoon. Found one all too typical:

"...Second and most important, If you are a citizen that carries concealed or open, you should never try to be a hero. Keep your eyes open and dial 911..."

Poster's screen name? MikeyNYGuy

:rolleyes:

TFred

In Milwaukee, Wis. even our liberal Mayor Barrett, doesn't follow a policy that extreme. He jumped into a domestic dispute while unarmed, on the street, and got clubbed in return, although he did stop the dispute.

Lucky, this joker didn't give the colonists advice during the revolutionary war.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Personally I am inclined to keep my big mouth shut and let the officials in KG deal with whatever goes down. I know that is not the socially appropriate thing to say, and that it allows the criminally stupid idea to put folks in danger, but there honestly is no other way to teach people who think like that why their idea is, to be extremely polite, ill-conceived.

In advance I apologize to the residents of KG and express my condolences to the families and friends of those who will be injured. But because this does not involve making threats against the gooberment there is little chance of getting the folks behind this locked up against their will for a psych evaluation, even though IMHO it meets the criteria of a clearly expressed threat to do harm to others.

stay safe.

TFred

In Milwaukee, Wis. even our liberal Mayor Barrett, doesn't follow a policy that extreme. He jumped into a domestic dispute while unarmed, on the street, and got clubbed in return, although he did stop the dispute.

Lucky, this joker didn't give the colonists advice during the revolutionary war.
Well, in that case, such an adviser would have likely been a Loyalist:

"Loyalists were American colonists who remained loyal to the Kingdom of Great Britain (and the British monarchy) during the American Revolutionary War.
Historians have estimated that between 15 and 20 percent of the 2.5 million whites in the colonies were Loyalists, or about 500,000 men, women and children."​

TFred

paramedic70002

Back before "active shooter" was a buzzword (80s) the head of Security at Norfolk General Hospital ran an unannounced drill in the ED where a "shooter" came in gun in hand and seized the ED.

The "shooter" nearly got his ticket punched when someone called 911 and the LEOs showed up, and the head of Security I think got his walking papers.

More recently (90s) the film production company in Suffolk (Dominion Pictures) was filming an "armed robbery of a bank" on Main St. Somebody called 911, the LEOs came and there nearly was a one sided shootout right there on the sidewalk. Nobody told 911 there was a filming going on and no one noticed all the cameras and film crews working.

Just a few weeks ago, there was a big "actie shooter" drill in Roanoke, put on by the State Office of EMS. I never heard the after action report, but I did see a pic of one of the victims with a T shirt on that had VICTIM across the back. I wonder if the shooter was similarly adorned.

Last edited:

TFred

Back before "active shooter" was a buzzword (80s) the head of Security at Norfolk General Hospital ran an unannounced drill in the ED where a "shooter" came in gun in hand and seized the ED.

The "shooter" nearly got his ticket punched when someone called 911 and the LEOs showed up, and the head of Security I think got his walking papers.

More recently (90s) the film production company in Suffolk (Dominion Pictures) was filming an "armed robbery of a bank" on Main St. Somebody called 911, the LEOs came and there nearly was a one sided shootout right there on the sidewalk. Nobody told 911 there was a filming going on and no one noticed all the cameras and film crews working.

Just a few weeks ago, there was a big "actie shooter" drill in Roanoke, put on by the State Office of EMS. I never heard the after action report, but I did see a pic of one of the victims with a T shirt on that had VICTIM across the back. I wonder if the shooter was similarly adorned.
Some will recall that the very unpopular president of the University of Mary Washington started down the road that led to her resignation when she went out one night to the campus parking garage, and used the call station to report a man with a gun hassling her in the garage. Nobody knew it was a "drill", and fortunately for the University which now has a great president, she never could sufficiently explain or excuse herself out of that ugly incident. From that moment on, it was only a matter of time.

TFred

ryan7068

My hat is off to my fellow man once again......fixing everything except the real problem. And potentially endangering people to do it. I guess moving soft targets are slightly harder to hit?! :shocker: