• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mcdonalds does not support our rights

Italic

Hello, I'm a long time reader of these forums and first time poster so I'd like to simply start off by saying thank all of you for all the information. I've been openly carrying my S&W 637 for about a month or so now and up until today I've had no problems. My family and i went out to Mcdonalds for breakfast this morning and after being ignored by the elder gentlemen working the counter for about five minutes he came up to the register and said one word "gun." I asked what he meant and he said "i refuse to serve anyone who has a gun." Now before i started carrying i looked up all the stores and restaurants who don't allow open carry and Mcdonalds was assuredly not on any of those lists.

After asking flagging down the manager and explaining the situation she said she'd need to "check the book" and went to go do so. The employee looked at me and said "either way im not serving you" to which i responded "I'm just exercising my rights that thousands of Americans died protecting." His retort was a witty "So am I."

I've sent off a scathing email to Mcdonalds corporate office and don't really know what else i can do, i despise being treated rudely especially when I'm simply exercising my rights as an American citizen.

-Italic

tjkruck

Mcdonalds is like Walmart. They do not have a side they follow local laws if OC is allowed they allow it, my brother is a store manager of mcdonalds and I've OC'd many times. I just don't make it known that he is my brother and don't expect the discount when I carry

Carry on

CCinMaine

I've never had any issues with mcdonalds either. Handled it well though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Italic

I've never had any issues with mcdonalds either. Handled it well though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well thank you i pride myself on being able to keep a calm and level head in any situation. I think more than anything it was just a ignorant and rude employee who just wanted to cause a fuss.

davidmcbeth

Banned
After asking flagging down the manager and explaining the situation she said she'd need to "check the book" and went to go do so. The employee looked at me and said "either way im not serving you" to which i responded "I'm just exercising my rights that thousands of Americans died protecting." His retort was a witty "So am I."

I've sent off a scathing email to Mcdonalds corporate office ..

-Italic

Wellll, did you get served? I would have written to the owner of the McDs, not corporate...and complain about the employee stating his political views to you--you did not go there for that.

Italic

Wellll, did you get served? I would have written to the owner of the McDs, not corporate...and complain about the employee stating his political views to you--you did not go there for that.

No after he said he wouldn't serve us either way i gathered my family and left. I refuse to spend money somewhere that doesn't respect my rights. I'm not sure how to contact the owner and even then do you think the owner would take the time to read an email?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm not sure how to contact the owner and even then do you think the owner would take the time to read an email?

Are you kidding, an email? Look up the business and send, via the businesses registered agent, a demand letter asking for MONEY...that is the only thing businesses care about.

http://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do

The smart mouth kid will be fired the next day and his employment records burned so that you have no witnesses to call for the business.

Business owners have better things to worry about than addressing your rights unless it will save him $$$.

And make it clear that you have suffered emotional distress.

Ask for $25K.

mahkagari

The smart mouth kid will be fired the next day and his employment records burned so that you have no witnesses to call for the business.

From the OP:

ignored by the elder gentlemen working the counter for about five minutes

Anyhow, where was this? Maybe you can organize a cadre of OCers to shkoff some Egg McMuffins.

EMNofSeattle

This is a list of all the McD's in Aurora (town listed on your profile)

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/rest...ge=en&primaryCity=Aurora+colorado&postalCode=

click on "restuatant home page" on the appropriate listing, it will tell you the phone number, name of the manager of that location, and whether or not the store is corporate or franchised

I wouldn't say that blanket statement like you did about McD's though, when I was in Montana I went to a Mcdonalds on US 93 several times OCing my Model 10. never had an issue with them, although one of the employees wanted to know if I was carrying a colt or a S&W, and told me that If I had a colt revolver I wouldn't be welcome in the store... (I took this to be a joke):lol:

Last edited:

GTShooter

Oh wow... what a little *****.

I would contact the franchise owner for sure and let him know how you were treated. Would like to know what store this is for sure.

Italic

This is a list of all the McD's in Aurora (town listed on your profile)

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/rest...ge=en&primaryCity=Aurora+colorado&postalCode=

click on "restuatant home page" on the appropriate listing, it will tell you the phone number, name of the manager of that location, and whether or not the store is corporate or franchised

I wouldn't say that blanket statement like you did about McD's though, when I was in Montana I went to a Mcdonalds on US 93 several times OCing my Model 10. never had an issue with them, although one of the employees wanted to know if I was carrying a colt or a S&W, and told me that If I had a colt revolver I wouldn't be welcome in the store... (I took this to be a joke):lol:

on the McD list of stores in 80010 its number 2
11025 E COLFAX AVE
AURORA CO 80011-5717

I think what got me upset the most was that it was a guy in his 50's or 60's working the counter who just seemed to despise guns and anybody with them

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

on the McD list of stores in 80010 its number 2
11025 E COLFAX AVE
AURORA CO 80011-5717

I think what got me upset the most was that it was a guy in his 50's or 60's working the counter who just seemed to despise guns and anybody with them

So I would contact McDonald's corporate, there's probably a regional district with a "district manager" who's basically the store managers "supervisor" if the manager on duty was just a shift lead or PIC (person in charge) then i'd start by filing a complaint to Mr. Dave K who's the actual location manager. if Dave K was the manager on duty you spoke to, I'd go to his regional manager for complaint.

And I would complain, even if McD's does have a no guns policy for customers (which I doubt) the way you were treated was unnacceptable. I've worked in retail before, I know that the employee is supposed to be polite to you, refusing a legal sale is not right for him to do so I'd go ahead and write a letter of complaint. It could be just talking to the restaurant manager could result in an attitude ajustment for the counterman right there.

mahkagari

11025 E COLFAX AVE
AURORA CO 80011-5717

Sounds like a prime location for a morning Aurora OC M&G.

Exactly. He must recognize that you're not a threat, or he wouldn't be giving you grief. In which case he is taking an issue with you for a legal choice. Imagine he had the same attitude with someone wearing a political button or religous symbol. Can you imagine what his employers would have to say?

kharizma

That sounds like a horrible experience. You handled it well and I hope they send you some vouchers for free food and apologize.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The thread title is a little over-broad, I think.

I routinely enjoy the exquisite culinary delights of my local McDonalds (plural). Never had a problem with the gun. A few funny looks from new cashiers until they got to know me across a few visits, but shift managers and store managers have been very friendly.

A single counter person does not translate into an entire store, an entire chain by one franchisee, nor the corporate position.

A note to all readers. If you politely, with no rancor, acknowledge the individual refusing service, validate his position, and gently leave, you will automatically win the argument. You have recognized his rights even though he won't recognize yours.

"You won't serve an armed person? I understand. Perfectly valid position. That's the great thing about this country--you're totally within your rights. And, I completely respect your right to do so. Thanks for being frank about it." There is nothing he can say. You've totally disarmed him. Just quietly leave and take it up later.

But, first give it a chance for your classy exit to sink in.

This technique has worked for me. I literally did what I described above in a different restaurant with a hostess. On my next visit, another person standing at the hostess station commented negatively about the gun. The hostess spoke up and defended the right to bear arms!