Thread: Cato Institute Firearm self defense map.

Cato Institute Firearm self defense map.

I picked this link up from another site. The idea is to submit verifiable use of a firearm in self defense.
    Let's see if we can fill it up.
    http://www.cato.org/guns-and-self-defense/

Nobody?
    Kind of surprised that no one here has any input.

Good idea, but it has a major flaw. It must be verifiable by something publicly available on the internet. Obviously, only a small portion of these events make it to the news, and even the police. I, personally stopped an attack on myself by about 7 attackers, but the news or police don't have anything on it. If they wold accept submissions such as that, where they take it at face value, then that map would be much more comprehensive and make a much larger impact.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.
    XD40 Service
    -Hogue Handall grip sleeve
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -16" stainless bull-barrel
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Millet SP2 red-dot scope
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    KelTec P11
    -Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
    No one can make a pencil...

That is true but then again, look at all of the questionable "True Tales" we get here. A little verification goes a long way.
    For what it's worth the pins are increasing on the map from when it was first started.

"Criminals will often flee the scene when they discover that their intended target has a gun."

That's happened with me on one occasion. Since I've been OCing, I don't know how many similar situations have occurred. Zero? One, possibly two?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

pocket fist

before i had a concealed permit, i used to make a fist in my pocket when someone questionable aproached me.
    i know for fact that it worked. people dont normaly do that and, its a red flag to a would be bg.
    but im glad i dont have to bluff anymore.
    i'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

Thanks for the link. I submitted an incident from Colorado (not involving me). I will report if the story is added to the Cato map.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2793700
    Last edited by Anubis; 11-24-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyingA380 View Post
    Obviously, only a small portion of these events make it to the news, and even the police.
    Yep. And the ones that make it that far are going to definitely have biases of stronger intensity, with people either getting shot, arrested, or both.

Using Gary Kleck's data as a reference point, I would say that a meaningful study on confirmed, documented incidents will do little in the way of painting a clear, real world picture of what guns do to curb crime.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    "Criminals will often flee the scene when they discover that their intended target has a gun."
    Nevada only has one incident and that one was in Las Vegas. Maybe because we're OCing more? I wonder which states have more OC by population.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 11-28-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Hoka hey

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Using Gary Kleck's data as a reference point, I would say that a meaningful study on confirmed, documented incidents will do little in the way of painting a clear, real world picture of what guns do to curb crime.
    It's true that these extreme incidents are a very small fraction of total armed-self-defense incidents, but the Cato project (and similar projects like the NRA's Armed Citizen column) have one positive effect. They invalidate the anti's assertions that gun ownership never deters crime, such as "the criminal will use your gun against you" and "a gun in the house is much more likely to lead to a shooting of a family member than to deter an invader".