• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cato Institute Firearm self defense map.

HighFlyingA380

Good idea, but it has a major flaw. It must be verifiable by something publicly available on the internet. Obviously, only a small portion of these events make it to the news, and even the police. I, personally stopped an attack on myself by about 7 attackers, but the news or police don't have anything on it. If they wold accept submissions such as that, where they take it at face value, then that map would be much more comprehensive and make a much larger impact.

Roverhound

That is true but then again, look at all of the questionable "True Tales" we get here. A little verification goes a long way.
For what it's worth the pins are increasing on the map from when it was first started.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Criminals will often flee the scene when they discover that their intended target has a gun."

That's happened with me on one occasion. Since I've been OCing, I don't know how many similar situations have occurred. Zero? One, possibly two?

bellyfat

pocket fist

before i had a concealed permit, i used to make a fist in my pocket when someone questionable aproached me.
i know for fact that it worked. people dont normaly do that and, its a red flag to a would be bg.
but im glad i dont have to bluff anymore.

Michigander

Obviously, only a small portion of these events make it to the news, and even the police.

Yep. And the ones that make it that far are going to definitely have biases of stronger intensity, with people either getting shot, arrested, or both.

Using Gary Kleck's data as a reference point, I would say that a meaningful study on confirmed, documented incidents will do little in the way of painting a clear, real world picture of what guns do to curb crime.

FallonJeeper

"Criminals will often flee the scene when they discover that their intended target has a gun."
Nevada only has one incident and that one was in Las Vegas. Maybe because we're OCing more? I wonder which states have more OC by population.

Last edited:

Anubis

Using Gary Kleck's data as a reference point, I would say that a meaningful study on confirmed, documented incidents will do little in the way of painting a clear, real world picture of what guns do to curb crime.

It's true that these extreme incidents are a very small fraction of total armed-self-defense incidents, but the Cato project (and similar projects like the NRA's Armed Citizen column) have one positive effect. They invalidate the anti's assertions that gun ownership never deters crime, such as "the criminal will use your gun against you" and "a gun in the house is much more likely to lead to a shooting of a family member than to deter an invader".