• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in NYC ?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...id10|htmlws-main-bb|dl1|sec1_lnk2&pLid=196572

EMPIRE STATE BUILDING SHOOTING

Unpossible! NYC has laws against that!

Wait! Do you mean those laws only work if people obey them? Who knew?

News sources are noting that Bloomberg's podium was set up at the site shortly after the police had declared the scene "secure". Bllomberg's actual appearance was not quite as quick.

stay safe.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Great. Another reason for Bloomberg to put his ugly face on the television again and mumble on about needing more gun laws. It doesn't matter that "HIS" city has more gun laws than nearly every other city in the country, yet they have one of the highest gun murder rates. Hhmmm, I thought laws kept criminals from being criminals? Oh well, maybe the reason they are criminals is because they break the law? Yea, that's it!

TFred

Bloomberg is an absolute idiot. From a CBS News article:

Some of those injured may have been accidentally shot by the officers, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

"This is a terrible tragedy, and there's no doubt that the situation would have been even more tragic but for some extraordinary acts of heroism," Bloomberg said.​

So when police officers accidentally shoot innocent bystanders, they are HEROS, but according to Bloomberg, they can't allow any ordinary citizens to carry guns in NYC, because they might accidentally shoot someone else, and make the situation worse! What a hypocrite!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57499732/multiple-people-shot-near-empire-state-building/

twoskinsonemanns

Bloomberg is an absolute idiot. From a CBS News article:

Some of those injured may have been accidentally shot by the officers, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

"This is a terrible tragedy, and there's no doubt that the situation would have been even more tragic but for some extraordinary acts of heroism," Bloomberg said.​

So when police officers accidentally shoot innocent bystanders, they are HEROS, but according to Bloomberg, they can't allow any ordinary citizens to carry guns in NYC, because they might accidentally shoot someone else, and make the situation worse! What a hypocrite!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57499732/multiple-people-shot-near-empire-state-building/

Seconded. I was fuming slightly as I watched his press release.

twoskinsonemanns

BG kills one. Cops kill BD and wound 9....(speculation based on statements given)
I guess the cops win.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Because only the police are proficient enough to safely use handguns.

I'm not saying that a street full of armed citizens might not have resulted in some innocent bystanders being shot, but when there is more than one cop shooting you can pretty much count on 1) every other cop starting to shoot, too; and 2) someone/something besides the intended target getting hit.

But rather than sit behind my keyboard and bad-mouth the poor marksmanship of the cops, I'd like to offer up a suggestion that might actually improve a few things. I say it's high time we each adopt a cop - take them with you when you go to the range so they can have more than once- or twice-yearly practice shooting that brick they carry around. Take them with you when you go shopping for groceries, or stop to get a hot dog, fries and a Super Big Gulp after the kiddies' ball game. Take them with you when you go to the library, or the laundramat, or to the city council/board of supervisors' meeting. Let them see lawfully armed citizens going about their daily routine with a handgun properly holstered, who are not threatening store clerks, or maiming their spouse/children, or that the handgun did not jump out of the holster and go on a rampage at the mall or by the kiddie swings in the park.

You see, what with cops being so prone to hitting people/things they did not mean to hit when they start shooting, I have a feeling that cops are afraid - not so much guns as they are afraid of the other cops who are shooting their guns.

Letting cops get used to being around people with guns who do not use them recklessly might calm their fears, and might get them to think that training on their own time and their own dime might be a good idea.

And then I woke up and realized that there was no porridge, and no bears, and no little girl either. It was all a dream.

stay safe.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
We've said (and known) all along that cops miss more (can't hit the criminal target) and cause more collateral damage than armed citizens do. This just confirms that.

So again it must be asked, WHO needs the "training?" The cops or citizens?

How can cops do so poorly with all that MANY hours of Academy training yet citizens with FEWER hours of training do better if training alone is the solution -- as liberals say? [rhetorical question]

Something to consider when ignorant people say (1) citizens need "training" before they should be allowed to CC (or OC) their guns, (2) citizens need MORE training than they currently receive to get a CC permit (the number of hours their particular state requires needs to be increased), or, (3) citizens need AS MUCH training as cops get.

No...they don't.

Citizens do just fine without any of that. Let them continue to do whatever they're doing as it's working MUCH better.

Last edited:

mwaterous

It's just a tiny bit frustrating that if an officer is involved in friendly fire it's a justifiable accident; but if an armed citizen were to do that, he or she better hope they can afford the legal team if they don't want to be in a federal pen for the rest of their lives.

EMNofSeattle

We've said (and known) all along that cops miss more (can't hit the criminal target) and cause more collateral damage than armed citizens do. This just confirms that.

So again it must be asked, WHO needs the "training?" The cops or citizens?

How can cops do so poorly with all that MANY hours of Academy training yet citizens with FEWER hours of training do better if training alone is the solution -- as liberals say?

Something to consider when ignorant people say (1) citizens need "training" before they should be allowed to CC (or OC) their guns, (2) citizens need MORE training than they currently receive to get a CC permit (the number of hours their particular state requires), or, (3) citizens need AS MUCH training as cops get.

No...they don't. Citizens do just fine without any of that.

Because nearly all of the academy is policy, legal, and procedural training. less then 5 hours are firearm training in most academies I believe. In addition most armed citizen shootings are 1 on 1 encounters or 1 on 2 in an isolated areas (away from witnesses). whereas in a mass shooting most civilians run away, and if there is armed civilians in a mass shooting scenario they are probably more likely to "excuse themselves" from a shooting situation if they can safely escape, whereas police officers dispatched will confront the shooter.

sharkey

Because nearly all of the academy is policy, legal, and procedural training. less then 5 hours are firearm training in most academies I believe. In addition most armed citizen shootings are 1 on 1 encounters or 1 on 2 in an isolated areas (away from witnesses). whereas in a mass shooting most civilians run away, and if there is armed civilians in a mass shooting scenario they are probably more likely to "excuse themselves" from a shooting situation if they can safely escape, whereas police officers dispatched will confront the shooter.

Arm chair quarterback here ... from what little I know of this, there would have been no mass shooting if the cops weren't there. The man had one target. He shot and killed his target. The cops shot him and everyone else. Since I'm speculating I'll go all out and say had they not shot him he probably would have taken a hostage after firing at the cops. OTOH had the cops not shown he probably would have been arrested peacefully later.

Main point .. this was not a mass shooting by a deranged suspect. The cops need training and charges. If I caused collateral damage I'd be charged.

EMNofSeattle

Arm chair quarterback here ... from what little I know of this, there would have been no mass shooting if the cops weren't there. The man had one target. He shot and killed his target. The cops shot him and everyone else. Since I'm speculating I'll go all out and say had they not shot him he probably would have taken a hostage after firing at the cops. OTOH had the cops not shown he probably would have been arrested peacefully later.

Main point .. this was not a mass shooting by a deranged suspect. The cops need training and charges. If I caused collateral damage I'd be charged.

I only read the very first reports this morning that implied it was a mass shooting, since then I've been out working and haven't read anything more, if what you're saying is true then you'd be right. I'll go back and read some more stories

TFred

Reports are starting to filter in now that it was indeed the police officers who shot all the innocent bystanders.

Watch before your very eyes as the media changes this event from "yet another mass shooting" to a story that nobody can seem to remember ever happening.

TFred

TFred

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I think the video establishes a justified shoot as far as the criminal side goes. Armed suspect who just shot someone reaches in his bag... The real question is, who's going down on the civil side? Are the officers going to be ruled negligent and have their QI waived? Or is the city going to be ruled negligent in not providing proper marksmanship training?

Looking up some of the police shootings in NYC over the last few years it seems that officers are like deputy Garcia from Reno 911! They can't hit anything and have comically bad marksmanship. Maybe the lack of firearm culture in the city explains that...

TFred

I think the video establishes a justified shoot as far as the criminal side goes. Armed suspect who just shot someone reaches in his bag... The real question is, who's going down on the civil side? Are the officers going to be ruled negligent and have their QI waived? Or is the city going to be ruled negligent in not providing proper marksmanship training?

Looking up some of the police shootings in NYC over the last few years it seems that officers are like deputy Garcia from Reno 911! They can't hit anything and have comically bad marksmanship. Maybe the lack of firearm culture in the city explains that...
Don't make me laugh. Bloomberg called them heros. They will get medals, and bonuses, and the courts will quickly dismiss anything that might come their way. This is the land of the sheeple, I'd be surprised if anyone even files a lawsuit.

TFred