• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry for non-resident/non-citizen?

mwaterous

Back story; I know this is opencarry.org but I live in New Mexico where open carry is sadly prohibited in many places I go daily, ie anywhere that has a liquor license (I know how that sounds but I'm not a drunk, we simply live in a world where everybody who can sells alcohol). I would like to obtain a conceal carry so that I don't have to disarm on average twice a day.

I'm also not a US Citizen though, which is why I can't get one from New Mexico - though there is currently a case to try and overturn this, it may be years before anything happens. I am a Canadian with a ten year green card, and two more years before I can obtain citizenship. Does Arizona issue to non-residents who are non-citizens? Their site is ambiguous on this, in one section it seems like they may, in another it sounds like they don't unless you're a state resident as well. I'm just trying to confirm as this would be a small ordeal to go over there for training, but at the same time would speed up the process by two years.

March Hare

I spoke with DPS.
If the card you have is a Permanent Resident card, you can get and AZ concealed carry permit, however, you need to be a resident of AZ for at least 90 days in order to qualify.

If you would like to go directly to the source, the number at DPS is: 602-256-6280.

-MH

mwaterous

Thank you! That's what I suspected, since that seemed to be properly worded on their web site whereas the other section I read seemed to be more vaguely written. I guess I have two more years of disarming on a daily basis to look forward to. :p

I spoke with DPS.
If the card you have is a Permanent Resident card, you can get and AZ concealed carry permit, however, you need to be a resident of AZ for at least 90 days in order to qualify.

If you would like to go directly to the source, the number at DPS is: 602-256-6280.

-MH

mwaterous

At least you can open carry most of the time. How many hours of the day would you be able to if still in Canada?

I'm torn between "touche", and "below the belt". I'd be able to carry 24 hours a day in Canada right up until I was caught and thrown in jail. I also wouldn't need to as everybody is too cold up in Canada to mug you, and generally speaking the vegan criminals are so undernourished that you can push them over almost by accident.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Assuming you are a good guy, I answered the questions on FL's questionnaire for eligibility for their CCW permit, which is recognized in NM. If you are not a US citizen, you must document your legal residency in your state of residence for 90 days, plus your INS paperwork as a legal resident. This is what they said:
Concealed Weapon or Firearm License Preliminary Eligibility Determination

Congratulations, based upon your answers, it appears you qualify for a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License!

You answered Yes to question 13a - Are you a lawful permanent resident alien in possession of the required documentation issued by the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)?
» You must submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien who has resided in the state of residence (as shown on your application) for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted.

Here is where you start that process: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

FL is one of the most expensive permits in the US, but it is the most-recognized one that is also recognized in NM.