• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just what we need... another nutjob with a gun making bad news for the rest of us...

sharkey

The news is very conflicting but from what I've seen the gunman shot one person and the cops shot the rest.

Beretta92FSLady

Officers are said to be responsible for the wounded, nice:
"...He said officers are trained to fire only as a last resort and must fire multiple shots because only one in five generally hit the intended target...." http://news.yahoo.com/civilians-hurt-nyc-gunfire-highlight-dangers-233856647.html

No wonder NYC Police shoot their suspects twenty-times each.

From the link provided above:
"...The court also wrote: "The immunity afforded a municipality for its employee's discretionary conduct does not extend to situations where the employee, a police officer, violates acceptable police practice."
O'Donnell said it was likely lawyers will test the adequacy of Friday's police shooting...."

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

True, stories are starting to roll in. We've now suffered the first "mass shooting by cops" in the US.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ystanders-empire-state-gun-battle-sources-say

It's a very sad day.

TFred

The page you linked has an inaccurate headline. There was no Gun Battle, there was officers shooting a man--although armed--who fired zero rounds. In order for the to be a Gun Battle, well, there need to be at least one return fire, wouldn't people agree?
"Police Shot All Nine Bystanders in Empire State Gun Battle, Sources Say

MKEgal

EMNofSeattle said:
I call BS on this story, NYC is a "gun-free zone" they have a score of 64 from the Brady campaign, it's not possible for a shooting to occur there
Actually, it's worse than you think.
The only way to carry a gun in NYC is to have a permit.
(Reports from police say he pulled it out of his bag, so he was carrying concealed.)
Only friends & contributors to Bloomberg get permits.
Therefore, this guy was a friend or political supporter of Bloomie.
The Brady Bunch is going to have a hard time explaining that.

Last edited:

CCinMaine

If shot by police while doing nothing wrong, let's say being one of those bystanders, would it be defensible in court that lethal force was being used on you as a justification to draw and return fire? If this was a self defense story would that make it any different?

Just a thought. I say you are always absolutely 100% responsible for your rounds as should these police be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

EMNofSeattle

If shot by police while doing nothing wrong, let's say being one of those bystanders, would it be defensible in court that lethal force was being used on you as a justification to draw and return fire? If this was a self defense story would that make it any different?

Just a thought. I say you are always absolutely 100% responsible for your rounds as should these police be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Depends on the wording of the law, I'd say under WA law you'd technically be on the inside of the law, becuase you can use deadly force to resist the commission of a felony upon yourself (negligent manslaughter is a felony). But expect the DA to put you through hell and cost you your savings and property defending yourself in court and endless rounds of appeals and hearings, and good luck finding a jury that heard nothing about your case. I can promise you ol Russ Hague, the kitsap county DA will bankrupt you and put you to trial, and it's all but guaranteed an NYC DA would

HighFlyingA380

Actually, it's worse than you think.
The only way to carry a gun in NYC is to have a permit.
(Reports from police say he pulled it out of his bag, so he was carrying concealed.)
Only friends & contributors to Bloomberg get permits.
Therefore, this guy was a friend or political supporter of Bloomie.
The Brady Bunch is going to have a hard time explaining that.
If you would have read the article, you would have learned that he was not licensed and illegally carrying the firearm: "Johnson bought the .45-caliber gun used in the shooting in 1991 in Florida, two law enforcement souces told NBC News. He was not licensed to carry arms in New York, they said."

Jack House

If you would have read the article, you would have learned that he was not licensed and illegally carrying the firearm: "Johnson bought the .45-caliber gun used in the shooting in 1991 in Florida, two law enforcement souces told NBC News. He was not licensed to carry arms in New York, they said."
whoosh

Everyone knows it is not possible to illegally carry a firearm. That is why we have gun control!