• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling through on motorcycle with rifle???

scorpio_vette

Ok so i know that you can't do anything in IL, and have to hold your breath while traveling through the state.
But I wanted to verify 1 thing, and ask on another. I haven't been able to find anything specific, and was hoping some of you could help me with statues, and or experiences+statues.

1) HANDGUN: if i'm traveling through the state (WI-MI for example), then unloaded, encased is all I need to be legal correct??? Does the magazine have to be in a separate case/location, or can it be in the same case as the gun???

2) Rifle: does the same transportation rule apply to rifles, AND.......any suggestion for doing that on a motorcycle??? would a gun sock and a cable lock be sufficient, or would it have to be in a physical hard case, and..............??? i don't even know. suggestions???

junglebob

Sorry to disappoint you but a gunsock probably doesn't qualify.
For a non-resident, the firearms must be broken down OR inaccessible. Being on a bike means they ARE accessible so they need to be broken down. The ammo CAN be in the same container but there can't be ANY in the gun.

Go to the State Police website and their FAQ's (http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm). The part I copied below is about 2/3 of the way down the page.

If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?

Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
Unloaded, and
Enclosed in a case, and
Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

What constitutes a legal "case" for transporting a firearm?

The Criminal Code refers to "a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container." However, the Wildlife Code is more specific, defining case as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."

Good luck on your trip. Whatever you do, stay as far from "Crook County" and Chicago as you can!

Scorpio, You can read a lot on the topic on transport in Illinois at the Illinoiscarry.com forum. If you go to active content for past week you will find a topic Transport Your Firearm Legally in Illinois. That requirement to have a firearm not immediately accessible is no longer state law for out-of-staters since the Illinois State Supreme Court decision in State vs. Holmes. However the Illinois State Police website is slow to change and still list that requirement. To add to the transport requirement question home rule communities can make further restrictions and Chicago does, these are on the ISP website. If you are traveling through Southern Illinois south of I64 (it goes into St.Louis) you should be good following state requirements. Ammo can be in case, in magazine, just none in the firearm. I'd use a rifle case but if I could break it down into a smaller case I'd do it and make it less noticeable to the State Police. Stay away from the Chicago area!

junglebob

In answer to what constitutes a case the Wildlife Code says something designed for transporting a firearm. It is more stringent than other state statutes,, mentioned by JT Hunter, which also allow for firearm carring box, shipping box, or other container. The State Supreme Court ruled that a cars center console is a case for transport purposes too.

Shoobee

Not sure why on this Earth anyone would ever need or want to haul a rifle on a cycle.

Motorcycles are designed with knives and handguns in mind.

For a rifle you really need a pickup truck instead, so you can park the bike in the bed, lash it down, and then carry all 3, your rifle, your handgun, and your K-bar. Just put a Harley sticker on the truck and it will be almost like riding the bike.

Yup-yup.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not sure why on this Earth anyone would ever need or want to haul a rifle on a cycle.

Motorcycles are designed with knives and handguns in mind.

For a rifle you really need a pickup truck instead, so you can park the bike in the bed, lash it down, and then carry all 3, your rifle, your handgun, and your K-bar. Just put a Harley sticker on the truck and it will be almost like riding the bike.

Yup-yup.

Motorcycles are some peoples primary mode of transportation - also do not see that motorcycles have any design intent for any defensive tool generally.

The provision for discussing long gun carry is restricted on this forum. Methods of transporting them or reference to hunting are fine, but encouraging or defending OC (excepting in CA) of long guns is outside the parameters of OCDO.

knivezrev6

I would simply call the ISP non emergency line and ask to be 100% sure of how you would be able to transport while on a bike. It would be better to hear it from an officer who enforces these laws and can find an answer then some of us who might not be current on our laws.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would simply call the ISP non emergency line and ask to be 100% sure of how you would be able to transport while on a bike. It would be better to hear it from an officer who enforces these laws and can find an answer then some of us who might not be current on our laws.

That could be a very expensive way to go and how does that make you 100% sure?

Hanging your hat on the opinion of an officer, who probably knows less about the law than many people here, will provide no comfort when you are faced with a court date and potential loss of your rights.

knivezrev6

Like I said. It would be better to listen to an officer who enforces the laws and can find the information needed then listen to someone else.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That could be a very expensive way to go and how does that make you 100% sure?

Hanging your hat on the opinion of an officer, who probably knows less about the law than many people here, will provide no comfort when you are faced with a court date and potential loss of your rights.

Like I said. It would be better to listen to an officer who enforces the laws and can find the information needed then listen to someone else.

I started to tell you that you must not have received the message - LEOs are an extremely poor source of information on the laws, but then I reviewed your other posts and sense a provocateur who chooses to argue about forum rules also.

knivezrev6

Swearing being allowed or not has nothing to do with asking the right people about information. Everyone I know in law enforcement has good knowledge and if they don't know they find out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Swearing being allowed or not has nothing to do with asking the right people about information. Everyone I know in law enforcement has good knowledge and if they don't know they find out.

Your history has much to do with your credibility and flawed suggestion as to whom are the "right people" to ask for opinions on the law. We tell people to do their own research and if in doubt to consult a lawyer, but never do we advise them to ask an officer......not ever. Incredulously, you have stated that is how to be 100% sure of the law in another post.

Will you be the one held responsible for your actions? Yes.

Will the officer defend you in court for following his advice? No.

Is the officer liable in any way for his faulty advice? No.

While you are entitled to your opinion, faulty though it may be, we are not tolerant of positions repeatedly expressed that mislead our member/users and which may cause them potential harm.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Listen to a cop? Whaaaat? Read the statues and look at case law if you want to know.

Now, I had a PU (no trunk) and I used to carry my long guns to long or fat in the case to be put behind the seat in the passenger seat ... never had any issues. These were locked containers.