• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Communication with Don Turner about NRA.

The Big Guy

Below is the exchange I've had with Don on my feelings about the NRA. It started with a bulletin I got about an NRA/ILA phone bank.
I trully believe that even though we have some differences between us that we need to unite to fight the major battles. It is our best chance of getting them done. I hope this lets some of you with hesitation about the NVFAC feel a bit better about it.

TBG

Don

Thanks for the update on this but I have issues with the NRA. I used to be a supporter of the ILA but now I support GOA and SAF. As a gun rights proponent I feel I get much more bang for my buck with those 2 organizations. The NRA is not responsive to the membership and much of their efforts are not in the best interest of the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment in my opinion. I have been a life member for about 35 years and would have resigned my membership but hang around to get the magazine for free and write them the occasional letter of complaint. From others I talk to I am not alone in my opinion of them.

Tim

Tim,

You won’t get argument from me. The bigger organizations have a “bigger strategy” for their organizations that sometimes don’t help the local folks. This is why I felt compelled to start a NV based gun group. GOA tried about four years ago, and as well have several attempts. So I thought might as well try again. As a state organization we have a deal of lee way especially with local issues.

Don

Don

I don’t think they help us much on the national level either. They have sold out too many times. The last straw for me was over conceal carry. Instead of working for must issue, which tells the states they have a right to restrict firearms, they should have been working for constitutional carry only.

I’ve talked to friends in IA who are mad as hell at the NRA for running interference in their effort at constitutional carry. The NRA had a competing bill for must issue and actually lobbied against the constitutional carry effort. For some reason they think that the government has the right, and need, to license my unalienable rights as guaranteed by the US and Nevada Constitutions.

Tim

Tim,

I’ve talked to some state association directors who feel as you do.

Bottom line for us in NV, is that we need a strong state organization because politicians only respect money and fear outraged citizens. A strong organization can do both. We have been poorly represented at the state and local level for too long. Gun owners have a hard time though being unified. The shotgun guys don’t care about anyone else-and their ox is not being gored unless they own/carry handguns and rifles. The bench rest guys don’t like the three gun guys, etc. etc. etc. So it is a challenge getting them to put aside their differences and all do something united.

On another topic, we are preparing strategy to move forward (on several fronts) regarding the handgun registration and statewide preemption. I’ll keep you posted and you can let your OC folks know what we are doing and where they can help if they want. If we are successful in preemption that will resolve the county parks issue as well.

BTW I don’t believe that the CCW law should address carrying concealed on govt. property.

Don

Vegassteve

Quote" Your OC folks" That phrase doesnt sit well with me. Does he think we are not all NV gun owners? I must have pissed Don off long ago I guess because he doesnt correspond with me. And what does he mean by the last PS about CCW and gov buildings?

Merlin

Quote" Your OC folks" That phrase doesnt sit well with me. Does he think we are not all NV gun owners? I must have pissed Don off long ago I guess because he doesnt correspond with me. And what does he mean by the last PS about CCW and gov buildings?

I take "Your OC folks" as "the people on that other board who haven't joined yet" . I don't see it as derogatory. If he recognizes us as a constituency to be served, and possible members to be had, that is a step in the right direction. By being unified in our direction, we can produce the numbers to steer the organization in our favor.

From talking to Don, I think his heart and mind are in the right place. We just need to stay in his ear as a unified voice.

And fwiw, I don't want to entirely abolish the ccw permit. I wish to retain it as optional, for reciprocity purposes. At least until constitutional carry is 50 state.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Vegassteve

Well this oc folk has been a member since day one. I have written , spoke to him, and been ignored. Yes I know there are now openings I could serve in. Yet I joined because I was told the leaders are in place etc.

The Big Guy

I take "Your OC folks" as "the people on that other board who haven't joined yet" . I don't see it as derogatory. If he recognizes us as a constituency to be served, and possible members to be had, that is a step in the right direction. By being unified in our direction, we can produce the numbers to steer the organization in our favor.

From talking to Don, I think his heart and mind are in the right place. We just need to stay in his ear as a unified voice.

And fwiw, I don't want to entirely abolish the ccw permit. I wish to retain it as optional, for reciprocity purposes. At least until constitutional carry is 50 state.

You are correct. He wants to reach those who have not joined yet and try to get them on board with us. He realizes that we in the OC movement are a force in firearms politics in this state and that the Coalition needs our support. That gives us a lot of power if we would only utilize it. We can be a force for positive motivation and change within the Coalition and therefore the state.

It took me a while to get his attention but with persistance and I think a positive approach, I finally did. I think that he is overloaded and trying to carry too much of the burden on his shoulders. As I understand it there was the leadership team in place but some have dropped out and others are not putting forth the effort they should be. Again, that gives us the chance to jump in and make a change.

I would take a position in the Coalition but with other obligations like family (I have a big one), a business to run, other rights groups I'm involed in and some health issues, I just can't do it. My wife would kill me. We need some in the OC movement to step up.

TBG

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I appreciate the irony of Don Turner commenting on "the shotgun guys" and "the benchrest guys," while he defends the NRA.

I notice that he completely dodges the comment about the damage done by the NRA to defense-carry movements.

NVFAC is "preparing strategy" . . ?

Nothing that he said impresses me. However, I will concur that "your OC folks" was likely just a way to identify those of us who are interested in civil rights, like using "shotgun guys" and "benchrest guys."

The Big Guy

I appreciate the irony of Don Turner commenting on "the shotgun guys" and "the benchrest guys," while he defends the NRA.

I notice that he completely dodges the comment about the damage done by the NRA to defense-carry movements.

NVFAC is "preparing strategy" . . ?

Nothing that he said impresses me. However, I will concur that "your OC folks" was likely just a way to identify those of us who are interested in civil rights, like using "shotgun guys" and "benchrest guys."

I must be missing something as I did not perceive him as defending the NRA. Quite the contrary.

TBG

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I must be missing something as I did not perceive him as defending the NRA. Quite the contrary.

TBG

Read it again.

He brushes aside all comments about the NRA with "you won't get an argument from me" and "I’ve talked to some state association directors who feel as you do."

Then he draws your attention away with his other comments.

"Defending the NRA" includes short-circuiting and ignoring criticism, rather than discussing the issues.

The Big Guy

Read it again.

He brushes aside all comments about the NRA with "you won't get an argument from me" and "I’ve talked to some state association directors who feel as you do."

Then he draws your attention away with his other comments.

"Defending the NRA" includes short-circuiting and ignoring criticism, rather than discussing the issues.

I think you are reading more into it than there is.

TBG

Merlin

I think it is more productive for our goals to be a superset of the NRA goals, rather than a subset. It would be counterproductive for him to criticize the NRA. Even if he feels the same way some of us do about some of the things the NRA does, it would be a shame to be divisive at this time.