• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did I come across wrong?

mwaterous

Some people here don't seem to like LEOs, and that's fine... this thread isn't for those people so I'm asking those people who have a strong dislike to stop reading now.

I have been interested in law enforcement since I was younger, in fact I'd have joined the military by now if it wasn't for my wife threatening to kill me if I do. She is okay with my joining law enforcement but since we currently live in the US I have to wait another two years to become a citizen before I can.

So I asked on a LEO forum what I could do to best fill that time, or at least I thought I was. I'm asking you all as third parties, did I come across wrong? The thread is here: (Removed since the forum is restricted to registered members)

I've basically been told that my ideas are nothing short of silly, that there pretty much is nothing to do, and that chances are good I won't get hired anyways, so why am I even bothering? Is it because I'm Canadian? :) Or did I really come across like an ass? The last guy seems to go as far as suggesting I thought I'd be better than other officers if I had CJ under my belt. Maybe I'm reading that wrong.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Just speaking in general (did not read that link), many people (and IIRC, even one Police Chief also, who was even in the news some years back saying this) believe that LEO work is not for the really intelligent people out there. I recall one case where an applicant was denied for being "too smart." Maybe there's some truth to that concept...

On the other hand, for some decades now more and more police departments have increased the education requirements they looked for in the past (like just a high school diploma), even encouraging applicants to have a BA/BS degree. I don't see how a CJ degree would do anything but help VERY positively...especially if one wanted to make every promotion possible during his/her career. And even more education later on for promotions to the higest levels in a department.

So maybe it just depends on the department in question...

Last edited:

09jisaac

Can it be read without joining that forum? I am not joining a forum I am not interested in just to read one thread.

I would suggest taking CJ, it couldn't hurt. I hope you do get on.

Lastly, when you came to the states, did they allow you to bring your polar bear/moose with you or did you have to euthanize it?

mwaterous

Can it be read without joining that forum? I am not joining a forum I am not interested in just to read one thread.
I would suggest taking CJ, it couldn't hurt. I hope you do get on.
Lastly, when you came to the states, did they allow you to bring your polar bear/moose with you or did you have to euthanize it?

I'm not sure now, does the link not work? If it's hidden without logging in, then I'll remove the link and this thread can even be removed to boot as the question is pointless without the example.

It turns out that a lot of departments require an associates now, so CJ definitely can't hurt considering the one I was looking at was an associates. It also turns out that there are some departments in Colorado that hire non-citizens... it also turns out that you can fill out recruitment interest forms for some departments and they will notify you of open positions, cadet programs, etc... all of this I have turned up on my own, no thanks to those on that particular forum. These are all the things I was looking for.

And nope, I brought my bear. It was just a cub so we put a cap on it and said it was a 49er's fan.

Tanner

Cant view the thread unless you are registered with that site so I havent seen it. However if you have come across that kind of resistance on a site for LEOs and those who wish to be LEOs maby you should think twice before taking the plunge into that field of work. Private security maby a better fit. At any rate I think that there is not so much LEO hating here that it appears. It has been acknowledged here that there are good LEOs and a police force is vital to a community. I think there is a bit of a double standard when it comes to LEOs and how citizens are held to a higher standard when it come to certain things. We cant plead ignorance but they can....So yea there is that. As far as how you come accross. It can be difficult when communicating on the web. This is why I take the chance to meet the people on here as much as possible.

mwaterous

Gah, sorry people. I should have thought of checking that, but I haven't been on a forum that isn't publicly readable... well, ever. I'm not heading back there, officer.com seems a lot more diverse and doesn't feel the need to hide it's threads from the public. I think I'll have better luck over there.

Ah well, just a measly two years to go. :)

09jisaac

At any rate I think that there is not so much LEO hating here that it appears.

Quite right, eh. LEOs are just like everyone else in a position of authority, eh. We understand that there are people who are good at their job and try to do what is right and that there are others who do not fit that description, eh. Most of us prepare for every LEO encounter like they are the latter to protect ourselves, eh. This is similar to the way they treat citizens, eh. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, eh.

(I am learning to speak the language of your people, yes? I can't resist myself)

They do it so that they go home every night (as opposed to six feet under), we do it for the same reason, to go home every night (as opposed to waiting to post bail).

Also, police is the hand of the government that we deal with regularly. The sane (all that I know of) members of this forum realizes that a forum of government is necessary to protect many freedoms, but the more intrusive and powerful the government gets, the less freedoms we have.

Tanner

Quite right, eh. LEOs are just like everyone else in a position of authority, eh. We understand that there are people who are good at their job and try to do what is right and that there are others who do not fit that description, eh. Most of us prepare for every LEO encounter like they are the latter to protect ourselves, eh. This is similar to the way they treat citizens, eh. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, eh.

(I am learning to speak the language of your people, yes? I can't resist myself)

They do it so that they go home every night (as opposed to six feet under), we do it for the same reason, to go home every night (as opposed to waiting to post bail).

Also, police is the hand of the government that we deal with regularly. The sane (all that I know of) members of this forum realizes that a forum of government is necessary to protect many freedoms, but the more intrusive and powerful the government gets, the less freedoms we have.

Dont be a hooser eh! :dude:

Beretta92FSLady

Some people here don't seem to like LEOs, and that's fine... this thread isn't for those people so I'm asking those people who have a strong dislike to stop reading now.

I have been interested in law enforcement since I was younger, in fact I'd have joined the military by now if it wasn't for my wife threatening to kill me if I do. She is okay with my joining law enforcement but since we currently live in the US I have to wait another two years to become a citizen before I can.

So I asked on a LEO forum what I could do to best fill that time, or at least I thought I was. I'm asking you all as third parties, did I come across wrong? The thread is here: (Removed since the forum is restricted to registered members)

I've basically been told that my ideas are nothing short of silly, that there pretty much is nothing to do, and that chances are good I won't get hired anyways, so why am I even bothering? Is it because I'm Canadian? :) Or did I really come across like an ass? The last guy seems to go as far as suggesting I thought I'd be better than other officers if I had CJ under my belt. Maybe I'm reading that wrong.

CJ under your cap is a good start, but not a deal-breaker, depending on where you live.--you have a greater chance of upward movement, say, to Detective, from what I understand.

I wanted to become a LEO in my mid-twenties but decided not to, for a number of reasons, the first, and paramount: Stress. If you can handle the stress, and you are getting into that line of work for the right reasons, run with it.

You being Canadian is interesting. Remember, you are getting your citizenship in a Police State.

Shoobee

Public emergency service jobs (such as police, fire, and EMS) are popular and alluring.

You need to pass the physical exam, physical screening, and survive their basic training camp.

You will be competing with a lot of equally or better qualified candidates.

The ideal person is above average smart (tested analytically), an althlete, preferably a wrestler, and calm in any situation.

If you are all those things and you can outlast everyone else, then go for it.

mwaterous

CJ under your cap is a good start, but not a deal-breaker, depending on where you live.--you have a greater chance of upward movement, say, to Detective, from what I understand.

I wanted to become a LEO in my mid-twenties but decided not to, for a number of reasons, the first, and paramount: Stress. If you can handle the stress, and you are getting into that line of work for the right reasons, run with it.

You being Canadian is interesting. Remember, you are getting your citizenship in a Police State.

My reasons are too long to bore people with here, but suffice it to say me and my wife believe they are good reasons. As for stress... life is stress. What does that poster say, stay calm and carry on? I've been in high stress situations, I'm confident in my capability and that I will be able to learn how to cope with new kinds of stress.

My being Canadian is even more interesting when I let it slip that I'm extremely interested in DHS. ;)