Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Not strictly OC related...

  1. #1
    Regular Member Kotyaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ESVA
    Posts
    31

    Not strictly OC related...

    Okay, fine, it's CC related, but only because I want to cover my bases in case I choose to cover up for certain occasions.

    Since Virginia honors online courses...

    Anyone know about Concealed-carry.net being legit?

  2. #2
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotyaer View Post
    Okay, fine, it's CC related, but only because I want to cover my bases in case I choose to cover up for certain occasions.

    Since Virginia honors online courses...

    Anyone know about Concealed-carry.net being legit?
    Please don't take an online course. If you care one iota about carrying a gun to protect yourself and/or actually learning something, please don't waste money on some 30 minute video. Take a real class.

    rant off/
    Last edited by ProShooter; 08-24-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  3. #3
    Regular Member Kotyaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ESVA
    Posts
    31
    The reason I'm opting for the online course is to get the minimum qualifications out of the way, get the permit processing, and because I live on the Eastern Shore, so I'd have to work around my two jobs and the schedule of the individual who would train me.

  4. #4
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    I can see a reason for it. When I went to get my WV permit I considered it. The truth is I've been using firearms for decades, have had carry permits is multiple states, and have been through several courses (that I could not longer find the certification for). I knew the CHP course would be extremely basic and inconvenient compared to online. In the end I took a course in person just because I wanted to go shooting anyway. But to be frank I thought ahead of time the course would be a rehash of stuff I already knew and implemented and I was right. I did enjoy the instructor though and enjoyed debating him about OC/CC
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotyaer View Post
    The reason I'm opting for the online course is to get the minimum qualifications out of the way, get the permit processing, and because I live on the Eastern Shore, so I'd have to work around my two jobs and the schedule of the individual who would train me.
    Save your money. If you really don't think you need training, take the online hunter safety course. It satisfies the requirement.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Kotyaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ESVA
    Posts
    31
    Thanks for the info, Peter.

    Would they take an MD hunter safety certificate? I'm in the northernmost part of Accomack County, so everything in the rest of VA is very inconvenient, unless something's going on in norfolk after 1PM on mon-wednesday, since i'll be in the area.

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotyaer View Post
    Thanks for the info, Peter.

    Would they take an MD hunter safety certificate? I'm in the northernmost part of Accomack County, so everything in the rest of VA is very inconvenient, unless something's going on in norfolk after 1PM on mon-wednesday, since i'll be in the area.
    Probably. I'm not looking at the statute but I think it just says hunter safety course.
    That's a little out of my field of expertise.
    I took a hunter safety class in grade school and neither have nor want a CHP.

    Ask Ed....
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-24-2012 at 07:34 PM.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Probably. I'm not looking at the statute but I think it just says hunter safety course.
    That's a little out of my field of expertise.
    I took a hunter safety class in grade school and neither have nor want a CHP.

    Ask Ed....
    yep.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  9. #9
    Regular Member Kotyaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ESVA
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    yep.
    Thank you for the info, Ed!

  10. #10
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Save your money. If you really don't think you need training, take the online hunter safety course. It satisfies the requirement.
    Check with your local PD/Sheriff's office to see if they offer a free class that meets the requirements.
    However, I do suggest that down the rode the takingof a class that includes range time if you never taken one or if it's been a while since you last took one.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  11. #11
    Regular Member Kotyaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ESVA
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Check with your local PD/Sheriff's office to see if they offer a free class that meets the requirements.
    However, I do suggest that down the rode the takingof a class that includes range time if you never taken one or if it's been a while since you last took one.
    Definitely plan on doing some courses, but as I said, we live on the Eastern Shore. Things are a little slower out here, and a lot more spread out. Just to get down to the northern side of the CBBT takes almost two hours for us from where we are, so it's a matter of taking the courses when we are making a trip out to civilization.

    Sheriffs had someone to recommend when I went by there to do some fingerprinting for potential employment, but it's something the guy does on the side, so it's on his schedule whenever he's free.

    Don't really have local PD here.

  12. #12
    Regular Member GreatDaneMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Please don't take an online course. If you care one iota about carrying a gun to protect yourself and/or actually learning something, please don't waste money on some 30 minute video. Take a real class.

    rant off/
    Actually the one I took was 5 minutes start to finish. Under 10 mins from credit card to print out.


    It basicly said know the laws and dont shoot anyone/anything unless you have to.
    Last edited by GreatDaneMan; 08-25-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

  13. #13
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneMan View Post
    Actually the one I took was 5 minutes start to finish. Under 10 mins from credit card to print out.


    It basicly said know the laws and dont shoot anyone/anything unless you have to.

    That is terrible.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    That is terrible.
    NO.....that's worse than terrible Jim!

    I'll go ahead and stir up the flies anyway.

    I don't like P4P but have no real objections to people getting a CHP if they don't mind selling their soul so to speak.

    This board has plenty of them and that's their business.

    Some people can't afford a real class and either have legitimate training from somewhere else or from a competent 3rd party.

    The Hunter Safety Class is a legitimate way for these individuals to get a CHP without the expense.

    ENTER THE SNAKE OIL SALESMEN:

    hurry, hurry, hurry....get your Handgun Training in 5 minutes on the internet.


    I've even seen instructors that should know better, offering out of state classes that didn't even comply with the other state's regulations...

    But that's supposedly OK with some.

    THE POINT IS, if you want training, go to a reputable institute and pay for it.

    If you want to bypass it, take a Hunter Safety Class. At least you get something out of it.

    If you want to reinforce the image of a bunch of Slick Wille City People, packing a Rod...go to these Scam Artists. You might even find one that gives out CHP Badges with the class.

  15. #15
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Not strictly OC related...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotyaer View Post
    Thanks for the info, Peter.

    Would they take an MD hunter safety certificate? I'm in the northernmost part of Accomack County, so everything in the rest of VA is very inconvenient, unless something's going on in norfolk after 1PM on mon-wednesday, since i'll be in the area.
    Your hunter safety card from Maryland is valid. Call me when you have some time to talk.
    John

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •