• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not strictly OC related...

Kotyaer

Okay, fine, it's CC related, but only because I want to cover my bases in case I choose to cover up for certain occasions.

Since Virginia honors online courses...

Anyone know about Concealed-carry.net being legit?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Okay, fine, it's CC related, but only because I want to cover my bases in case I choose to cover up for certain occasions.

Since Virginia honors online courses...

Anyone know about Concealed-carry.net being legit?

Please don't take an online course. If you care one iota about carrying a gun to protect yourself and/or actually learning something, please don't waste money on some 30 minute video. Take a real class.

rant off/

Last edited:

Kotyaer

The reason I'm opting for the online course is to get the minimum qualifications out of the way, get the permit processing, and because I live on the Eastern Shore, so I'd have to work around my two jobs and the schedule of the individual who would train me.

twoskinsonemanns

I can see a reason for it. When I went to get my WV permit I considered it. The truth is I've been using firearms for decades, have had carry permits is multiple states, and have been through several courses (that I could not longer find the certification for). I knew the CHP course would be extremely basic and inconvenient compared to online. In the end I took a course in person just because I wanted to go shooting anyway. But to be frank I thought ahead of time the course would be a rehash of stuff I already knew and implemented and I was right. I did enjoy the instructor though and enjoyed debating him about OC/CC :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The reason I'm opting for the online course is to get the minimum qualifications out of the way, get the permit processing, and because I live on the Eastern Shore, so I'd have to work around my two jobs and the schedule of the individual who would train me.

Save your money. If you really don't think you need training, take the online hunter safety course. It satisfies the requirement.

Kotyaer

Thanks for the info, Peter.

Would they take an MD hunter safety certificate? I'm in the northernmost part of Accomack County, so everything in the rest of VA is very inconvenient, unless something's going on in norfolk after 1PM on mon-wednesday, since i'll be in the area.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Would they take an MD hunter safety certificate? I'm in the northernmost part of Accomack County, so everything in the rest of VA is very inconvenient, unless something's going on in norfolk after 1PM on mon-wednesday, since i'll be in the area.

Probably. I'm not looking at the statute but I think it just says hunter safety course.
That's a little out of my field of expertise.
I took a hunter safety class in grade school and neither have nor want a CHP.

Ask Ed....

Last edited:

Marco

Save your money. If you really don't think you need training, take the online hunter safety course. It satisfies the requirement.
Check with your local PD/Sheriff's office to see if they offer a free class that meets the requirements.
However, I do suggest that down the rode the takingof a class that includes range time if you never taken one or if it's been a while since you last took one.

Kotyaer

Check with your local PD/Sheriff's office to see if they offer a free class that meets the requirements.
However, I do suggest that down the rode the takingof a class that includes range time if you never taken one or if it's been a while since you last took one.

Definitely plan on doing some courses, but as I said, we live on the Eastern Shore. Things are a little slower out here, and a lot more spread out. Just to get down to the northern side of the CBBT takes almost two hours for us from where we are, so it's a matter of taking the courses when we are making a trip out to civilization.

Sheriffs had someone to recommend when I went by there to do some fingerprinting for potential employment, but it's something the guy does on the side, so it's on his schedule whenever he's free.

Don't really have local PD here.

GreatDaneMan

Please don't take an online course. If you care one iota about carrying a gun to protect yourself and/or actually learning something, please don't waste money on some 30 minute video. Take a real class.

rant off/

Actually the one I took was 5 minutes start to finish. Under 10 mins from credit card to print out. :banana:

It basicly said know the laws and dont shoot anyone/anything unless you have to.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That is terrible.

NO.....that's worse than terrible Jim!

I'll go ahead and stir up the flies anyway.

I don't like P4P but have no real objections to people getting a CHP if they don't mind selling their soul so to speak.

This board has plenty of them and that's their business.

Some people can't afford a real class and either have legitimate training from somewhere else or from a competent 3rd party.

The Hunter Safety Class is a legitimate way for these individuals to get a CHP without the expense.

ENTER THE SNAKE OIL SALESMEN:

hurry, hurry, hurry....get your Handgun Training in 5 minutes on the internet.

I've even seen instructors that should know better, offering out of state classes that didn't even comply with the other state's regulations...

But that's supposedly OK with some.

THE POINT IS, if you want training, go to a reputable institute and pay for it.

If you want to bypass it, take a Hunter Safety Class. At least you get something out of it.

If you want to reinforce the image of a bunch of Slick Wille City People, packing a Rod...go to these Scam Artists. You might even find one that gives out CHP Badges with the class.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

Your hunter safety card from Maryland is valid. Call me when you have some time to talk.
John

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk