• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy vet shot by deputy in own backyard—family seeks answers

EMNofSeattle

I don't know, before I rush to judge any player in this party there needs to be alot more information involved, something that seems to be in short supply. my questions are

A) woman was looking for her ex husband in backyard? Did she call police thinking her abusive ex was in the yard? Did her neighbors call and report a prowler? or did the cops just go onto her property un-invited for sh*ts and giggles?

B) She is a military veteran investigating the possibility of a prowler in her own yard? was she armed while doing so?
c) The shot wounds as described in the media are highly unusual, it seems the brother is saying she was shot from a side facing angle, with the bullet entering her breast near the nipple, then out into her arm exiting near her pinkie finger. to me this only makes sense if she was holding something in her hand near her chest, what? a pistol? knife? cell phone? maybe she expected cops and had her wallet to show ID? the news article doesn't mention that.
D) brother claims she stablized herself after the shot by grabbing the officers shoulder, and the article doesn't state she was arrested for "assaulting an officer" after doing so, this indicates the officer must not have viewed her as a threat at that time, if so why was deadly force deployed in the first place, did he only realized he f***ed up after shooting? why? he must've had a description of her as a complainant is the only reasonable explanation i can think of, unless he just likes shooting people.

Far too many questions to make a definitive conclusion at the moment, although I will grant the previous commenters that the initial report certianly smells more the officer then for the navy vet

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Cop is looking for a male in a ski mask. Encounters a female in nightclothes.

And to top it off:
When deputies ran into the woman, Berhalter had a "spontaneous reaction

Is this the new bureaucratic-speak for brain fart?

If his "spontaneous reaction" was to tense his hand, why the :cuss: was his booger hook on the bang switch before he made the consious decision to shoot? The word "negligence" - as is gross negligence, just screams its name all over this. Add to that the department's obvious failure to properly train and supervise the deputy. This is an ambulance chaser's wet dream come true.

What the lady was doing in her yard, or why she was doing anything in her yard, has nothing to do with how badly the deputy screwed the pooch. Anybody that tries to go there probably also says that women - especially 70-year old nuns - that get raped were asking for it.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

I am sure the deputy was very polite before and after he shot the woman. For some being polite makes all the difference when violating rights.(Sarcasm)

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Cop is looking for a male in a ski mask. Encounters a female in nightclothes.

And to top it off:

Is this the new bureaucratic-speak for brain fart?

If his "spontaneous reaction" was to tense his hand, why the :cuss: was his booger hook on the bang switch before he made the consious decision to shoot? The word "negligence" - as is gross negligence, just screams its name all over this. Add to that the department's obvious failure to properly train and supervise the deputy. This is an ambulance chaser's wet dream come true.

What the lady was doing in her yard, or why she was doing anything in her yard, has nothing to do with how badly the deputy screwed the pooch. Anybody that tries to go there probably also says that women - especially 70-year old nuns - that get raped were asking for it.

stay safe.

While it doesn't appear applicable in this case, since the media seems to imply she didn't call police, the fact is if you know officers are in your area looking for a lurker, you should stay inside and not be wandering your yard, sure it's your right to sit on your back lawn in your jammies whenever you want, but being right means nothing if a trigger happy deputy puts you in a wheel chair or a grave. I got to believe they were looking for the same people, she's in her yard searching for a lurker, and the cops are in the neighborhood searching for a lurker, this is not coincidence people. the ex husband must've been the same lurker to both parties. If you suspect a lurker in your yard to correct procedure is to retreat to a room you've designated and equipped as a "safe room" in your residence and report it to the police. 1) searching for a potentially violent individual in the darkness, especially when you're unarmed (as she was) is a bad idea for obvious reasons, and 2) if you suspect a lurker in your neighborhood chances are a neighbor has already reported him and you going outside to search for him may make you the "suspicious man in the neighborhood" and if you're incredibly unlucky the officer dispatched gets spooked easily and starts shooting at lurkers. again I'll take not getting shot over being right.

As far as the rape example goes skidmark, that's a low blow, but since you raised the question, I'll answer, no one is responsible for commiting a rape other then the rapist himself.
that being said, I don't think society places enough value on educating women (and boys/men becuase men can be raped as well) on how to protect themselves from violent attacks, or how to read "pre-incident indicators" or how to avoid situations that can lead to such problems. The only crime prevention tips I've seen taught in high school are "walk in pairs" (not always possible) and "call the cops" (because apparently your cell phone will freeze time long enough for you to complete the call and have officers arrive on scene) no mention of learning martial arts, no mention of carrying pepper spray, no mention of getting a CPL when you turn 21, no mention of active threat assessment or anything like that. I don't blame the rape victim, I think society as a whole is to blame becuase society doesn't generally seem to encourage being alert, one quick example of that one night I'm taking a classmate home from college and so we're coming up to my car and I pull a little flashlight out of my pocket and before unlocking the doors and getting in I sweep the light under the vehicle and then look into the windows with the light to be sure Jason isn't hiding in the back, then I open the car, and she looks at me and goes "you know paranoia isn't normal right"? case in point more attacks would be prevented if that attitude were changed just my $00.02 on that issue

OC for ME

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/aug/21/family-of-woman-shot-by-deputy-demands-answers/
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-family-of-sheriff-shooting-speaks-20120821,0,6292734.story
http://www.10news.com/news/31374150/detail.html

The deputies entered upon her property with out notice, it seems, based on deputies statements.

The victim hand nothing in her hands based on deputies statements.

The deputies were looking for 'a' masked man based on deputies statements.

She thought it might have been her ex-husband and went out to look, and the problem with this is what?

Enough information is available based on the reports of what the deputies stated, that the deputy who shot the victim is in big heep trouble. Now will the deputy actually be in big heep trouble? Only time will tell but if the wheel of justice turn they will turn very very slowly and likely run over the victim not the perp.

Gunslinger

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/aug/21/family-of-woman-shot-by-deputy-demands-answers/
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-family-of-sheriff-shooting-speaks-20120821,0,6292734.story
http://www.10news.com/news/31374150/detail.html

The deputies entered upon her property with out notice, it seems, based on deputies statements.

The victim hand nothing in her hands based on deputies statements.

The deputies were looking for 'a' masked man based on deputies statements.

She thought it might have been her ex-husband and went out to look, and the problem with this is what?

Enough information is available based on the reports of what the deputies stated, that the deputy who shot the victim is in big heep trouble. Now will the deputy actually be in big heep trouble? Only time will tell but if the wheel of justice turn they will turn very very slowly and likely run over the victim not the perp.

No, no. The cop apologized and as they are above the law, not a problem. If you are walking around in your own back yard you are asking for trouble from the Stormtroopers. Serves her right. I sure hope they don't charge her with anything. After all, if the cops are in your neighborhood you have no right to be on your own property. You should stay inside with your hands in plain view in case they kick in your door by "mistake." Then maybe they won't gun you down. Then again, maybe they will.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Orey, whose family told the newspaper she was the first woman in the Navy to earn her wings of gold as a search and rescue swimmer, was released from hospital.
But still her brother wants answers.

"I feel they are trying to cover up their mistakes," Morgan told Fox 5 News. "They know the truth. They just don't want to admit it. All we want is for them to own up to their mistake and be responsible just like anybody else."

He's been placed on leave pending review. The PD is being responsible, as that's the responsible thing to do. It will take time. Until that process is finished, no one can logically say "they just don't want to admit it" or "they're trying to cover it up."

In the meantime, I very strongly believe law enforcement agencies throughout the United States of America need a serious primer on three things:

1. Their oaths of office are to protect and defend our Constitution, which includes all rights as enumerated in its Amendments, and that their loyalty is to our Constitution first and foremost, not the mayor, the sheriff, the governor, or the President.

2. The Second Amendment and the corresponding state laws supporting our right to keep and bear arms.

3. How to properly engage without firing on honest, law-abiding citizens who're simply defending themselves, their loved ones, and their property.

Seriously - these ridiculous killings of citizens are inexcusable, and must stop.