• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College carry support?

Esanders2008

ESANDERS, i would like to set up info booths on or very near campus. maybe in a high traffic area that serves a lot of the collage members. this could be just a table with info of crimes that have happened and/or info on the VCDL and SCCC. let me know if we can set this up

Ok! I will see if we can set up a table out on the mall (it is our central area on campus). I will paint it as a "safety awareness campaign" If not on campus, then possibly on or near hampton blvd, but our traffic will be less.

Esanders2008

I would like to hold a campus safety awareness event some time in the near future. This event will be centered around a table on the mall near the lion. On our table will be flyers addressing common safety concerns of students and how to best protect oneself using proactive , preventative measures, such as the buddy system and ODU's safe ride program. Also in attendance will be colleagues of mine from VCDL, OCDO, and SCCC. Please let me know what I have to do to get this ball rolling.

Yours in mutual study,
Eddy Sanders

This is the message I am planning on sending to the SGA. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know so I can make changes prior to submission.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would like to hold a campus safety awareness event some time in the near future. This event will be centered around a table on the mall near the lion. On our table will be flyers addressing common safety concerns of students and how to best protect oneself using proactive , preventative measures, such as the buddy system and ODU's safe ride program. Also in attendance will be colleagues of mine from VCDL, OCDO, and SCCC. Please let me know what I have to do to get this ball rolling.

Yours in mutual study,
Eddy Sanders

This is the message I am planning on sending to the SGA. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know so I can make changes prior to submission.

This a clip from another video I'm working on Eddy:
This young man has been extremely effective in Maine and offers good advice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3WR-pmYyQ

papa bear

I'm with you ESANDERS just let me know when and where.

i am going to do a table in Christiansburg this coming weekend. if you would lie to come down. just give me a holler

twpetry

i am going to do a table in Christiansburg this coming weekend. if you would lie to come down. just give me a holler
You know, now that I think about it that's a great idea. If you can create a network of students from colleges across VA and take turns going to different schools, all the people who come together who aren't from the school you are visiting cannot be stopped from carrying, since they are visitors.

papa bear

i am thinking that we would have to have permission to set up on campus (though Hass and Garderd didn't at our last protest). but it can be gotten. we just need some one local to spear head it

Esanders2008

I wish I could.. it would be about 600 miles round trip, and I simply can not afford the gas :(
You know, now that I think about it that's a great idea. If you can create a network of students from colleges across VA and take turns going to different schools, all the people who come together who aren't from the school you are visiting cannot be stopped from carrying, since they are visitors.
This IS a pretty good idea, except the issue of travel. https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=universities+in+virginia&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&hl=en that is a link to a google maps search of universities in VA. While I could travel between NSU and ODU, as well as other more local schools, going out past Richmond would be difficult.

i am thinking that we would have to have permission to set up on campus (though Hass and Garderd didn't at our last protest). but it can be gotten. we just need some one local to spear head it
I don't mind spearheading at all. Did you see the email I am planning on sending to ODU SGA? I haven't sent it yet; I wanted to get it peer-reviewed so I don't say anything stupid :lol:

Esanders2008

Also, I talked to someone about ODU being public property, and they told me it wasn't.. Can anyone provide a cite stating that it is?

nuc65

Activist Member
Are the college regulations in force for OC in the public right of ways? Or is it now considered illegal to, as a non-member, OC through the campus without entering a building? What colleges now have regulations promulgated in illegal fashion (seeing as how they have passed a public safety law without going through the legal channel for promulgating laws)?

Esanders2008

Are the college regulations in force for OC in the public right of ways? Or is it now considered illegal to, as a non-member, OC through the campus without entering a building? What colleges now have regulations promulgated in illegal fashion (seeing as how they have passed a public safety law without going through the legal channel for promulgating laws)?

The regulations are in force only for students, faculty, staff, and invited guests (meaning spectators of events where a ticket was purchased)

Esanders2008

So I just contacted the SCCC and let them know I am planning an event. I will post their response here.
EDIT
I also contacted WAVY-TV 10 and asked if they would be interested in covering another event.

2nd EDIT

WAVY-TV 10 just got back to me and said they would come out, as long as there isn't breaking news that requires the resources. They covered it last time, so I'm hopeful :D

Last edited:

Black Leaf

Credit isn't the issue, it's just a symptom. To simplify it, mostly because I'm real busy today, the NRA is not going to help. They will actually make matters worse if they do get involved.

I can't give you any more suggestions than I have. If you find warm, supportive bodies on campus that are willing to work for this, there is a chance that eventually you can get it changed.

If not and you're in this all alone, might as well spend your time on other matters.

You can contact VCDL for help, but so far they haven't had much success for a number of reasons.
You can contact SCCC....again, they have a non existent track record, but at least it's an organization.

Students for Concealed Carry has a track record. Most recently and notably, we got campus carry legal in the entire state of Colorado. See Regents of the University of Colorado v. Students for Concealed Carry on Campus : http://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/opinions/2010/10SC344.pdf.

Esanders2008

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Students for Concealed Carry has a track record. Most recently and notably, we got campus carry legal in the entire state of Colorado. See Regents of the University of Colorado v. Students for Concealed Carry on Campus : http://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/opinions/2010/10SC344.pdf.

May be Black Leaf, but this is Virginia and they have no track record!
I believe Pat went to Colorado, so if you are him, you know my feelings.

Better yet, instead of starting an outtastate argument....Eddy, you've asked about how to go about it. It's been answered honestly by several people. Aside from trying to make CHP's apply to non students, staff and faculty, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Look at the options and choose the best path for yourself.

Last edited:

papa bear

Better yet, instead of starting an outtastate argument....Eddy, you've asked about how to go about it. It's been answered honestly by several people. Aside from trying to make CHP's apply to non students, staff and faculty, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Look at the options and choose the best path for yourself.

PETER NAP. i am surprised at you, as long as there are people out there getting discriminated against on their second amendment rights an you don't "have a dog" in this fight. please tell me i have got this wrong

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
PETER NAP. i am surprised at you, as long as there are people out there getting discriminated against on their second amendment rights an you don't "have a dog" in this fight. please tell me i have got this wrong

No, you didn't get it wrong.
I was concerned about it in the beginning even though my kids have long since finished school.

The result was VCDL trying time and time again to push unacceptable legislation through and snotty comments from SCCC.

There is a definite bridge now. I'm all for College campus carry and even acknowledge the only way to push it through is using P4P....just as long as the P4P stays on Campus. But don't cross the bridge with it.

I gave the OP the best advice I could. If he wants to go with SCCC who has had zero success moving their agenda in Virginia, that's his business. It won't be successful but I guess that's a learning process too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
@PETERNAP. so what is your suggestion to get carry on campus, or are you opposed to carrying on campus?

I think I've already made them unless there is some magic formula I missed over the years.

First, he has to have a support base of people that are willing to work for it, come up with workable goals, organize to get a patron(s), introduce the bill, lobby for passage.

No one is going to do it for him. It's grass roots. Your idea of off campus tables to spread the word is good. Now he has to set them up, print the material, man the tables and get the support to make it happen.

I repeat, this isn't magic and it isn't easy and it won't happen overnight.

Today or tomorrow I'll renew my Lobbyist registration, I've been in contact with my group all summer and even another small group. I don't have time to do it but no one else is stepping up.

Thankfully, we aren't gun advocates. At least farmers get along and want the same basic things!

Now instead of asking me to repeat myself which I hate doing (The I don't chew my terbaccy but once philosophy)
You should read the entire thread to see what I recommend and if I'm in favor of campus carry.

I'll help you out:

Start by gathering like minded students. You'll find out how many classmates you really hate pretty quickly.
lol.gif
BTW, that doesn't change after you graduate
uhoh.gif

Anyway, there is power in numbers.

Register to vote. Politicians are only afraid of angry registered voters at election time...and Holy water.

Come up with a workable statute. The key word is workable and that means one that will allow you to carry while not stepping on the toes of other gun owners. This is one of the only situations where I would recommend using a CHP as leverage. Just make sure it only concerns students on campus or it won't make it out of committee. If someone tells you different, tell them to do some recent history studies.

Get to know a lot of legislators because you have to get a bill introduced. There are really very few if any true Pro Gun Legislators....just some that are less anti than others.

Plan on doing this yourselves. There is help available but until there is something solid, you won't get much. Be very careful dealing with Students for Concealed Carry. The individual groups are OK but the state leadership is not and their track record is nonexistent.

I would strongly recommend you develop some contacts at the Appalachian School of Law.

Last, don't get discouraged. It will take time and a lot of work.

Good Luck!

You asked:
@PETERNAP. so what is your suggestion to get carry on campus, or are you opposed to carrying on campus?

And as recently as 2 posts back:

I'm all for College campus carry and even acknowledge the only way to push it through is using P4P....just as long as the P4P stays on Campus. But don't cross the bridge with it.

Last edited:

Black Leaf

I am not Pat, and I don't know who that is.

I think it is a bit unfair for you to originally have said "You have no track record", for me to point out we do have a track record, and then for you to say somewhat dismissively "this is Virginia!". We are a nationwide organization. We have never made any attempt to be a Virginia focused specific organization. VCDL is a better organization for Virginia specific issues, and they do excellent work.

As for Virginia specifically, we did finally get some success at Liberty University by getting faculty carry and student carry outside of the classroom. Ben Neiman and SCC laid the ground work for that success at Liberty several years ago, and freedom finally achieved a step in the right direction after the efforts of our group and other like minded people. Is it ideal? Of course not, but we haven't given up either.

As for campus carry generally, because of our support and the support of other organizations like ours that share our cause, we have achieved success at 221 campuses in 7 states nationwide currently that allow some form or degree of campus carry, and to date, this has caused exactly zero problems, anywhere. They are:

70 campuses in Utah and Colorado (all 4-year public colleges in Utah,
Colorado State University, and all community colleges in Colorado)
+ 1 Liberty University in Virginia
+ 15 Oregon community colleges
+ 9 additional campuses of community colleges
+ 9 Oregon public colleges
+ 2 additional Oregon Institute of Technology campuses
+ 26 University of Wisconsin campuses
+ 49 campuses of 16 Wisconsin technical universities
+ 37 campuses of the public/private colleges and community colleges in
Mississippi
+ 3 campuses in Washington state

SCC is currently looking at our options as to where to go next. We have always been an independently financed organization, and we primary subsist on the small donations of college students. As a result, our budget is basically non-existent. We do what we can with the resources we have, and we are proud of our results to date. We will allocate our limited resources to those states or localities where it appears we can achieve the greatest victories for the greatest number of people.

In the meantime, I suggest everyone get involved with some gun rights group somewhere. A rising tide raises all boats, and any advancement in gun rights generally will help our specific niche cause as well.

Last edited: