• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor Malloy's office attempts to stack the deck

Edward Peruta

It appears that Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy DOES NOT want to appoint Attorney Craig Fishbein to fill the vacant seat left open by the passing of Art Carr!!

Read the Board of Firearms Permit Examiner's letter and the Governor's response by:

STATE OF CONNECTICUT

OFFICE OF GOVERNMENTAL ACCOUNTABILITY

BOARD OF FIREARMS PERMIT EXAMINERS

20 Trinity Street, 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Floor Office: 1-860-256-2977
Hartford, Connecticut 06106Fax: 1-860-256-2997
www.ct.gov.bfpe

August 20, 2012

Governor Dannel P. Malloy
Office of the Governor
State Capitol
210 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106

Dear
Governor Malloy;

The state Board of Firearms Permit Examiners is a 7 person, volunteer, board that conducts administrative hearings for people who are denied a permit to carry a pistol or revolver by their local issuing authority, primarily Chiefs of Police, or who have an existing permit to carry a pistol or revolver revoked by the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection.

In March of this year, a long standing member of the Board, Mr. Arthur Carr, suddenly and unexpectedly passed away He was the representative of the Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association, Inc., which is authorized one seat on the Board by CGS 29-32b(a).

Due to the Board being comprised of only seven members, even the absence of one board member has created a challenge to assure the presence of a quorum at each meeting and to work at reducing the 'backlog' of people waiting for their cases to be heard. The board is currently a defendant in a federal law suit in which the length of time an appeal is heard is at issue. We have been informed that the Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association has submitted their nominee to replace Mr. Carr.

The full Board voted, at the July 12, 2012 meeting, to have the undersigned write this letter respectfully urging the appointment of that nominee and fill the vacancy on the Board if the nominee fulfills all prerequisites of the position.

Assuring you of our cooperation in all matters of a mutual interest, we remain

Sincerely yours,

T. WILLIAM KNAPP Secretary on behalf of the entire Board
-----Original Message-----
[mailto:Melissa.Stine@ct.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:47 PM
To:

Subject: Board of Firearms Permit Examiners
Importance: High

Good afternoon Mr. Knapp,

Yes, the Governor's office has received 1 name from the Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association, Inc. as a recommendation to fill the vacancy. However on Monday August 20th, we requested an additional 4 names from the President of the Association for the Governor's review, to bring the total number of candidates to 5. We await for these additional recommendations.

Please feel free to call me should you have any additional questions.

Best,
Melissa

Melissa Stine
Boards and Commissions
Office of Governor Dannel P. Malloy
210 Capitol Avenue | Hartford, CT 06106
ph: (860) 524-7330 | fax: (860) 524-7396 | cell: (860) 797-1027

Connecticut law entitles the Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Associaton to representation on the Board, but does not mandate that their representative be a member of same.

Even though the law does not mandate the submission of more than one name, maybe the
Connecticut State Rifle & Revolver Association, Inc. should submit at lease 4 more names in addition to Craig Fishbein.

I'm sure that any of the following knowledgeable Second Amendment attorneys would be more than qualified to fill the current vacancy.

Attorney Douglas Hall - Retired State Police Sergeant and Former Executive officer of the State Police License and Firearm Unit

Attorney Martha Dean
- Former candidate for Attorney General of the State of Connecticut

Attorney Sung-Ho Hwang
- A well-known immigration attorney and the President-elect of the New Haven County Bar Association.

Attorney Rachel M. Baird
- An experienced Firearm attorney located in Torrington, CT.

Attorney Ralph Sherman - An experienced Firearm attorney located in Torrington, CT.

Sec. 29-32b. Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. Appeals to board. Hearings. (a) There shall be established a Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, within the Department of Public Safety for administrative purposes only, hereinafter referred to as the board, to be comprised of seven members appointed by the Governor to serve during his term and until their successors are appointed and qualify. With the exception of public members, the members shall be appointed from nominees of the Commissioner of Public Safety, the Connecticut State Association of Chiefs of Police, the Commissioner of Environmental Protection, The Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association, Inc., and Ye Connecticut Gun Guild, Inc., and each of said organizations shall be entitled to representation on the board. At least one member of the board shall be a lawyer licensed to practice in this state, who shall act as chairman of the board during the hearing of appeals brought under this section.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Nominate ME !!! And to check their qualifications? Really, WHAT QUALIFICATIONS? Like all hearing officers in CT, there are zip for requirements.

At least I know Chapter 54 ....

And to whom was being referred to in respect to a suit about not complying with Chapter 54's time requirements? Mucho interestado.

Last edited:

SPOProds

Nominate me, I'm in Maine now but would fight for every appellate to the death. BRING IN THE LIONS!! seriously though, I think Malloy needs to stop being a ****** and just key the NFPE sought who they want. Had this every been an issue before?

Edward Peruta

Yes, there is history

Nominate me, I'm in Maine now but would fight for every appellate to the death. BRING IN THE LIONS!! seriously though, I think Malloy needs to stop being a ****** and just key the NFPE sought who they want. Had this every been an issue before?

When individuals were attempting to have M. Peter Kuck removed or replaced, the Governor's office requested that Ye Connecticut Gun Guild submit additional names for consideration. (Read the email at the end of this post)

The Guild held fast with only one name and Mr. Kuck's position on the board was preserved.

The individual groups submit a single name to assure the person they select receives the appointment.

There is NO requirement to submit multiple names for the Governor's benefit.

Meanwhile the entitlement to be represented as found in Section 29-32 (a) is being denied by Governor Malloy NOT appointing Attorney Craig Fishbein the chosen individual to represent The Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association.

Susan Mazzoccoli [mailto:Susan.Mazzoccoli@po.state.ct.us]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:10 PM
To: 'Adams, Christopher'
Subject: RE: Bd. of Firearms Permit Examiners/ renomination contact info

I just notified Maryann that you hand delivered the packet. Sarah Richards also works in that office. Maybe she is the one who took it. Maryann is leaving the Board & Commissions office to work at a new office that handles property rights (eminant domain etc.) Det. Mattson and Karanda tried to make an appointment with Maryann but she convinced them they didn’t need an appointment. She told them she had enough information and was sending a letter to Ye CT Gun Guild asking for 3 names to appoint to the Board. I wish Maryann wasn’t leaving. Barb doesn’t think anything will be done about Peter now that Maryann is leaving. I don’t either.
Sue

Sec. 29-32b. Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. Appeals to board. Hearings. (a) There shall be established a Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, within the Department of Public Safety for administrative purposes only, hereinafter referred to as the board, to be comprised of seven members appointed by the Governor to serve during his term and until their successors are appointed and qualify. With the exception of public members, the members shall be appointed from nominees of the Commissioner of Public Safety, the Connecticut State Association of Chiefs of Police, the Commissioner of Environmental Protection, The Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association, Inc., and Ye Connecticut Gun Guild, Inc., and each of said organizations shall be entitled to representation on the board. At least one member of the board shall be a lawyer licensed to practice in this state, who shall act as chairman of the board during the hearing of appeals brought under this section.

Last edited:

KennyB

Seriously, is anyone suprised about this request from the governor? He's an anti-gun Progressive. He's just looking for an anti-gunner he can appoint. That's all.

GoldCoaster

Seriously, is anyone suprised about this request from the governor? He's an anti-gun Progressive. He's just looking for an anti-gunner he can appoint. That's all.

So the candidate submitted should be:

1. Attorney Craig Fishbein
2. Craig Fishbein Esq
3. Mr Craig Fishbein
4. Craig C Fishbein
5. Craig C Fishbein Esq

There you go Dannel, do as you're supposed to and not as you want to.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So the candidate submitted should be:

1. Attorney Craig Fishbein
2. Craig Fishbein Esq
3. Mr Craig Fishbein
4. Craig C Fishbein
5. Craig C Fishbein Esq

There you go Dannel, do as you're supposed to and not as you want to.

Now he wouldn't be able to decide .. too many choices ....