• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video: Cop's expert open carry response goes viral

Dave_pro2a

I think you CAN present it as an argument if it's a relatively new constitutional issue and the states in question have similar laws, but the court is never required to accept out of state precedent for their decisions. let me research the issue further, I'll be back in a bit with what I find

That's my understanding too, which is a far cry from Workman's assertion that "the Washington precedents don't count." It actually CAN count, but in a discretionary manner.

LkWd_Don

To me Officer Nork detained the OC'er Under Color of the Law without proper justification.

This as far as I am aware, is a Violation of Section 242 of Title 18 of our US Code.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/crm/242fin.php

TITLE 18, U.S.C., SECTION 242

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;
~~ snipped

Last edited:

LkWd_Don

Good, now find a court that will agree that's what happened.

That would be for the person who was illegally detained (under the color of the law) to undertake as the injured party petitioning for a redress of grievance.

If I should ever find myself in that situation, you can rest assured, I will. But as I am not someone who goes out baiting others into an encounter of that nature, it may be a very long time before it happens. I say baiting as I would swear I recognize the voice on that video as being someone who does that regularly just to be able to post the encounters.

EMNofSeattle

That would be for the person who was illegally detained (under the color of the law) to undertake as the injured party petitioning for a redress of grievance.

If I should ever find myself in that situation, you can rest assured, I will. But as I am not someone who goes out baiting others into an encounter of that nature, it may be a very long time before it happens. I say baiting as I would swear I recognize the voice on that video as being someone who does that regularly just to be able to post the encounters.

Well I think Workman posted in his article that the guy does in fact try to state LE encounters to video tape them.

FireFighterchen

Activist Member
Here's a link to State v. Spencer
http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/gunstuff/legal/State_v_Spencer.pdf

basically spencer was walking with a loaded AK clone rifle keeping his head down and walking briskly and avoiding eye contact with passerby's, he was arrested and convicted of violation of RCW 9.41.270 and the appeals court affirmed his conviction

So it is illegal to carry a loaded long gun openly because the courts have decided a reasonable person would be frightened by a long gun being carried in a place that doesn't require such force? Or the "walking briskly and avoiding eye contact" makes it illegal? Also, can you provide me with any writing as to how the rifle was being held? It seems, according to the link, it was being carried in manner that it was ready to be used. Does that mean it was slung in front of him, with his hand on the grip? Or just because the "assault rifle" had a "clip" in it (I won't even go into how wrong they are on firearm terminology)?

What ever happened to his dog that he was walking?

So...just to be safe, because my car is in the shop right now, and I am using my motorcycle, I can not carry my rifle slung across my back to the range because it might frighten someone?

On a side note: here in lies the problem with using the word "reasonable." It's definition changes between people, and so reasonable should not be a definitive term used when talking about the 2nd amendment. But alas, no one really cares what the Constitution says, just what they feel it means. I think Spencer passed many people while carrying that AK, and all those people didn't have a problem, until 1 person did. It would seem the reasonable people were fine with it, but an unreasonable person decided it was unacceptable. No?

Jayd1981

The argument about the stop aside, I'm surprised no one has brought up that the officer may have damaged the guys personal property. You DO NOT function check a rimfire gun, every .22 I have has stated in the manual do not dry fire. Doing so can / may depending on the firearm cause damage to the firing pin as it will bounce it off the the chamber face. I know that with the GSG's (the first .22 MP5 Clones, I have 2) the firing pins are easily damaged through dry firing, and light primer strikes can quickly occur in them.

OC for ME

It is the totality of the circumstances in Spencer.
No, it was not the totality of the circumstances (facts). The court shot their entire opinion in foot the with these two "facts".

On August 19, 1991, at approximately 10 p.m., Spencer was taking a walk with his dog. He carried his AK-47 semiautomatic [***2] rifle, with the clip attached, on his shoulder as he walked. 1
Stated as fact by the court based on eye witness account. Not "allegedly carried....".

Officer Wall approached Spencer in her vehicle and noticed that he was carrying a rifle in "a hostile, assaultive type manner with the weapon ready".
The cop likely lied because she was ignernt too just as ignernt as the cop in the video. Saw Spencer witha AK slung on his shoulder and "perceived" a threat just as those nitwits who called in the MWAEBGITCQ (man with a evil black gun I'm terrified come quick).

State v. Spencer provides the precedent to "chill" LG carry just as Spencer argued. Another huge hit against our 2A right in WA.

As to the "looks like a ....."

http://www.kids-army.com/toy-hand-grenade/

sudden valley gunner

What was the weather like that night?

Not sure, I don't agree with the Spencer decision I feel it was a stretch and an erosion of rights handing Statist cops and Prosecutors a little foot hold in being able to encroach upon, harass, or arrest gun carriers.

But many folks will latch on to specifics of the case and say you can't carry a loaded AR or you can't do this...but the judges didn't mention any specifics they took the total circumstances in as Gogo had mentioned. I think it's dumb and a grasp at giving the state more power over someone who had done nothing illegal.

OC for ME

CORE TERMS: weapon, alarm, bear arms, carrying, unconstitutionally vague, rifle, vagueness, vague, reasonable person, self-defense, definite, walking, displaying, ordinance's, Criminal Law, clip, public safety, public's interest, unconstitutionally overbroad, individual's right, narrowly drawn, overbreadth, street, residential, noticed, alarmed, police power, reasonably necessary, provide adequate, present statute

What's missing? "Assualtive type manner" and "weapon ready."

A BS ruling.

OC for ME

Not sure, I don't agree with the Spencer decision I feel it was a stretch and an erosion of rights handing Statist cops and Prosecutors a little foot hold in being able to encroach upon, harass, or arrest gun carriers.

But many folks will latch on to specifics of the case and say you can't carry a loaded AR or you can't do this...but the judges didn't mention any specifics they took the total circumstances in as Gogo had mentioned. I think it's dumb and a grasp at giving the state more power over someone who had done nothing illegal.
The court sided with the cop's version of how he carried and not, apparently, how the eye witnesses said he carried (if they even gave a description of how he carried, in spite of the fact that the court stated that the MWAEBGITCQ was apparently slung over his shoulder.

demeanor, low 60's, 5-10 MPH winds, rain likely. Is this common weather that/this time of year for Kent WA. Demeanor......hmmmm, how would you walk in this type of weather if the historical record is accurate.

rapgood

That's my understanding too, which is a far cry from Workman's assertion that "the Washington precedents don't count." It actually CAN count, but in a discretionary manner.

Yep. Workman's comment that "Washington precedents don't count" in Oregon is precisely accurate. What is considered "precedent" authority in Washington can be used in Oregon cases as "persuasive" authority. The distinction is that in Washington, the holding in the previous case must be followed by later courts in the same jurisdiction (subject to some allowable exceptions). Persuasive authority is viewed as just that: persuasive, and not required to be followed by the courts where it is offered as authority.

Dave_pro2a

Yep. Workman's comment that "Washington precedents don't count" in Oregon is precisely accurate. What is considered "precedent" authority in Washington can be used in Oregon cases as "persuasive" authority. The distinction is that in Washington, the holding in the previous case must be followed by later courts in the same jurisdiction (subject to some allowable exceptions). Persuasive authority is viewed as just that: persuasive, and not required to be followed by the courts where it is offered as authority.

Yes, that's my understanding... which means Workman did a lazy 'journalists' short hand explanation imho.

doesn't count /= can't be possibly used (or useful)

sudden valley gunner

The court sided with the cop's version of how he carried and not, apparently, how the eye witnesses said he carried (if they even gave a description of how he carried, in spite of the fact that the court stated that the MWAEBGITCQ was apparently slung over his shoulder.

demeanor, low 60's, 5-10 MPH winds, rain likely. Is this common weather that/this time of year for Kent WA. Demeanor......hmmmm, how would you walk in this type of weather if the historical record is accurate.

Don't disagree at all. The courts will continue to justify and rationalize statist behavior.

DocWalker

Example #1, no it wouldn't, becuase it's not illegal to carry a spotlight around, however it is illegal to carry a full auto mp-5 around in Oregon without proper paperwork which must be presented to the officer or the court if it is full auto. QUOTE]

It is also illegal to drive a car without proper paperwork (registration, insurance, DL) so using the logic that a cop can stop and inspect any weapon he feels might be a full auto due to "needing the proper paperwork" could be applied to stop anyone driving a car due to them "needing the proper paperwork".

What is the difference?

WalkingWolf

Example #1, no it wouldn't, becuase it's not illegal to carry a spotlight around, however it is illegal to carry a full auto mp-5 around in Oregon without proper paperwork which must be presented to the officer or the court if it is full auto. QUOTE]

It is also illegal to drive a car without proper paperwork (registration, insurance, DL) so using the logic that a cop can stop and inspect any weapon he feels might be a full auto due to "needing the proper paperwork" could be applied to stop anyone driving a car due to them "needing the proper paperwork".

What is the difference?

The difference is driving is a privilege, not a right. It is illegal to carry concealed, unless there is a permit, yet the judge example in Deberry is that where concealed carry is legal, TEXAS there is no RAS. The presence of a firearm where legal, with privilege papers is not RAS. Even if the gun was full auto the officer still did not have RAS. The same reason that a police officer cannot demand ID to see if a person is not a felon, even though it is a crime for a felon to possess a firearm.

sudden valley gunner

The difference is driving is a privilege, not a right. It is illegal to carry concealed, unless there is a permit, yet the judge example in Deberry is that where concealed carry is legal, TEXAS there is no RAS. The presence of a firearm where legal, with privilege papers is not RAS. Even if the gun was full auto the officer still did not have RAS. The same reason that a police officer cannot demand ID to see if a person is not a felon, even though it is a crime for a felon to possess a firearm.

In our state you can't pull someone over for driving just to check they have a license. We don't even allow DUI check points.

Thank you for posting this officer Wolf, the rest I have argued this point here, there are some who insists it creates RAS, because it is possibly a crime.:rolleyes: Not quite getting what RAS is.