• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jogging Gun?

MainelyGlock

So, I've decided to start going on outdoor night-runs instead of running on the treadmill. I'd really like to carry more than my streamlight and karambit, but the last time I carried my Glock 22 it didn't go over so well (naturally). I'm looking to buy a small, light gun in the near future, mostly just for my night jogs. Because it will only be used for this i don't want to spend more than maybe $400-$500. Currently looking at the Ruger LCR/LCP's with a laser. Any suggestions? Also trying to figure out how to carry it. I run in basketball shorts/T-shirt.

hjmoosejaw

From all of the reviews I've seen on the S&W M&P Shield, it's supposed to be a really nice gun. They made like 7000 of them initially and sold out already. Now you have to order them and wait most places. They come in 9 and 40. Suppose to be a real nice trigger, accurate, dependable. A lot of people that have always carried Glocks, Rugers, etc. have made the shield their main carry gun now. Just keep hearing and reading all good things about this gun. They're selling them quicker than they can get them.

http://youtu.be/ffmwaLVn7aE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1pu0CCkvak&feature=share&list=PL9A87B1DF4177FA23

Hope this helps!

Firearms Iinstuctor

I run every other day been doing so for around 35 years I carry on every run.

I carried a 357 2.5 inch charter arms bull dog a lot at 20 oz. Carry my Glock 23 some. The last few years I carry a TI 41 mag 4 inch at around 23 oz.

How you carry it is way more important then what you carry.

I carried a lot with a shoulder rig in between two tee shirts kept the gun from brouncing fairly well.

Then I found a waist pack from camel bak model called (The GE BE) it is the best I found and I have tried a lot. I could carry a fully loaded 1911 with out trouble. My TI41 mag rides great.

This is a middle of back pack and holds your load very firmly to ones body dosen't move at all.

It isn't a fast draw for sure.

Its really a pain to have weight moving around rubbing you raw, beating you up and down with every step so get something the holds your firearm tight.

I have boxs full for carry rigs the GE BE is for me the best I found for running in. Don't even know if CamelBak makes it any more.. Good luck only took me 20 years or so to find a good thing.

Heading out 4 a run as soon as I hit the post botton.

MainelyGlock

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Ran with my Glock in my Camelback this morning and it wasn't so bad, but it also wasn't very practical. I think I just need to buy a small .38 or something, and find a good way to carry it especially.

Firearms Instructor, how did you like the Charter Arms you had?

Shoobee

Either a 380 auto or a 38 would be a good choice, and a small tight fanny-pack is the best place to keep it free of sweat and moisture.

Add a waterbottle with gaitoraid in a pouch to the pack and you can stay hydrated and draw less attention to the fanny-pack at the same time.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Ran with my Glock in my Camelback this morning and it wasn't so bad, but it also wasn't very practical. I think I just need to buy a small .38 or something, and find a good way to carry it especially.

Firearms Instructor, how did you like the Charter Arms you had?

I still have it wife carrys it now.

Medium qualtiy gun goes bang every time. Had it for over 30 years now. Not as nice as a smith,ruger or colt revolver.

Did use it to shoot a coyote when I was out running one day. Yote ran across the road in front of me then stopped in the woods looking at me at 32 yards. Double actioned a 125gr Rem JHP 38 plus P at 950fps right between his eyes travel down his neck and stayed in the shoulder expaned to about 50cal. He dropped right there. Not bad shooting after running a 6.00 mile. Back then I could run 10K in around 37 min.

Don't put lot of rounds through it don't think it would hold up like my others I have ruger security six that has shot 30to 40 thousand rounds may be more and just kepts on going.

Right now if I were going to buy a small revolver I think it would be a S@W model 60 3inch stainless 357. and shoot plus P 38s in it. Full house 357s in those small guns are a handfull. I like their recoil less then the 500 smith.

Steeler-gal

How you carry it is way more important then what you carry.

I carried a lot with a shoulder rig in between two tee shirts kept the gun from brouncing fairly well.

Then I found a waist pack from camel bak model called (The GE BE) it is the best I found and I have tried a lot. I could carry a fully loaded 1911 with out trouble. My TI41 mag rides great.

This is a middle of back pack and holds your load very firmly to ones body dosen't move at all.

It isn't a fast draw for sure.

Its really a pain to have weight moving around rubbing you raw, beating you up and down with every step so get something the holds your firearm tight.

I have boxs full for carry rigs the GE BE is for me the best I found for running in. Don't even know if CamelBak makes it any more.. Good luck only took me 20 years or so to find a good thing.

Heading out 4 a run as soon as I hit the post botton.

I agree that any gun is good but it's how you carry. I have a 5.11 COVRT pistol pak. It seems to hold just about any size pistol. Problem with it is that it doesn't hold enough stuff. There's not enough pockets for keys, doggie doo bags, phone, etc.

I've just started jogging. I wore a belly band and carried my Kahr CW9. It was OK but rubbed a bit. I had a sore where the band and gun rubbed me. I'm going to try and find that camelbak you have. I have a big camelbak pack that holds a L of water but it doesn't really have a good pocket I could put a pistol in and then be able to reach.

HighFlyingA380

I know a lot of people hate on KelTec, but I have the KelTec P-11 and love it as a cheap, reliable pocket gun. Yeah, it's nothing fancy, and the polymer components, trigger especially, have kinda rough edges from molding, but the action is all medal and is well made. When you need a small gun for seldom carry, I think it's a great option. I got mine new (about a year ago) for $250. You can't beat that for a palm-sized 10+1 9mm with a 3.1-inch barrel. It's also really easy to do some minor improvements to make the trigger feel better, make the sights more visible, and make the slide operate one-handed. (to close the slide on a factory gun, you have to pull it back with one hand, a hit the slide release button with the other. A quick minute with a metal file will allow you to close the slide with only the button.) There are also good accessories, such as lasers. Also, for carrying while jogging, I have heard that products such as this are a pretty good option for a small gun.

SovereignAxe

Personally I don't have a jogging gun, but there is one that I want: the Ruger LCR.

It's not quite as powerful as 9mm, but it's better than .380-at least if you load it with +P ammo. At 13.5 oz it's one of the lightest guns you can carry short of the LCP and Kel-Tec P3-AT. But I have no interest in getting a .380, and already have a .357. And at that weight it's lighter than any 9mm semi-auto.

And it's available in .357 if .38 +P doesn't do it for you.

Tactical SS

If you are thinking LCP try the LC9 out. It's not a ton bigger, but it feels so much better and 7+1 rounds of 9MM isn't to shabby for a late night jog. I had the LCP sold it and bought an LC9. As of right now my LGS has the LC9 with lasermax for $429. That and a belly band, you're set

If you want a bit more, LCR in .357 fits the bill, but the price does jump up a bit.

Steeler-gal

Personally I don't have a jogging gun, but there is one that I want: the Ruger LCR.

It's not quite as powerful as 9mm, but it's better than .380-at least if you load it with +P ammo. At 13.5 oz it's one of the lightest guns you can carry short of the LCP and Kel-Tec P3-AT. But I have no interest in getting a .380, and already have a .357. And at that weight it's lighter than any 9mm semi-auto.

And it's available in .357 if .38 +P doesn't do it for you.

I have the LCR and it is a great small carry gun. Fits into lots of small places.

Michigander

Going within your specs, I'd suggest going to REI, or some other similar store, or check online, all of the various types of hydration belts you can find. Stuff your preference of handgun into the pouch, with the obvious requirement that you do what it takes to do it safely.

Personally, when I was able to run, I used to run with my P220 on a stand alone gun belt. No trouble, even when I was going 8 miles and more. If I could run still, and if for whatever reason I wanted to scale it down and CC, I would probably at that point opt to wear tighter fitting shorts with at least side and back pockets, with a Glock 26 or smaller in one side pocket, and two spare magazines in the other. Wallet and keys in back pockets. Smaller guns than that would be fine too. A seecamp and a pocket knife would even do just fine. All a matter of the right clothing and perhaps holsters, more so that the right gun.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm surprised nobody so far has recommended the SAFEPACKER.

Several outfits carry it so you can do some price comparisons. It gives you several options of how to carry and comes in sizes to fit from a pocket rocket to a full-sized auto.

stay safe.

Get2DahChopper

Check out the kel-tec p32. Since you will be jogging you may want the hard chome finish to protect against sweat. These have been around for over 10 years now and many like them. They weigh 9oz fully loaded (7+1) and mecgar makes a 10 round extended mag so that's 11 rounds in a tiny pistol (smaller than LCP). 32 acp is not the most powerful round, but there are plenty of one shot stops recorded using silver tips in 32acp. The trigger is much lighter and smoother than the other K-T pistols (4.5 - 5lbs). These sell for $300 and come with a lifetime warranty. I replaced my P11 with a P32 and only wish I had done it sooner. (Smaller, lighter, better trigger). Kel-Tec's are good little guns and for what you need this one for, should serve you well. ETA - USA made :)

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The problem is not the gun, but the comfort of the rig the gun is carried in. I ran with a full bat belt three miles a run while in the academy. Bicycle officers ride full shifts with full bat belts.

Find the proper running clothing, proper belt and holster, you will get used to it after time.