Thread: NYC PD shoots 9 bystanders

NYC PD shoots 9 bystanders

Surprised no one is talking about this:

http://news.yahoo.com/civilians-hurt...233856647.html

If bullets fired by police or fragments struck civilians, then the officers were also lucky to be alive, since bullets could have boomeranged in their direction, said Eugene O'Donnell, a professor of police studies at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
    Bullets can turn around and come back at you? Everything I know is ****.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

This incident was pure neglagence by the police. If the shooting was done by an armed civilian there would be hell to pay. The police should be held to the same standards. They need to be held accountable for every round fired.

Re: NYC PD shoots 9 bystanders

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman351 View Post
    This incident was pure neglagence by the police. If the shooting was done by an armed civilian there would be hell to pay. The police should be held to the same standards. They need to be held accountable for every round fired.
    You forget that the police are better than us and are supposed to shoot people. (In the anti eyes)

Quote Originally Posted by tjkruck View Post
    You forget that the police are better than us and are supposed to shoot people. (In the anti eyes)
    Its sad really. When you consider the average armed civilian has more training and more common sense on taking a shot than your average police officer. And I am by far not a cop basher. My dad was LEO and my cousins are Fed agents. LE was my career choice until my dad pleaded with me not to do it, said he didn't want me to see the things he did.
    Last edited by dudeman351; 08-25-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    Surprised no one is talking about this:

http://news.yahoo.com/civilians-hurt...233856647.html

Bullets can turn around and come back at you? Everything I know is ****.

Only thing I can think of, is these boneheads totally panicked, and resorted to Spray N Pray/Insh Allah-mode of shooting..unreal.

"Security camera footage showed the officers had only an instant to react when Johnson suddenly turned as they approached and pointed his gun at them, his arm cocked as if to fire.

Their encounter was over in eight seconds. The officers, who had been standing nearly close enough to shake hands with Johnson and had no opportunity to take cover, fired almost immediately.

Nine bystanders were wounded in the 16-shot volley, likely by stray or ricocheting police bullets. None of their injuries was life-threatening, police said." "
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tim/57297548/1

So, arm's length distance? If accurately reported (I've not seen the video) -unstat. Get these' "officers" guns out of their holsters, and assign them to the motor pool for the next 20 yrs. And feed them, raw, to the 9 victims who will no doubt be suing the living crap out of the City.

As to the "boomerang" of rounds- given WHERE this took place (tons of concrete, steel, glass) you better believe it. Especially with NYPD-issue 9mm rounds. Any miss is going to most likely strike one of the above materials, and depending on the striking-angle of the hit- you are going to have some serious ricochet action.
    This is not likely to be a case of the "over-penetration" of the target- more likely the complete missing (somehow, @ hand-shaking range.....unreal) of their intended target.
    Last edited by j4l; 08-25-2012 at 09:59 AM.

I bet having 100000 lb trigger pulls on their guns doesn't help.

(it was my understanding that NYPD carries Glocks with 12lb trigger pulls, no? not sure where i heard that, maybe it's a myth)

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post

As to the "boomerang" of rounds- given WHERE this took place (tons of concrete, steel, glass) you better believe it. Especially with NYPD-issue 9mm rounds. Any miss is going to most likely strike one of the above materials, and depending on the striking-angle of the hit- you are going to have some serious ricochet action.
    This is not likely to be a case of the "over-penetration" of the target- more likely the complete missing (somehow, @ hand-shaking range.....unreal) of their intended target.
    Boomerangs come back when thrown out into the open, I don't think they'll return if they hit something. A ricochet strikes something hard and bounces off. That's why when I read this I was like LOLWTFBULLETSBOOMERANG?
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    Boomerangs come back when thrown out into the open, I don't think they'll return if they hit something. A ricochet strikes something hard and bounces off. That's why when I read this I was like LOLWTFBULLETSBOOMERANG?
    Exactly. Bullets don't boomerang and unless you are shooting squarely at a flat surface, the chances of that projectile ever returning to its exact position is very slim, almost impossible. So the police were relatively safe.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

j4l this page as the video: http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...k-police-video

I would guesstamte one LEO was about 8' and the other 12' when they fired

Yes, bullets can bounce back and hit the shooter, particularly with jacketed ammo. Yes, the cops panicked. And yes, many civilians are better trained in the handling of firearms than are many LEOs. They're not, however, better trained as peace officers, which include a large number of disciplines -- none of which, however, are very useful when you panic...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Exactly. Bullets don't boomerang and unless you are shooting squarely at a flat surface, the chances of that projectile ever returning to its exact position is very slim, almost impossible. So the police were relatively safe.
    chances are slim,,, but,,, not impossible...

EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Yes, bullets can bounce back and hit the shooter, particularly with jacketed ammo. Yes, the cops panicked. And yes, many civilians are better trained in the handling of firearms than are many LEOs. They're not, however, better trained as peace officers, which include a large number of disciplines -- none of which, however, are very useful when you panic...
    Maybe that pos bloom **** should have new gun laws that take them away from his scumbag cops. "New York's finest." What a ******* joke.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V