Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first interaction with police while OC

My first interaction with police while OC

I was leaving my house walking to my truck to go back to work from a lunch break yesterday and a state police officer happened to be driving by as I was walking to my truck. I didnt think much of it so I got in my truck and started driving back to work. I made it about 1/2 a mile and the officer pulled me over. The officer was respectful and not jumpy, no gun was pointed in my face and I didnt even get a lecture. I did show him my permit when asked but that was because he showed me respect in the way he approached me and I also was about to be late for work and didnt have time for a possible arguement. I do not recall his name but I was very impressed in the way this officer responded and treated me. To be totally honest I've had worse encounters with police for speeding lol. He didnt run my permit, didnt disarm me, didnt ask for lic reg and such and treated me well.

Re: My first interaction with police while OC

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyburnout View Post
    I was leaving my house walking to my truck to go back to work from a lunch break yesterday and a state police officer happened to be driving by as I was walking to my truck. I didnt think much of it so I got in my truck and started driving back to work. I made it about 1/2 a mile and the officer pulled me over. The officer was respectful and not jumpy, no gun was pointed in my face and I didnt even get a lecture. I did show him my permit when asked but that was because he showed me respect in the way he approached me and I also was about to be late for work and didnt have time for a possible arguement. I do not recall his name but I was very impressed in the way this officer responded and treated me. To be totally honest I've had worse encounters with police for speeding lol. He didnt run my permit, didnt disarm me, didnt ask for lic reg and such and treated me well.

So what was his reason for pulling you over?

Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    So what was his reason for pulling you over?
    EXACTLY my thoughts

To bad you didn't get this troopers name. There was NO RAS for stopping you!!! You didn't have to provide him with anything also. Sorry, if this were me this stop would have gone much differently:

Trooper: Hello sir, i'm stopping you because I saw you OC'ing a firearm back there. Can you show me your permit to carry?
    Me: NO SIR. It's perfectly legal to OC in CT. As such you have no RAS of any crime being commited. And in fact, you shouldn't have stopped me for doing something that's perfectly legal to do here in CT. Am I free to go?

At that point who knows where it would have gone as the balls in his court. BUT PLEASE, get informed as to your rights before this happens again.

Really he had no reason to pull me over. I would have talked to him more about that but like i said i was going to be late for work and currently being able to pay my bills is more important that having a discussion.
    I more made this post to point out an officer who treated me like a person and not like a criminal which is seemingly less and less frequent these days.

Smokey, yes he DID NOT have a reason to pull you over. I understand about be worried about being late, but they probably would understand if you told them it wasn't your fault for being pulled over. And you don't have to tell them why you were pulled over. I just hope you will keep all this in mind if there ever is a "next time" your stopped for OC'ing. BTW, did he see you OC'ing on your personal property? Because if he did, AND then pulled you over, well that's something he KNOWS was legal for you to do. Just something to think about.......

Guess sometimes everyday life, paying the bills and keeping a roof over the family take higher priority than "making a point".
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Smokeyburnout, ask yourself, if he had no reason to pull you over, then why did he?

(Answer: Fishing expedition.)

It doesn't matter how polite he was; he was either trying to validate an unlawful stop, or he was trying to investigate a lawful activity absent of a crime. The job of the police is to catch criminals; if one stops you, it's a safe guess he's not giving out donut shop gift cards.

Sounds like you did just fine to me. You need to do what you feel comfortable with.

One piece of advice, when you OC, I recommend having a digital voice recorder running the whole time.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Banned
    the OP should know that what the cop did was wrong, no matter how nice he was.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Smokeyburnout, ask yourself, if he had no reason to pull you over, then why did he?

(Answer: Fishing expedition.)

It doesn't matter how polite he was; he was either trying to validate an unlawful stop, or he was trying to investigate a lawful activity absent of a crime. The job of the police is to catch criminals; if one stops you, it's a safe guess he's not giving out donut shop gift cards.
    BINGO....we have a winner! Well, except for the gift card comment, lol. But it's obvious he was fishing. And yes Rich, he may have "done just fine" but the OP should know that the trooper was wrong for stopping him in the first place. Something tells me that if this trooper were to do that to someone who then calls his supervisor about doing an 'illegal' stop that this trooper wouldn't be trampling anymore more rights anytime soon. But nope, this trooper will do this again. Maybe to one of us.....

It is unrealistic to expect ever OCer to be ready to go to jail when confronted by a stupid LEO.

The OP did well, got home safe. The rest can be worked on. I doubt anyone's first LEO experience while OCing is perfect. Mine certainly was not.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    It is unrealistic to expect ever OCer to be ready to go to jail when confronted by a stupid LEO.

The OP did well, got home safe. The rest can be worked on. I doubt anyone's first LEO experience while OCing is perfect. Mine certainly was not.
    Yep, he did do well, and yes the rest can be worked on. But part of that is knowing your rights when confronted by overzelous LEO's. And that's what we're talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyB View Post
    And that's what we're talking about here.
    And you won't find any disagreement from me on people standing up for their rights. But lets remember that he had a significant incident, he shared with us, lets go easy on him.

Every individual gets to draw their own line in the sand and make their own decisions.

And you won't find any disagreement from me on people standing up for their rights. But lets remember that he had a significant incident, he shared with us, lets go easy on him.

Every individual gets to draw their own line in the sand and make their own decisions.
    Totally agree................

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I agree with everybody about everything. Yes you did great. Yes he violated your rights. Yes it's tough to stand up against rights violations when they are "small"
    I can't judge because though many cops have seen me OC none have harassed me yet. I hope I take my own advice about standing strong when I'm put to the test. Just OCing at all is courageous in this age.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I don't know if he edited his OP, but he did say he was speeding in the post near the end... there is your RAS for getting oulled over. Yes, the cop probably was following him initially only because of the firearm, but it sounds as though he didn't get pulled over until he broke the law by his own admission.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    I don't know if he edited his OP, but he did say he was speeding in the post near the end... there is your RAS for getting oulled over. Yes, the cop probably was following him initially only because of the firearm, but it sounds as though he didn't get pulled over until he broke the law by his own admission.
    I don't see any edited flag on the OP and it contains only an innocuous comparison to being stopped for speeding. Not an admission to speeding.

Please cite your source for the OP's supposed admission.

I don't see any edited flag on the OP and it contains only an innocuous comparison to being stopped for speeding. Not an admission to speeding.

Please cite your source for the OP's supposed admission.
    I would assume since he didn't mention any outrage at being ticketed nor even at being accused of speeding that he knows thats the reason for being pulled overbecause he knows he was speeding.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    I would assume since he didn't mention any outrage at being ticketed nor even at being accused of speeding that he knows thats the reason for being pulled overbecause he knows he was speeding.
    Where does he say he was ticketed? He says clearly the officer didn't ask for license or registration which would be necessary to ticket him...

I wasnt speeding. I followed all traffic laws. The sole reason the officer pulled me over was because he saw me walking to my truck (I park in the road in front of my house) while OC.
    To the others who would have liked me to do more I would have if I wasnt going to be late for work. If you disagree thats fine. Honestly, I'm not going to base keeping my job and source of income on the opinion of someone or a few people on the internet.

I will say although i didnt object to him asking for my permit i did refuse to cover my pistol when he suggested I do so. I informed him that OC is legal in CT and I do it everyday.

I wasnt speeding. I followed all traffic laws. The sole reason the officer pulled me over was because he saw me walking to my truck (I park in the road in front of my house) while OC.
    To the others who would have liked me to do more I would have if I wasnt going to be late for work. If you disagree thats fine. Honestly, I'm not going to base keeping my job and source of income on the opinion of someone or a few people on the internet.

I will say although i didnt object to him asking for my permit i did refuse to cover my pistol when he suggested I do so. I informed him that OC is legal in CT and I do it everyday.
    A little off topic here............in reading your post about heading back to work while OC'ing on your lunch break made me wonder if you OC at work, cover up when you get there or disarm before entering the workplace.

Now I'm wondering if it's common or not for employer's to have a policy of firearms in the work-place. I'm guessing that most large corporations probably have a policy regarding firearms but I have no idea about small to mid-sized companies.
    Last edited by larch; 08-26-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Banned
    maybe he had to go to the bathroom .... or going to work, as he said. Many reasons for just moving on ...

Of course, the police depend on this
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 08-26-2012 at 02:47 AM.

I see no problem with complying with BS when you have something to do. However if you have the time available, in the words of Flava Flav "fight the power". I've been confronted by LEO while OCing in Maine recently. When OCing here ID isn't required, I give up ID 80% of the time so I can get on my way. When im not in a hurry though you better believe you aren't getting my first name.

Quote Originally Posted by larch View Post
    A little off topic here............in reading your post about heading back to work while OC'ing on your lunch break made me wonder if you OC at work, cover up when you get there or disarm before entering the workplace.

Now I'm wondering if it's common or not for employer's to have a policy of firearms in the work-place. I'm guessing that most large corporations probably have a policy regarding firearms but I have no idea about small to mid-sized companies.

I OC at work as well. I work at a garage and my employer doesnt mind. I've had only 1 customer tell me i needed to cover up because its illegal and after having a conversation with him and showing him a few things he has since apologizied saying he never knew that CT was a OC state (with permit).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast