• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first interaction with police while OC

smokeyburnout

I was leaving my house walking to my truck to go back to work from a lunch break yesterday and a state police officer happened to be driving by as I was walking to my truck. I didnt think much of it so I got in my truck and started driving back to work. I made it about 1/2 a mile and the officer pulled me over. The officer was respectful and not jumpy, no gun was pointed in my face and I didnt even get a lecture. I did show him my permit when asked but that was because he showed me respect in the way he approached me and I also was about to be late for work and didnt have time for a possible arguement. I do not recall his name but I was very impressed in the way this officer responded and treated me. To be totally honest I've had worse encounters with police for speeding lol. He didnt run my permit, didnt disarm me, didnt ask for lic reg and such and treated me well.

SPOProds

I was leaving my house walking to my truck to go back to work from a lunch break yesterday and a state police officer happened to be driving by as I was walking to my truck. I didnt think much of it so I got in my truck and started driving back to work. I made it about 1/2 a mile and the officer pulled me over. The officer was respectful and not jumpy, no gun was pointed in my face and I didnt even get a lecture. I did show him my permit when asked but that was because he showed me respect in the way he approached me and I also was about to be late for work and didnt have time for a possible arguement. I do not recall his name but I was very impressed in the way this officer responded and treated me. To be totally honest I've had worse encounters with police for speeding lol. He didnt run my permit, didnt disarm me, didnt ask for lic reg and such and treated me well.

So what was his reason for pulling you over?

KennyB

To bad you didn't get this troopers name. There was NO RAS for stopping you!!! You didn't have to provide him with anything also. Sorry, if this were me this stop would have gone much differently:

Trooper: Hello sir, i'm stopping you because I saw you OC'ing a firearm back there. Can you show me your permit to carry?
Me: NO SIR. It's perfectly legal to OC in CT. As such you have no RAS of any crime being commited. And in fact, you shouldn't have stopped me for doing something that's perfectly legal to do here in CT. Am I free to go?

At that point who knows where it would have gone as the balls in his court. BUT PLEASE, get informed as to your rights before this happens again.

smokeyburnout

Really he had no reason to pull me over. I would have talked to him more about that but like i said i was going to be late for work and currently being able to pay my bills is more important that having a discussion.
I more made this post to point out an officer who treated me like a person and not like a criminal which is seemingly less and less frequent these days.

KennyB

Smokey, yes he DID NOT have a reason to pull you over. I understand about be worried about being late, but they probably would understand if you told them it wasn't your fault for being pulled over. And you don't have to tell them why you were pulled over. I just hope you will keep all this in mind if there ever is a "next time" your stopped for OC'ing. BTW, did he see you OC'ing on your personal property? Because if he did, AND then pulled you over, well that's something he KNOWS was legal for you to do. Just something to think about.......

carolina guy

Guess sometimes everyday life, paying the bills and keeping a roof over the family take higher priority than "making a point". :)

PistolPackingMomma

Smokeyburnout, ask yourself, if he had no reason to pull you over, then why did he?

(Answer: Fishing expedition.)

It doesn't matter how polite he was; he was either trying to validate an unlawful stop, or he was trying to investigate a lawful activity absent of a crime. The job of the police is to catch criminals; if one stops you, it's a safe guess he's not giving out donut shop gift cards.

Rich B

Sounds like you did just fine to me. You need to do what you feel comfortable with.

One piece of advice, when you OC, I recommend having a digital voice recorder running the whole time.

KennyB

Smokeyburnout, ask yourself, if he had no reason to pull you over, then why did he?

(Answer: Fishing expedition.)

It doesn't matter how polite he was; he was either trying to validate an unlawful stop, or he was trying to investigate a lawful activity absent of a crime. The job of the police is to catch criminals; if one stops you, it's a safe guess he's not giving out donut shop gift cards.

BINGO....we have a winner! Well, except for the gift card comment, lol. But it's obvious he was fishing. And yes Rich, he may have "done just fine" but the OP should know that the trooper was wrong for stopping him in the first place. Something tells me that if this trooper were to do that to someone who then calls his supervisor about doing an 'illegal' stop that this trooper wouldn't be trampling anymore more rights anytime soon. But nope, this trooper will do this again. Maybe to one of us.....

Rich B

It is unrealistic to expect ever OCer to be ready to go to jail when confronted by a stupid LEO.

The OP did well, got home safe. The rest can be worked on. I doubt anyone's first LEO experience while OCing is perfect. Mine certainly was not.

KennyB

It is unrealistic to expect ever OCer to be ready to go to jail when confronted by a stupid LEO.

The OP did well, got home safe. The rest can be worked on. I doubt anyone's first LEO experience while OCing is perfect. Mine certainly was not.

Yep, he did do well, and yes the rest can be worked on. But part of that is knowing your rights when confronted by overzelous LEO's. And that's what we're talking about here.

Rich B

And that's what we're talking about here.

And you won't find any disagreement from me on people standing up for their rights. But lets remember that he had a significant incident, he shared with us, lets go easy on him.

Every individual gets to draw their own line in the sand and make their own decisions.

KennyB

And you won't find any disagreement from me on people standing up for their rights. But lets remember that he had a significant incident, he shared with us, lets go easy on him.

Every individual gets to draw their own line in the sand and make their own decisions.

Totally agree................

twoskinsonemanns

I agree with everybody about everything. Yes you did great. Yes he violated your rights. Yes it's tough to stand up against rights violations when they are "small"
I can't judge because though many cops have seen me OC none have harassed me yet. I hope I take my own advice about standing strong when I'm put to the test. Just OCing at all is courageous in this age.

Baked on Grease

I don't know if he edited his OP, but he did say he was speeding in the post near the end... there is your RAS for getting oulled over. Yes, the cop probably was following him initially only because of the firearm, but it sounds as though he didn't get pulled over until he broke the law by his own admission.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Rich B

I don't know if he edited his OP, but he did say he was speeding in the post near the end... there is your RAS for getting oulled over. Yes, the cop probably was following him initially only because of the firearm, but it sounds as though he didn't get pulled over until he broke the law by his own admission.

I don't see any edited flag on the OP and it contains only an innocuous comparison to being stopped for speeding. Not an admission to speeding.

Please cite your source for the OP's supposed admission.

Baked on Grease

I don't see any edited flag on the OP and it contains only an innocuous comparison to being stopped for speeding. Not an admission to speeding.

Please cite your source for the OP's supposed admission.

I would assume since he didn't mention any outrage at being ticketed nor even at being accused of speeding that he knows thats the reason for being pulled overbecause he knows he was speeding.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Rich B

I would assume since he didn't mention any outrage at being ticketed nor even at being accused of speeding that he knows thats the reason for being pulled overbecause he knows he was speeding.

Where does he say he was ticketed? He says clearly the officer didn't ask for license or registration which would be necessary to ticket him...