• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DIA open carry

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i'm planning on taking my wife the the DIA today or tomorrow. Has anyone open carried there? the website lists no rules about firearms. this is from their "visiting" page:

Please check coats, backpacks, tote bags, briefcases, umbrellas and portfolios at the attended coatroom at the Farnsworth entrance. This is a complimentary service. In addition, please be aware that all bags must be inspected upon entrance to the museum. We appreciate your cooperation, and apologize for any inconvenience.

so now admission is free for me as a resident of oakland county due to the millage that was passed:
http://www.dia.org/about/about-297.aspx
i'm wondering if this classifies the DIA as a public building now similar to how the Detroit Zoo operates. I'm guessing that if the DIA does try to restrict open carry, they are going to say they are private... even though they receive tax funds. I guess i'll find out, and i'll have a recorder running.

scot623

I've OC'd there in the past without incident. Your mileage may vary.

Btw, the DIA(building and art) is owned by the city of Detroit. It is ran by a non-profit, but has always been bound by preemption.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Spoke too soon. Audio later. Still here though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

You out there again making waves??? You know those artsy fartsy types don't take to well to those noise makers you tote around. They would probably like my glasses though, wanna trade? Noise maker for BCG's?:D

Sorry dude your glasses maybe more dangerous than his pistol? If the sun were to catch them the right way you could end up torching the place before you even got inside! :p

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Nope. No wave making. They were polite. I was polite. I declined their request to cover up and we all went about our business. I'm at Great lakes crossing my wife's first OC!

Last edited:

scot623

Nope. No wave making. They were polite. I was polite. I declined their request to cover up and we all went about our business. I'm at Great lakes crossing my wife's first OC!

Good to hear. I had a similar request made of me during my last visit to the Detroit Zoo. I politely declined and went on my way.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
and since it didn't happen if there were no pics... :banana::banana::banana::banana:
she open carried at GLX, but not earlier today at the DIA

Attachments

• IMG_0053ss.jpg
    IMG_0053ss.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 303

detroit_fan

good for her! we need more armed women out there. my wife's cpl approval notice just came today, hopefully she will carry much more now that she has a cpl

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i think that i need to enable the noise canceling feature of my recorder. i was afraid to lose critical audio by enabling it, but i may lose audio from having the recorder under my shirt. i guess the mic is picking up my shirt rubbing against it. however, when i'm standing still talking to the chief of security it quiets down pretty well.

as it happened, i knew the chief of security. i have worked with him before. full disclosure, i did cut parts out that referred to where we had worked together because i still work there.

from :17 to 5:04 nothing really happens because we walk away from the guard and continue our tour after she asks me to cover up and i decline.

i think you will enjoy listening to this because of how many times they mention that they would like me to cover up. also, after i left from talking to the chief about 5 minutes later another guard came up and asked me to cover. he was very nice, but i told him no, and that i had already talked to the chief, he said "oh, ok" and walked away. the first guard was quit rude, but the chief and the 2nd guard were extremely polite and professional.

here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggJAH_o90fY#aid=P9-dCk9su-4

Last edited:

pfries

Was looking forward to the audio but I am getting an error with the link (and I do have a dropbox account)