• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thrown out for open carry

jdholmes

What I cannot fathom is why, if you live in a state that "shall issue," why you don't just get a CCW and keep it concealed?

The natives are much less restless then because out of sight is out of mind.

1. money
2. Even if you apply they take months to issue.
3. Who cares how the natives feel.
4. Why do I want it out of their mind?

wrightme

Actually… this is quite an interesting scenario… private property and all. Can I not conceal carry in my home and on my private property without a state issued permit? Can I not authorize someone in my home or on my private property to do the same without a state issued permit? If I’m the manager/owner of a cinema may I not conceal carry in that cinema without a state issued permit? Or… may I not authorize a patron to do the same? Just asking the questions here… maybe "stupid" questions.

There is NO 'private property' exception coded into statute, thus it is not 'legal.'

No, you cannot legally authorize someone in your home or on your private property to do the same without a permit recognized by NV.

Now, if you would choose to allow someone on your private property to conceal without a permit, the 'other question' is 'will a cop know or do a thing about it.....'

wrightme

What I cannot fathom is why, if you live in a state that "shall issue," why you don't just get a CCW and keep it concealed?

You answered your own question, but didn't get it.

1) If you view it that way, why are you in these forums?

2) The 'less restless because out of sight is out of mind' is why OC is tough in many places. OC puts it 'in mind.' The more it is 'out of sight, out of mind,' the less it becomes tolerated, concealed or open.

28kfps

There is NO 'private property' exception coded into statute, thus it is not 'legal.'

No, you cannot legally authorize someone in your home or on your private property to do the same without a permit recognized by NV.

Now, if you would choose to allow someone on your private property to conceal without a permit, the 'other question' is 'will a cop know or do a thing about it.....'

Just for your info this was clearly corrected earlier in this string. The point was, is it legal or not as you repeated the answer, it is not regardless if a LEO is aware of it.

28kfps

You answered your own question, but didn't get it.

1) If you view it that way, why are you in these forums?

2) The 'less restless because out of sight is out of mind' is why OC is tough in many places. OC puts it 'in mind.' The more it is 'out of sight, out of mind,' the less it becomes tolerated, concealed or open.

+1 very well said.

vegaspassat

No offense broseph, but why are you on an open carry site? Even more so, why are you in the nevada forums? I've read a few of your posts over the past few months and all you seem to do is advocate CCW due to the fact that you live in a state where you can't have a CCW. I know misery loves company, but really? Do something about your situation and stop trying to bring negativity to other people Bro. It's like, against the way mother earth intended. Man.

Last edited:

greengum

Another reason I love torrents. 1080p Blue ray in an hour or so then put on a WDTV box hooked up to the flat screen. As far as leaving the theatre you had to think about the rest of your party. Personally I think it is best to make it a pain for them to enforce their rules on you. Like asking for a refund, getting names and numbers etc. I love the ccw guys, my standard answer to the "just conceal and don't have any issues" question is the same I gave to Henderson PD when they asked me. I don't have a ccw for the same reason why you would not pay to get a permit to go to church or to vote. Also welcome to the forums!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Reverse that question and ask if you live in an area that allows OC, why would you go to the trouble of hiding it? The community is far better educated and considerably better protected via OC.

What I can't fathom is why this concept is so difficult for some people to grasp; however, if you choose to CC that is fine - just support the right of others to make their own decision.

Actually I do understand the reluctance of some - think that they'd rather just blend into the shadows and become invisible. Problem is that one doing so is indistinguishable from the garden variety victim and when the SHTF are in a reactive mode rather than proactive. You chose - it is your life.

wrightme

Just for your info this was clearly corrected earlier in this string. The point was, is it legal or not as you repeated the answer, it is not regardless if a LEO is aware of it.

Yes, I know all that. I didn't review the entire thread before posting that.

But, I clearly stated the legal issue separate from the rational thought that follows; which others also followed through with.

MKEgal

FallonJeeper said:
There is no provision, in any NRS that allows you to conceal carry in your own home or property.
Laws are not permissive, they're restrictive.
If there's no law that says you cannot carry however you want on your own property then you can.
What happened to private property rights?

And it doesn't have to be in a statute.
Even before WI got cc last year, there was a court ruling saying that cc is OK on your own property (house or business).
Now it's written into law that if you're on property you "own, lease, or legally occupy" you can cc without a license. So far, courts aren't too clear on the 'legally occupy' part.

wrightme said:
There's a difference between what you do on your property and authorizing someone else.

Merlin said:
"You are wrong, but it's OK. Today is your lucky day.
I'm from OCDO, and I'm here to help."
LOL :D

greengum said:
I think it is best to make it a pain for them to enforce their rules on you.
Like asking for a refund, getting names and numbers etc.
Definitely. Names of the people telling you "it's corporate policy", a copy of that corp. policy on company letterhead, names of the next couple levels of managment & their contact info...

Vegassteve said:
Why don't you stay in California and leave us alone.
vegaspassat said:
why are you in the nevada forums?
All fora are open to all members.

wrightme

If there's no law that says you cannot carry however you want on your own property then you can.

The law forbids concealment upon the person. It doesn't make an exception for where the person is.

The law doesn't forbid concealment in public, it forbids concealment, period.

As example, it is illegal to have illegal drugs, whether you are on private property or not. It is illegal to murder someone else, whether you are on private property or not.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

And it doesn't have to be in a statute.
Even before WI got cc last year, there was a court ruling saying that cc is OK on your own property (house or business).
Now it's written into law that if you're on property you "own, lease, or legally occupy" you can cc without a license. So far, courts aren't too clear on the 'legally occupy' part.

As Wrightme indicated. The law does not discriminated between private or public property. The law forbids concealment on your person, without a permit... period. Some states that allow concealed carry on your own property, actually have it written into the law, or the law is written with some wiggle room for personal property. Nevada does not. If the law says I can't conceal a weapon without a permit, that means I can't conceal anywhere, without a permit.

Minimum age for drinking is 21. That does not mean that an 18 year old can drink on my private property with my permission, simply because the law does not say how old I can be to drink on my private property.

CowboyKen

As Wrightme indicated. The law does not discriminated between private or public property. The law forbids concealment on your person, without a permit... period. Some states that allow concealed carry on your own property, actually have it written into the law, or the law is written with some wiggle room for personal property. Nevada does not. If the law says I can't conceal a weapon without a permit, that means I can't conceal anywhere, without a permit.

Minimum age for drinking is 21. That does not mean that an 18 year old can drink on my private property with my permission, simply because the law does not say how old I can be to drink on my private property.

The law forbids concealment upon the person. It doesn't make an exception for where the person is.

The law doesn't forbid concealment in public, it forbids concealment, period.

As example, it is illegal to have illegal drugs, whether you are on private property or not. It is illegal to murder someone else, whether you are on private property or not.

And, in my previous post I quoted the law directy.

There is no case law in Nevada that contradicts this.

Ken

Last edited:

VegasGlocKid

Its already been proven a couple years ago that town square is anti gun. I don't go there and if I have to I CC but don't spend money. You don't need a permit to speak so why should we be forced to get a permit to carry.

ed2276

This is the most interesting thing I have read all day.

I thought that the recent Heller case says you are free in your own home with guns, as long as the gun is legal (not sawed off etc).

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

That's not what the Court held in Heller.

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited.It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues

Nevada law may be vague as to concealed carry specifically in the home, but it can be read to broadly apply so that it does encompass home concealed carry. There are two ways the uncertainty can be cleared: 1. by amending the law to specifically allow concealed carry inside one's own home, or 2. by challenging the constitutionality of the law in court; unfortunately, in order for one to gain standing to bring a challenge one would have to be arrested under the statute.

Unfortunately, Heller didn't give us ammunition that could have been used as a safe haven for us Nevadans. It appears in D.C. there was a licensing requirement to merely possess a handgun in the home. Heller did not challenge the constitutional validity of the licensing scheme, and so it wasn't an issue for the Court to rule on.

Because Heller conceded at oral argument that the D. C. licensing law is permissible if it is not enforced arbitrarily and capriciously, the Court assumes that a license will satisfy his prayer for relief and does not address the licensing requirement.

If Heller had challenged the licensing requirement to possess a firearm in the home, and had the Court ruled that such licensing schemes could not invade a person's private residence then perhaps we Nevadans might have had a more secure footing from which to assert that Nevada could not require that firearm owners obtain a license to carry concealed while inside their private residences.

SBR_GUY

A majority of states take advantage of these allowances by legislating exceptions to possession or consumption of alcohol by "minors" under 21, and to the furnishing of alcohol by legal-aged individuals. For example, 30 states currently allow for parents to provide their children with alcohol in the privacy of their own homes(Nevada is one of these States) FYI. But in the remaining 20, parents are barred from providing their children with alcohol until the child's 21st birthday.
NRS 202.020 http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec020

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Reverse that question and ask if you live in an area that allows OC, why would you go to the trouble of hiding it? The community is far better educated and considerably better protected via OC.

What I can't fathom is why this concept is so difficult for some people to grasp; however, if you choose to CC that is fine - just support the right of others to make their own decision.

Actually I do understand the reluctance of some - think that they'd rather just blend into the shadows and become invisible. Problem is that one doing so is indistinguishable from the garden variety victim and when the SHTF are in a reactive mode rather than proactive. You chose - it is your life.

Because this is a state which also allows RAIN.

And RAIN has what to do within the context of Shoobee's statement and replies given?

If your response was intended to be tongue-in-cheek then some indication of that would have been good.