Thread: legal to keep firearm at office ? (i.e. not just car)

legal to keep firearm at office ? (i.e. not just car)

With all the high profile recent shootings, does anyone know if there are ANY Georgia regs prohibiting a license holder (or anyone for that matter) from keeping a firearm at your place of work ? i.e. locked box in a thermal sandwich bag locked in your desk drawer ??
    A bunch of folks where I work have firearms in their cars and at least one other has a license. So it's not exactly an anti-gun environment.
    I was thinking about getting a small 38 or Taurus 709 etc for emergencies. The exit points for the entire floor are around a central hub of stairs and elevators, so no easy escape.

Thanks

as far as I know there isnt anything saying you cant BUT you need to check your companies SOP ( Standard Operating Procedures ). If it stated you cant then theres your answer.
    Carrying isn't suppossed to feel comfortable...Its supposed to feel safe.

I already checked the company employee handbook / regs, no word of the term firearm or gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by AAriondo View Post
    as far as I know there isnt anything saying you cant BUT you need to check your companies SOP ( Standard Operating Procedures ). If it stated you cant then theres your answer.

as long as its not an off limits location ie jail, nuke power facility etc then you can and you dont even need a license to do so even to carry it on your person

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    as long as its not an off limits location ie jail, nuke power facility etc then you can and you dont even need a license to do so even to carry it on your person

but if unlicensed needs owners permission to carry it on property.
    and owner can fire for any reason if you hide it and keep mouth shut
    ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet

Re: legal to keep firearm at office ? (i.e. not just car)

I know that with the company I work at there is a "No Weapons Policy" on the company property...

Ask your manager about the company policy on weapons...and then decide for yourself what your plan will be as far as keeping yourself protected.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mark5019 View Post
    but if unlicensed needs owners permission to carry it on property.
    and owner can fire for any reason if you hide it and keep mouth shut

incorrect....

"Place of Business" includes an employee of that business. http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/millervstate-1913.htm

Employees have every bit as much right to carry at work as employers without procuring a license, as it was not the intent of the General Assembly to create an elite class of landed proprietors with the privelege of bearing arms. Therefore, the exemption from the licensing law for "place of business" is not limited to owners or overseers. Further, at a farm, a laborer's "place of business" includes, in addition to the buildings, the field, woodland, and meadow, and all parts of the farm.
    http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/idellettvstate.htm