• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

legal to keep firearm at office ? (i.e. not just car)

exgabrit

With all the high profile recent shootings, does anyone know if there are ANY Georgia regs prohibiting a license holder (or anyone for that matter) from keeping a firearm at your place of work ? i.e. locked box in a thermal sandwich bag locked in your desk drawer ??
A bunch of folks where I work have firearms in their cars and at least one other has a license. So it's not exactly an anti-gun environment.
I was thinking about getting a small 38 or Taurus 709 etc for emergencies. The exit points for the entire floor are around a central hub of stairs and elevators, so no easy escape.

Thanks

AAriondo

as far as I know there isnt anything saying you cant BUT you need to check your companies SOP ( Standard Operating Procedures ). If it stated you cant then theres your answer.

rmodel65

as long as its not an off limits location ie jail, nuke power facility etc then you can and you dont even need a license to do so even to carry it on your person

mark5019

as long as its not an off limits location ie jail, nuke power facility etc then you can and you dont even need a license to do so even to carry it on your person

but if unlicensed needs owners permission to carry it on property.
and owner can fire for any reason if you hide it and keep mouth shut

SevenSlugs

I know that with the company I work at there is a "No Weapons Policy" on the company property...

Ask your manager about the company policy on weapons...and then decide for yourself what your plan will be as far as keeping yourself protected.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

rmodel65

but if unlicensed needs owners permission to carry it on property.
and owner can fire for any reason if you hide it and keep mouth shut

incorrect....

"Place of Business" includes an employee of that business. http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/millervstate-1913.htm

Employees have every bit as much right to carry at work as employers without procuring a license, as it was not the intent of the General Assembly to create an elite class of landed proprietors with the privelege of bearing arms. Therefore, the exemption from the licensing law for "place of business" is not limited to owners or overseers. Further, at a farm, a laborer's "place of business" includes, in addition to the buildings, the field, woodland, and meadow, and all parts of the farm.
http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/idellettvstate.htm