• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sharpshooters in Lorton - question on procedure

92fan

Tim is still the manager.

Actually Kate was installed as GM upon completion of the acquisition. Kevin is one of several "shift" managers. I have seen Kate overrule him several times over the last few years. She sets policey after consulting with the owner who lives in Vermont(also owns a local security firm). Kevin has no real managment authority, unfortunitly.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I'm sure its safety.

Anybody who's shot on a public range knows that a certain percentage of newbies just don't know gun safety or haven't practiced enough to make it second nature. Then there is the part of the crowd that thinks they know everything, that its just not that important to keep your finger off the trigger, etc., and accidents never happen to them. We've all seen these types.

A verified empty gun can't go off if some noob who doesn't know any better decides to test a holster for fit or whatever.

I'm almost ambivalent about their policy. I dislike it--just barely. Certainly not enough to stop shopping there. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt as to them knowing their customers better than I.

Yes, there is that. However, suicides can and do happen at indoor ranges where firearms can be rented. There have been several at local indoor ranges which rent guns (I believe five at Blue Ridge Arsenal). I understand their concerns, but I have to also believe that they have regular patrons and one would think they would be more accommodating to them in these regards. Just a thought.

Bob1

Yes, I know the IWLA doesn't allow the carrying of loaded guns on their grounds. I don't use them near as much as I use to... mostly just for rifles.

Maybe you better change chapters, Southern Boy.

The IWLA Alexandria Chapter (http://www.iwla.us) sure does. Click on the Rifle & Pistol Range link followed by the Range Rules link.

Both open and concealed carry are addressed, and permitted.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Maybe you better change chapters, Southern Boy.

The IWLA Alexandria Chapter (http://www.iwla.us) sure does. Click on the Rifle & Pistol Range link followed by the Range Rules link.

Both open and concealed carry are addressed, and permitted.

Is the IWLA centrally run or can each chapter make their own rules? I would think that either way they would have some guidelines they are bound to follow.

Arma1911

I have shot at Sharpshooter's at least 20 times in the last 10 months. On one occasion I walked in with my UNloaded and holstered 1911. I was asked by one of the guys behind the counter, "Do you have a badge?" I responded that I didn't and he said that I could not carry loaded firearms into the establishment. I enformed him that it was not loaded. He said, "Make sure you don't touch your weapon because there are a couple of people with itchy trigger fingers that work here." I was absolutely shocked that he would say that. I thought his comment was a bit over-the-top and threatening. This guy's comment left a bad taste in my mouth so I think I went one or two other times until my pass expired and then decided I would seek out a more pro 2A place.

KBCraig

I left it in the car. Isn't anything in Texas worth wasting bullets on.
I did cut a stick about as big around as my thumb. That was enough for the real troublemakers.

Well shoot, Peter, you might as well open carry illegally. It's exactly the same offense as carrying a club!

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter: (1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club

:D

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well shoot, Peter, you might as well open carry illegally. It's exactly the same offense as carrying a club!

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter: (1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club

:D

Thanks for the information KB. I'll keep it in mind if I ever get sent that way again (which ain't likely)
Gotta admit I liked the natives (one private investigators wife was named Tex Ann) but there are more middle easterners in Texas, than in the middle east.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I have shot at Sharpshooter's at least 20 times in the last 10 months. On one occasion I walked in with my UNloaded and holstered 1911. I was asked by one of the guys behind the counter, "Do you have a badge?" I responded that I didn't and he said that I could not carry loaded firearms into the establishment. I enformed him that it was not loaded. He said, "Make sure you don't touch your weapon because there are a couple of people with itchy trigger fingers that work here." I was absolutely shocked that he would say that. I thought his comment was a bit over-the-top and threatening. This guy's comment left a bad taste in my mouth so I think I went one or two other times until my pass expired and then decided I would seek out a more pro 2A place.

Almost as bad as my encounter. I plan to talk to Kate, but it will be a couple of months before I get back there.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

A quick, easy way to put a stop to that would be to ask in reply, "So, you're telling me this business employs people who would use lethal force without legitimate justification? May I speak to the manager please?"

nuc65

Activist Member
I happen to agree with you SB but..

zfight.jpg

It is nice to either step out of the back door or go to my club that I can drive my ATV to.
The only rules are:
No dogs in the club house (Zeus hates that one)
and
3 seconds between shots.

What a damn beautiful picture of a Dane. I'd OC him anyday... (don't tell my German Shepherd who gets OCd most days).

Uber_Olafsun

I was looking to renew my membership here but this is making me think more about it. Any recommendations for a good range in the NOVA area besides this? Hell I would be willing to drive a bit and bring snacks if somebody had private land not far away.