Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your response?

What is your response?

I am wondering what the best response to to the question: Why do you carry a gun? By 'best response', I think I mean the most politically advantages. How do You reply? Personally I currently respond with, "To protect myself, my family, and my community." I don't remember where I heard this, but I like the affect of spinning the concern to let the other person know and understand that I am also carrying to protect them. Is there a better answer? Please let me know how you reply. I am curious.
    A lady friend once argued that a lot of gun owners that are victims of a crime end up getting killed with their own weapons. That's absurd! If some criminal is going to kill me with my own gun, they're going to have to beat me to death with it, because it's going to be empty by the time they get to it.

Re: What is your response?

I usually say "because when seconds count, the cops are minutes away." And "Bcause I take the safety of my family personally."

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    I reply, because crime is out of control, and anyone who does not carry is a fool.
    Thanks. This is also a good one.
    A lady friend once argued that a lot of gun owners that are victims of a crime end up getting killed with their own weapons. That's absurd! If some criminal is going to kill me with my own gun, they're going to have to beat me to death with it, because it's going to be empty by the time they get to it.

It depends on the situation but my primary response is "Because I don't like violence"
    It tends to throw most off balance and has proven to be a great conversation starter.

Its legal and its my right to do so. Why don't you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

when I can I like to say "The same reasons you should be!" great conversation starter. gets them on the track (in their head) of what would make me want to carry?
    Last edited by Frantic84; 08-25-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    remove handgun registration in Clark County,NV

2nd amendment in modern English: The people have the right to own and carry firearms, and it may not be violated because a well-equipped Militia is necessary for a State to remain secure and free.

While I think I understand that you might be looking for the most elegant response to give, I still prefer the one I came up with spontaneously when asked by a tourist from New Jersey. A bunch of us were standing around outside after having finished breakfast (we meet weekly to eat and gab). The tourist and his family came in after we had been inside a few minutes, and they all went when one of our group got up from the table to refresh their coffee cup, and again when one got up to reduce the amount of coffee being carried internally, at which point they realized that all of us were OCing. When that realization hit, they went from to .

When they came out the older male came up and asked why we were all carring guns on our side. I turned to him and told him it was because it evened out the weight -- if I did not, I would lean over ::leaning about 45* to port:: because of the weight of the magazines. You could literally hear the gears grinding as he tried to process that, then suddenly he got it! All of us had a 15 or 20 minute conversation with him and his family about all the various notions that might bring one to OCing. They went on about the rest of their day well fed, educated, and no longer feeling as if thery had just walked into a Westworld set of The Shootout at the OK Corral.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    I usually say "because when seconds count, the cops are minutes away." And "Bcause I take the safety of my family personally."
    This is great!

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    While I think I understand that you might be looking for the most elegant response to give, I still prefer the one I came up with spontaneously when asked by a tourist from New Jersey. A bunch of us were standing around outside after having finished breakfast (we meet weekly to eat and gab). The tourist and his family came in after we had been inside a few minutes, and they all went when one of our group got up from the table to refresh their coffee cup, and again when one got up to reduce the amount of coffee being carried internally, at which point they realized that all of us were OCing. When that realization hit, they went from to .

When they came out the older male came up and asked why we were all carring guns on our side. I turned to him and told him it was because it evened out the weight -- if I did not, I would lean over ::leaning about 45* to port:: because of the weight of the magazines. You could literally hear the gears grinding as he tried to process that, then suddenly he got it! All of us had a 15 or 20 minute conversation with him and his family about all the various notions that might bring one to OCing. They went on about the rest of their day well fed, educated, and no longer feeling as if thery had just walked into a Westworld set of The Shootout at the OK Corral.

stay safe.
    LOL This sounds just like the sarcastic kind of response I'd give. Great story.

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    It depends on the situation but my primary response is "Because I don't like violence"
    It tends to throw most off balance and has proven to be a great conversation starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCinMaine View Post
    Its legal and its my right to do so. Why don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Frantic84 View Post
    when I can I like to say "The same reasons you should be!" great conversation starter. gets them on the track (in their head) of what would make me want to carry?
    All great. Thanks to all for a lot of helpful ideas.

I haven't been asked yet, but if I am, I think mine will be. ( a lot like your answer)
    "To protect myself, my family, and my community."
    "To protect myself and my family, OR POSSIBLY, you and your family". That way, if they are thinking, I don't need or want your protection, maybe they'll think, Well I may be glad down the road if there is somebody armed near my kids when I am not there to protect them. I know if my teenagers are at a mall somewhere, without me, (as they most likely would be) I would be glad to have an armed citizen around if some maniac was going nuts with a weapon.
    Last edited by hjmoosejaw; 08-25-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    watch your top knot !

Up until now, I have only been able to OC when visiting OC friendly states. I have been approached a few times, but never with that question. I have been asked "Who are you with? My reply "Nobody, just a concerned citizen." His response "COOL"
    "Do you just carry wherever you want?" My reply "Yes. It's Virginia and this is legal here." That was in a hotel elevator with FBI agents from Baton Rouge. They were visibly not happy, I visibly was"
    "Cool, what do you carry" This ended up in a 5 minute conversation with an employee.

It's good to have several replies ready and just go with the moment.

Banned
    My reply: "you'll find out"

What is your response?

"It's my Constitutional right and I choose to exercise it."

Quote Originally Posted by hjmoosejaw View Post
    I haven't been asked yet, but if I am, I think mine will be. ( a lot like your answer) "To protect myself and my family, OR POSSIBLY, you and your family". That way, if they are thinking, I don't need or want your protection, maybe they'll think, Well I may be glad down the road if there is somebody armed near my kids when I am not there to protect them. I know if my teenagers are at a mall somewhere, without me, (as they most likely would be) I would be glad to have an armed citizen around if some maniac was going nuts with a weapon.
    My only problem with my own reply (Which is what prompted this post) is that it sounds a little contrived, at least coming out of my mouth. Lots of good ideas here. Your suggestion of "To protect myself and my family, OR POSSIBLY, you and your family" Sounds a little better and less scripted than mine.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Whenever people ask me questions along this line, the first thing I do is to take an immediate inventory of their persona.... how I perceive them and how I believe they will react when I answer. I do this because I am more of a mind to answer in a somewhat comical fashion than to be all serious and monotone. My most common answer to, ""why are you carrying [or why do you carry] a gun?" is this;

"So I don't have to use it."

This usually lightens things up and starts a friendly and more cheerful conversation.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

"For the same reason you don't" (Freedom to choose)

Quote Originally Posted by Ospy View Post
    My only problem with my own reply (Which is what prompted this post) is that it sounds a little contrived, at least coming out of my mouth. Lots of good ideas here. Your suggestion of "To protect myself and my family, OR POSSIBLY, you and your family" Sounds a little better and less scripted than mine.
    Feel free to use it. LOL!.... That part about "Or Possibly" can work both ways. Meaning, if he gives me a hard time about having a gun, and he came under attack while I have a chance to escape, I may just holler back to him while getting out of Dodge, "Hey buddy, too bad you don't believe in guns"...........Besta Luck To Ya!
    Last edited by hjmoosejaw; 08-25-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    watch your top knot !

Quote Originally Posted by Ospy View Post
    LOL This sounds just like the sarcastic kind of response I'd give. Great story.
    Snark, maybe, but not sarcasm.

As someone else noted, the response often is based on the attitude of the person asking. Incredulous tourist wondering how folks "here" can get away with something nobody "back home" can do vs FBI suits feeling threatened that the hoi poloi are equal - or better - armed than they are.

What gets my mind all befuzzled is when anybody asks me if I'm a cop. Seriously, dude, do I look like a cop? I look more like Santa Claus - and on an occassion or two I've told small children that the gun is there to protect their toys from the bad robber people who do not like little children getting gifts. Everybody walks away with a smile.

What really helps id that I carry 2-sided business cards with info about OC and the few laws about where firearms are not allowed, and contact info for OCDO and VCDL. Great reinforcer for the educational spiel and a great conversational cue about the law and OCing.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Snark, maybe, but not sarcasm.

As someone else noted, the response often is based on the attitude of the person asking. Incredulous tourist wondering how folks "here" can get away with something nobody "back home" can do vs FBI suits feeling threatened that the hoi poloi are equal - or better - armed than they are.

What gets my mind all befuzzled is when anybody asks me if I'm a cop. Seriously, dude, do I look like a cop? I look more like Santa Claus - and on an occassion or two I've told small children that the gun is there to protect their toys from the bad robber people who do not like little children getting gifts. Everybody walks away with a smile.

What really helps id that I carry 2-sided business cards with info about OC and the few laws about where firearms are not allowed, and contact info for OCDO and VCDL. Great reinforcer for the educational spiel and a great conversational cue about the law and OCing.

stay safe.
    I like getting the cop question when I'm wearing old worn out shorts a stained shirt and flip flops. Haha. I swear one day I'm going to say, "Yes, I'm undercover. Shhhhh." Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by CCinMaine View Post
    I like getting the cop question when I'm wearing old worn out shorts a stained shirt and flip flops. Haha. I swear one day I'm going to say, "Yes, I'm undercover. Shhhhh." Haha.

For legal reasons NEVER claim to be a cop if you're not. I don't want any of my fellow pro-freedom 'friends' to end up in jail over a joke.

Now for how I answer.

One response I use is, "Historically being armed was the sign of being a free man, even slaves when freed were given a weapon. I carry to show that I am not a slave, so why don't you carry?"
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Some of my favorites from an email I received from a friend,

Because an armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" "No, Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

A visiting lady once asked me if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said, "Well, I certainly hope it isn't loaded!" To which I said, "Of course it's loaded... can't work without bullets!" She then asked, "Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?" My reply was, "No... not at all. I'm not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around and they're all loaded too. To which I'll add...having a gun in the house that isn't loaded, is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank."

I carry a gun so I don't have to shoot anybody but still have the ability to is somebody forces me to.

Basically, "I'm a peaceable kinda guy & want to keep it that way",

Mainly, because I work night shift in a Crime/ Drug/ Welfare infested city.

& also I found a sizeable amount of Cocaine ... gladly turned over to LEO's.

So, right then I realized that.....

Life is good, for the good at heart...... & .....

Most of the rest of them (on the Gov't dole outs) believe that they are entitled to have what I have earned,,,, no matter what.

To ***THEM*** MY life is worth 'bout $20 +/- change and if they want it, they got a fight on their hands,...

It's their choice, not mine.

Peace & Love To All & RKBA4ever !!!
    Last edited by scott58dh; 08-29-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    For legal reasons NEVER claim to be a cop if you're not. I don't want any of my fellow pro-freedom 'friends' to end up in jail over a joke.
    Trust me I'm not going to ever claim that. Just speaking to the frustration of the majority of people thinking only cops are able to carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast