• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is your response?

Ospy

I am wondering what the best response to to the question: Why do you carry a gun? By 'best response', I think I mean the most politically advantages. How do You reply? Personally I currently respond with, "To protect myself, my family, and my community." I don't remember where I heard this, but I like the affect of spinning the concern to let the other person know and understand that I am also carrying to protect them. Is there a better answer? Please let me know how you reply. I am curious.

Shoobee

I reply, because crime is out of control, so anyone who does not carry is a fool.

Although some crime is wasp, most crime is minority based. The blundered resolution of the American Civil War created a huge underclass of freed slaves which has resulted in the majority of our street crime today. And an open border with Mexico has resulted in much of the balance of the crime wave we have now. And also, ratholes like NYC and Chicago have spawned and bred career criminals of all races who are opportunistic, and they live for the opportunity of finding an anti-gun fool.

From the first colonization of America when the land was being wrested away from the indigenous peoples, who have since become mostly extinct in North America north of the Rio Grande, guns were a necessity, unless you were a fool. Other indigenous peoples from south of the Rio Grande combined with non-indigenous African ghetto rats now account for most of the hostility today, although a fair share of caucasian psychopaths is also on the loose all over America, north and south.

And since God did not create all men equal, we must instead rely on Samuel Colt and John Browning at times instead.

You can give your heart to Jesus but you still need to protect your azz with a gun until Jesus comes again.

Last edited:

DamonK

I usually say "because when seconds count, the cops are minutes away." And "Bcause I take the safety of my family personally."

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Shoobee

Thanks. This is also a good one.

Even if we were all Puritans living in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, the watchmen up on the towers of the timber fortress would need to be armed.

The pilgrims inside could leave their guns at home, as long as they stayed within running distance of them, in case there was an Indian attack.

Wandering outside the fortress however you would need to be armed to the teeth.

Nothing has changed about America since then.

Just different Indians. Brown ones and black ones now. And even a few white ones too. Even though the red ones are gone.

Last edited:

Shoobee

Welcome to the forum, Ospy.

It's a good place with great references and may expert advisors.

Some folks come here to learn about guns.

Some come here to learn about gun laws.

Some are part time OC.

Some are full time OC.

Some love to debate and are good at it.

Some are not good at debate at all just obnoxious.

Have fun and enjoy!

pfries

It depends on the situation but my primary response is "Because I don't like violence"
It tends to throw most off balance and has proven to be a great conversation starter.

Frantic84

when I can I like to say "The same reasons you should be!" great conversation starter. gets them on the track (in their head) of what would make me want to carry?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While I think I understand that you might be looking for the most elegant response to give, I still prefer the one I came up with spontaneously when asked by a tourist from New Jersey. A bunch of us were standing around outside after having finished breakfast (we meet weekly to eat and gab). The tourist and his family came in after we had been inside a few minutes, and they all went :shocker: when one of our group got up from the table to refresh their coffee cup, and again :shocker: when one got up to reduce the amount of coffee being carried internally, at which point they realized that all of us were OCing. When that realization hit, they went from :shocker: to :uhoh:.

When they came out the older male came up and asked why we were all carring guns on our side. I turned to him and told him it was because it evened out the weight -- if I did not, I would lean over ::leaning about 45* to port:: because of the weight of the magazines. You could literally hear the gears grinding as he tried to process that, then suddenly he got it! All of us had a 15 or 20 minute conversation with him and his family about all the various notions that might bring one to OCing. They went on about the rest of their day well fed, educated, and no longer feeling as if thery had just walked into a Westworld set of The Shootout at the OK Corral.

stay safe.

Ospy

While I think I understand that you might be looking for the most elegant response to give, I still prefer the one I came up with spontaneously when asked by a tourist from New Jersey. A bunch of us were standing around outside after having finished breakfast (we meet weekly to eat and gab). The tourist and his family came in after we had been inside a few minutes, and they all went :shocker: when one of our group got up from the table to refresh their coffee cup, and again :shocker: when one got up to reduce the amount of coffee being carried internally, at which point they realized that all of us were OCing. When that realization hit, they went from :shocker: to :uhoh:.

When they came out the older male came up and asked why we were all carring guns on our side. I turned to him and told him it was because it evened out the weight -- if I did not, I would lean over ::leaning about 45* to port:: because of the weight of the magazines. You could literally hear the gears grinding as he tried to process that, then suddenly he got it! All of us had a 15 or 20 minute conversation with him and his family about all the various notions that might bring one to OCing. They went on about the rest of their day well fed, educated, and no longer feeling as if thery had just walked into a Westworld set of The Shootout at the OK Corral.

stay safe.

LOL This sounds just like the sarcastic kind of response I'd give. Great story.

Ospy

It depends on the situation but my primary response is "Because I don't like violence"
It tends to throw most off balance and has proven to be a great conversation starter.

Its legal and its my right to do so. Why don't you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

when I can I like to say "The same reasons you should be!" great conversation starter. gets them on the track (in their head) of what would make me want to carry?

All great. Thanks to all for a lot of helpful ideas.

hjmoosejaw

I haven't been asked yet, but if I am, I think mine will be. ( a lot like your answer)
"To protect myself, my family, and my community."
"To protect myself and my family, OR POSSIBLY, you and your family". That way, if they are thinking, I don't need or want your protection, maybe they'll think, Well I may be glad down the road if there is somebody armed near my kids when I am not there to protect them. I know if my teenagers are at a mall somewhere, without me, (as they most likely would be) I would be glad to have an armed citizen around if some maniac was going nuts with a weapon.

Last edited:

okiephlyer

Up until now, I have only been able to OC when visiting OC friendly states. I have been approached a few times, but never with that question. I have been asked "Who are you with? My reply "Nobody, just a concerned citizen." His response "COOL"
"Do you just carry wherever you want?" My reply "Yes. It's Virginia and this is legal here." That was in a hotel elevator with FBI agents from Baton Rouge. They were visibly not happy, I visibly was"
"Cool, what do you carry" This ended up in a 5 minute conversation with an employee.

It's good to have several replies ready and just go with the moment.

Ospy

I haven't been asked yet, but if I am, I think mine will be. ( a lot like your answer) "To protect myself and my family, OR POSSIBLY, you and your family". That way, if they are thinking, I don't need or want your protection, maybe they'll think, Well I may be glad down the road if there is somebody armed near my kids when I am not there to protect them. I know if my teenagers are at a mall somewhere, without me, (as they most likely would be) I would be glad to have an armed citizen around if some maniac was going nuts with a weapon.

My only problem with my own reply (Which is what prompted this post) is that it sounds a little contrived, at least coming out of my mouth. Lots of good ideas here. Your suggestion of "To protect myself and my family, OR POSSIBLY, you and your family" Sounds a little better and less scripted than mine.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Whenever people ask me questions along this line, the first thing I do is to take an immediate inventory of their persona.... how I perceive them and how I believe they will react when I answer. I do this because I am more of a mind to answer in a somewhat comical fashion than to be all serious and monotone. My most common answer to, ""why are you carrying [or why do you carry] a gun?" is this;

"So I don't have to use it."

This usually lightens things up and starts a friendly and more cheerful conversation.