• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is your response?

hjmoosejaw

My only problem with my own reply (Which is what prompted this post) is that it sounds a little contrived, at least coming out of my mouth. Lots of good ideas here. Your suggestion of "To protect myself and my family, OR POSSIBLY, you and your family" Sounds a little better and less scripted than mine.

Feel free to use it. LOL!.... That part about "Or Possibly" can work both ways. Meaning, if he gives me a hard time about having a gun, and he came under attack while I have a chance to escape, I may just holler back to him while getting out of Dodge, "Hey buddy, too bad you don't believe in guns"...........Besta Luck To Ya!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
LOL This sounds just like the sarcastic kind of response I'd give. Great story.

Snark, maybe, but not sarcasm.

As someone else noted, the response often is based on the attitude of the person asking. Incredulous tourist wondering how folks "here" can get away with something nobody "back home" can do vs FBI suits feeling threatened that the hoi poloi are equal - or better - armed than they are.

What gets my mind all befuzzled is when anybody asks me if I'm a cop. Seriously, dude, do I look like a cop? I look more like Santa Claus - and on an occassion or two I've told small children that the gun is there to protect their toys from the bad robber people who do not like little children getting gifts. Everybody walks away with a smile.

What really helps id that I carry 2-sided business cards with info about OC and the few laws about where firearms are not allowed, and contact info for OCDO and VCDL. Great reinforcer for the educational spiel and a great conversational cue about the law and OCing.

stay safe.

CCinMaine

Snark, maybe, but not sarcasm.

As someone else noted, the response often is based on the attitude of the person asking. Incredulous tourist wondering how folks "here" can get away with something nobody "back home" can do vs FBI suits feeling threatened that the hoi poloi are equal - or better - armed than they are.

What gets my mind all befuzzled is when anybody asks me if I'm a cop. Seriously, dude, do I look like a cop? I look more like Santa Claus - and on an occassion or two I've told small children that the gun is there to protect their toys from the bad robber people who do not like little children getting gifts. Everybody walks away with a smile.

What really helps id that I carry 2-sided business cards with info about OC and the few laws about where firearms are not allowed, and contact info for OCDO and VCDL. Great reinforcer for the educational spiel and a great conversational cue about the law and OCing.

stay safe.

I like getting the cop question when I'm wearing old worn out shorts a stained shirt and flip flops. Haha. I swear one day I'm going to say, "Yes, I'm undercover. Shhhhh." Haha.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Freedom1Man

I like getting the cop question when I'm wearing old worn out shorts a stained shirt and flip flops. Haha. I swear one day I'm going to say, "Yes, I'm undercover. Shhhhh." Haha.

For legal reasons NEVER claim to be a cop if you're not. I don't want any of my fellow pro-freedom 'friends' to end up in jail over a joke.

Now for how I answer.

One response I use is, "Historically being armed was the sign of being a free man, even slaves when freed were given a weapon. I carry to show that I am not a slave, so why don't you carry?"

Chris 45LC

Some of my favorites from an email I received from a friend,

Because an armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" "No, Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

A visiting lady once asked me if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said, "Well, I certainly hope it isn't loaded!" To which I said, "Of course it's loaded... can't work without bullets!" She then asked, "Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?" My reply was, "No... not at all. I'm not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around and they're all loaded too. To which I'll add...having a gun in the house that isn't loaded, is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank."

ALOC1911

I carry a gun so I don't have to shoot anybody but still have the ability to is somebody forces me to.

scott58dh

Basically, "I'm a peaceable kinda guy & want to keep it that way",

Mainly, because I work night shift in a Crime/ Drug/ Welfare infested city.

& also I found a sizeable amount of Cocaine ... gladly turned over to LEO's.

So, right then I realized that.....

Life is good, for the good at heart...... & .....

Most of the rest of them (on the Gov't dole outs) believe that they are entitled to have what I have earned,,,, no matter what.

To ***THEM*** MY life is worth 'bout $20 +/- change and if they want it, they got a fight on their hands,...

It's their choice, not mine.

Peace & Love To All & RKBA4ever !!! :cool:

Last edited:

CCinMaine

For legal reasons NEVER claim to be a cop if you're not. I don't want any of my fellow pro-freedom 'friends' to end up in jail over a joke.

Trust me I'm not going to ever claim that. Just speaking to the frustration of the majority of people thinking only cops are able to carry.

OC for ME

I wonder if any of those folks who survived Aurora are asking themselves as to why they were not armed that day. I wonder if any of those who survived but lost a loved one are asking that question. It was reported that the Sikhs in Wisconsin are considering carrying something more useful than a ceremonial kirpan.

It is unfortunate that it takes violence to convince some folks that the 2A is a important right that we all have.

Ospy

"Historically being armed was the sign of being a free man, even slaves when freed were given a weapon. I carry to show that I am not a slave, so why don't you carry?"

I really like this too!

Some of my favorites from an email I received from a friend,

Because an armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" "No, Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

A visiting lady once asked me if I had a gun in the house. I said I did. She said, "Well, I certainly hope it isn't loaded!" To which I said, "Of course it's loaded... can't work without bullets!" She then asked, "Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?" My reply was, "No... not at all. I'm not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around and they're all loaded too. To which I'll add...having a gun in the house that isn't loaded, is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank."

These are all good

Freedom1Man

Trust me I'm not going to ever claim that. Just speaking to the frustration of the majority of people thinking only cops are able to carry.

I understand the feeling. You might modify that response then.

"I am not allowed to tell you that I am a cop *wink*"

"Wait, who told you I was a cop? I'll have their badge over this."

"I could lose my job if I disclosed that information."

Get creative without ever really claiming you are one.

wolfgangmob

I've never had to respond to this question, no one ever asks me, not even the local police, the closest thing to an encounter was a cop telling me it was legal but not a good idea :(

Last edited: