• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Perfect shot

Firearms Iinstuctor

Actual the shot was at 57 yards.

You can expect to be cuffed once the police arrived.

I am sure you walk around with a shirt saying don't cuff me I am the good guy.

Even then your going to get cuff untill it is all sorted out.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Actual the shot was at 57 yards.

You can expect to be cuffed once the police arrived.

I am sure you walk around with a shirt saying don't cuff me I am the good guy.

Even then your going to get cuff untill it is all sorted out.

57 yards or 171 feet with a pistol is one hell of a shot under stress, and this guy did it four times! I would bet the majority of people here would find it difficult. Good on this man for doing what he did. One less nut we all have to worry about.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Depends on the situation. I've had more than one law enforcement officer who's told me if things ever went south on a ride-along, they'd much rather I do something than do nothing.

But as a ride along you were known to the officer. Coming upon a unkown situation with unknown actors involved.

They are cuffing and detaining every body untill it is cleared up.

Yes you could very well be a hero and saved my fellow officers life. But unless I saw you do it your going to get cuffed and detained.

You well get thanked a lot after things are cleared up but untill then if I don't know you and what happen you well be cuff and detained.

Officers can't read minds. They can't see what happen when they were not there. All good guys and bad guys don't wear signs telling them who is who when they arrive.

twoskinsonemanns

Depends on the situation. I've had more than one law enforcement officer who's told me if things ever went south on a ride-along, they'd much rather I do something than do nothing.

I appreciate what your saying as far as the cops may not ALWAYS want you to do nothing, but doing nothing is always the best bet. Do something will probably get you arrested.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Like shoot 'em in the arse? :lol::lol: Do something .... ok ... bam bam ... HEY!

zack991

In general, yeah, but the cop who's life he saved definitely appreciated the assistance.
If an officer is getting his head pummeled in or is looking like he is having problems fighting off an attack I will do what I can to help the man/women. I will not intervene if the officer seems to have it under control unless asked. I honestly would have problems sleeping knowing an officer ended up killed or seriously wounded because I did not want to get involved. If getting temporary handcuff is the price then so be it, at least the officer can go home at the end of the night.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

If an officer is getting his head pummeled in or is looking like he is having problems fighting off an attack I will do what I can to help the man/women. I will not intervene if the officer seems to have it under control unless asked. I honestly would have problems sleeping knowing an officer ended up killed or seriously wounded because I did not want to get involved. If getting temporary handcuff is the price then so be it, at least the officer can go home at the end of the night.

Many officers will galdly take your help and in some states you are cover as far as lieabilty if you do.

In Wis. If a LEO asks for your help it is against the law to refused. But in asking he is making you are LEO so you are just as covered as they are.

So there are good reasons to ask and their are good reasons not to.

since9

Campaign Veteran
But as a ride along you were known to the officer. Coming upon a unkown situation with unknown actors involved.

So you think they'd be any less grateful for the assist than was the rescued police officer who indicated he was very grateful for the assist?

They are cuffing and detaining every body untill it is cleared up.

As initially happened in this situation. It was cleared up in minutes, if not seconds, when the first on-scene responder set the other arriving units straight.

Yes you could very well be a hero and saved my fellow officers life. But unless I saw you do it your going to get cuffed and detained.

(shrugs) Ok.

Officers can't read minds. They can't see what happen when they were not there. All good guys and bad guys don't wear signs telling them who is who when they arrive.

There are a good many things they CAN read:
- the fact that I'm pointing a gun in the direction of the perp, instead of them
- the fact I'm behind cover between myself and the perp, instead of cover between the LEO and I
- the fact that I may be yelling the same or similar commands to the perp as the LEO
- the fact that if I'm advancing onto the scene, I'll be advancing towards the perp and not towards the LEO
- the fact that I'll be doing so in the same manner (body movements, the way I hold the firearm) as the LEO

All these literally say same the same thing: "LEO." While that's not actually the case, the point is, that's the message that's communicated to the LEO. If the LEO feels like he has enough time to stop and ask me if I'm law enforcement, I'll simply reply "Air Force" or "military." It's neither lying nor implying, but between that and my actions, it'll be enough.

As per the advice of several friends on the force, including a gent with S.W.A.T., if LEO reinforcements arrive, I'll have unloaded and distanced myself from my handgun BEFORE they arrive on scene.

Last edited:

OC for ME

MO Constitution, Art. I, Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power,.....blah blah blah.
I do not know of a single LEO in my neck of the woods that would invoke this provision in the heat of the moment unless he knew that the citizen is armed. A OC citizen may or may not be "summoned", a CC citizen would never be summoned. Then again a OCing old codger may not be summoned, nor a young buck for that matter.

DamonK

I appreciate what your saying as far as the cops may not ALWAYS want you to do nothing, but doing nothing is always the best bet. Do something will probably get you arrested.

I don't mean to offend you, but that is a terrible attitude. What I take from your statement is that you would rather watch someone(anyone) be killed and just hide instead of standing up for your community and helping to defend it. It's that mindset that has allowed our rights to be limited over the years. The whole idea that "well they aren't coming after me" is a very dangerous way of thinking. Am I going to armor up and join the swat team in an assault every time I see them? No. Would I lend a needed hand if the situation called for it? Without hesitation. I'll paraphrase the boondock saints, that the greater evil is when good men do nothing. I'm not saying that the saints movies are or aren't what you should live by. But I agree with every fiber in my being that as responsible citizens, we have a duty to keep each other safe. That may include grabbing some kid that isn't mine from infront of a moving vehical, or as in this case, saving the life of an officer that was trying to help keep our community safe.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

WalkingWolf

I don't mean to offend you, but that is a terrible attitude. What I take from your statement is that you would rather watch someone(anyone) be killed and just hide instead of standing up for your community and helping to defend it. It's that mindset that has allowed our rights to be limited over the years. The whole idea that "well they aren't coming after me" is a very dangerous way of thinking. Am I going to armor up and join the swat team in an assault every time I see them? No. Would I lend a needed hand if the situation called for it? Without hesitation. I'll paraphrase the boondock saints, that the greater evil is when good men do nothing. I'm not saying that the saints movies are or aren't what you should live by. But I agree with every fiber in my being that as responsible citizens, we have a duty to keep each other safe. That may include grabbing some kid that isn't mine from infront of a moving vehical, or as in this case, saving the life of an officer that was trying to help keep our community safe.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

What you are saying is use common sense, IMO. It makes sense to help a person when it can be done, and should be done. Common sense should be applied in all aspects of our lives. It seems that the lack of common sense is a problem across the country.