Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just say no when the TSA asks you to 'chat'

Just say no when the TSA asks you to 'chat'

...she wanted to know where home was...

I asked her why the federal government needed to know where I was going and what I would be doing. She explained that the questions were part of a new security "pilot program."
    http://www.mlive.com/opinion/muskego...e_gunn_37.html

Hey, we may not catch terrorists, but at least revenue collecting is up!!!

The "chat down" program has been a failure, by the way, at least according to a recent editorial published in USA Today. TSA officials interviewed about 725,000 travelers at Logan International Airport in Boston over the course of one year, and none of them turned out to be terrorists. A small percentage were arrested on outstanding warrants for other crimes, but that's not the purpose of the (sic)

To make matters worse, some TSA agents have told civil rights attorneys that they were instructed to target minority passengers at airports, to increase the odds of finding criminals and build justification for the program.

Banned
    you'll answer their questions ....

People still fly on commercial aircraft? I gave up on that a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    What is a "few years ago" for you?

Me it was 2001. Except when I had to fly home from Korea at the end of 2001.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    Most cases it's cheaper to drive anyway. even with gas at 4/gallon.

I would never fly to a destination less the 1500 miles away anyway, If I can make it in a day's drive I don't think it's worth the extra $$$$ to fly there. and to honest, flying scares me anyway. I'll take Amtrak before riding the friendly skies, and at least I get to keep my dignity
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    you'll answer their questions ....
    In Klingon
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Most cases it's cheaper to drive anyway. even with gas at 4/gallon.
    I live in Colorado. My son lives in California, 1,263 miles distant. The round-trip cost of driving starts at around $500, and that doesn't include hotels, meals, and lost time. Total comes to around $900.

Cost of flying is usually around $300, one-third the price.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I live in Colorado. My son lives in California, 1,263 miles distant. The round-trip cost of driving starts at around $500, and that doesn't include hotels, meals, and lost time. Total comes to around $900.

300 one way it appears from looking at Travelocity. I'm sure special deals might come into play but I'm nowhere near savvy enough to time those right. And I can drive 1200 in 22 hours. As long as I get coffee I can do that one without needing hotels and the food I require is dollar cheeseburgers from McDs

or maybe youdo get round trip for 300 I don't fly do I'm just quoting you travelocity
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    What is a "few years ago" for you?

Me it was 2001. Except when I had to fly home from Korea at the end of 2001.
    Five years ago. Flew from SC to NH for my sister's wedding. Airline lost my luggage, including my firearm, and then acted like it wasn't their problem until I threatened get my face on the news to talk about how they don't care about keeping firearms secure.

Since then the airlines have really gone down the toilet. I refuse to fly. If I can't drive there I'm not going.

Banned

Gotta get a better MPG vehicle ... mine would cost 252 - assuming $5 gas. No hotels, its a 1 shot trip.

$300 round trip is good, but you still need a car at your destination? Add 200-300 ... so a $600 trip v 250 driving.

Meals? Ya gotta eat anyway, so its a wash. Lost time? You can save time driving ... ever been stranded at an airport?
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 08-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Gotta get a better MPG vehicle ... mine would cost 252 - assuming $5 gas. No hotels, its a 1 shot trip.

$300 round trip is good, but you still need a car at your destination? Add 200-300 ... so a $600 trip v 250 driving.

Meals? Ya gotta eat anyway, so its a wash. Lost time? You can save time driving ... ever been stranded at an airport?
    Renting a car can be pretty pricey, and you can be refused for a rental at the whim of the company. I don't think food is that expensive for a long strip, I just buy a a couple pounds of apples and a candy bar and a six pack of coke classic and those hold me over for a 1000 miles at a time.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I don't think food is that expensive for a long strip
    Not if you go at lunchtime, but day-shifters tend to be on the homely side.

Maybe 3 tanks of fuel (round trip) in the TDI with fill ups (to the neck) being around $50 bones or so.

Estimated cost of travel by car round trip maybe $150 to $175 with a margin for error. I think you are driving the wrong kind of car.. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

I'll drive, bus or ride a train before I fly again. Unfortunately, work doesnt let me pick one so if I'm on official business I have to fly. And it has nothing to do with cost (in most cases for me anyways), I just hate TSA and the airlines that much.

Back to the OP, can you simply decline to "chat"? Not that I fly anywhere anyhow, the last time I flew was in 1990 for my honeymoon.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Maybe 3 tanks of fuel (round trip) in the TDI with fill ups (to the neck) being around $50 bones or so.

Estimated cost of travel by car round trip maybe $150 to $175 with a margin for error. I think you are driving the wrong kind of car.. :P
    I used 4$ gas,,, since9 would be planning on 20.2 mpg...
    David used 5$ gas,,, planned on 50 mpg...
    VW factor has a supper car,,, at 4$ gas he plans on 57.7 mpg,,,5$ gas he is planning on 72.1 mpg!!! wow!

I,, would plan on 4$ gas,,,374$,, 27 mpg..
    I would still drive...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Unless you are REALLY cost concerned...I would consider the following as quite "valuable":

1) not catching some weird cold from flying and breathing so much recirculated air while in a little metal tube with a few hundred other people

2) not having to pay and leave your car unattended for days

3) not needing a rental on the other end of the trip

4) not having to drag your luggage all over creation multiple times

5) not worrying about government "criminals" pawing through (and possibly stealing things) from your checked luggage

6) being able to bring as much food, drinks, and shampoo (or other liquid items) you wish...not limited to 3 oz or less and having to buy from an airport shop

7) no flight cancellations, bumped seats, etc....although this is balanced against traffic jams and breakdowns.
    Last edited by carolina guy; 08-27-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    VW factor has a supper car,,, at 4$ gas he plans on 57.7 mpg,,,5$ gas he is planning on 72.1 mpg!!! wow!
    72mpg is a reach. Can attain low to mid 60mpg on the highway keeping around 65mph.

TDI stick shift ftw! (This is the earlier model 00's diesel btw)
    Last edited by VW_Factor; 08-27-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Then more on topic.

I wouldn't talk to them for any reason beyond the usual "screening" questions.

72mpg is a reach. Can attain low to mid 60mpg on the highway keeping around 65mph.

TDI stick shift ftw! (This is the earlier model 00's diesel btw)
    My manual '06 Jetta TDI definitely doesn't hit low 60s, even at sustained, optimal speed on the highway. I think maybe you're being a little generous on your estimates.

Banned
    Then more on topic.

I wouldn't talk to them for any reason beyond the usual "screening" questions.
    Just answer every question with "BANANAS!"....crazy people can fly too

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    My manual '06 Jetta TDI definitely doesn't hit low 60s, even at sustained, optimal speed on the highway. I think maybe you're being a little generous on your estimates.
    Tuned NB. Verified MPG multiple times.

Also, your '06 Jetta has the newer model diesel. I'd be surprised if you broke 45mpg.

TSA: Why are you flying today?

ME: I'm not flying.

TSA: Yes you are, you have a ticket.

ME: I'm not flying, the aircraft is flying.

TSA: Ok smartass, get on the plane.

ME: You get on the plane, I'm going to ride inside it.

TSA: Oh, wait we need to give you your free colonoscopy first.

ME:

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Unless you are REALLY cost concerned...I would consider the following as quite "valuable":

1) not catching some weird cold from flying and breathing so much recirculated air while in a little metal tube with a few hundred other people

2) not having to pay and leave your car unattended for days

3) not needing a rental on the other end of the trip

4) not having to drag your luggage all over creation multiple times

5) not worrying about government "criminals" pawing through (and possibly stealing things) from your checked luggage

6) being able to bring as much food, drinks, and shampoo (or other liquid items) you wish...not limited to 3 oz or less and having to buy from an airport shop

7) no flight cancellations, bumped seats, etc....although this is balanced against traffic jams and breakdowns.
    Keep in mind the automobile travel can only be a viable option if your driving in North America (although I suppose you can drive to South America), have the time to travel by auto. If I only have a week of vacation would I want to spend 50% or more of that time driving?
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast