• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just say no when the TSA asks you to 'chat'

VW_Factor

My manual '06 Jetta TDI definitely doesn't hit low 60s, even at sustained, optimal speed on the highway. I think maybe you're being a little generous on your estimates.

Tuned NB. Verified MPG multiple times.

Also, your '06 Jetta has the newer model diesel. I'd be surprised if you broke 45mpg.

Lasjayhawk

TSA: Why are you flying today?

ME: I'm not flying.

TSA: Yes you are, you have a ticket.

ME: I'm not flying, the aircraft is flying. :banghead:

TSA: Ok smartass, get on the plane.

ME: You get on the plane, I'm going to ride inside it. :banana:

TSA: Oh, wait we need to give you your free colonoscopy first.

ME: :cuss:

bigdaddy1

Unless you are REALLY cost concerned...I would consider the following as quite "valuable":

1) not catching some weird cold from flying and breathing so much recirculated air while in a little metal tube with a few hundred other people

2) not having to pay and leave your car unattended for days

3) not needing a rental on the other end of the trip

4) not having to drag your luggage all over creation multiple times

5) not worrying about government "criminals" pawing through (and possibly stealing things) from your checked luggage

6) being able to bring as much food, drinks, and shampoo (or other liquid items) you wish...not limited to 3 oz or less and having to buy from an airport shop

7) no flight cancellations, bumped seats, etc....although this is balanced against traffic jams and breakdowns.

Keep in mind the automobile travel can only be a viable option if your driving in North America (although I suppose you can drive to South America), have the time to travel by auto. If I only have a week of vacation would I want to spend 50% or more of that time driving?

since9

Campaign Veteran
300 one way it appears from looking at Travelocity...

I don't use Travelocity. I use Frontier Airlines, and he flies between Denver and Sacramento. His ROUND-TRIP ticket this summer was $257. Given the parking and the commutes, the total came to about $300.

And I can drive 1200 in 22 hours.

I can, as well, but it's not safe. In fact, anything more than about 500 miles runs into fatigue issues. Beyond 16 hours straight it gets serious, so the next time you take a long vacation, please let me know when and where so I can avoid your route of travel.

mark-in-texas

TSA Agent; "Where are you going sir?"

Me; "Destination's on the ticket."

TSA Agent; 'Business or pleasure?"

Me; "Some of both if I'm lucky."

carolina guy

Keep in mind the automobile travel can only be a viable option if your driving in North America (although I suppose you can drive to South America), have the time to travel by auto. If I only have a week of vacation would I want to spend 50% or more of that time driving?

Yeah...tough to drive to Europe or Hawaii. ;)

Well...since most air travel is domestic, I can give an easy example...after 9/11 a normally 3 hour trip from Charlotte to Cleveland took closer to 7 hours. Driving straight up I-77 takes just under 8 hours. Didn't take more than one extra annoying security scan "for my protection" to get the company to just book me a rental from Charlotte. Plus, I like to drive and I find the most uncomfortable newer car to be MUCH more comfortable than anything less than 1st class seats.

()pen(arry

1) not catching some weird cold from flying and breathing so much recirculated air while in a little metal tube with a few hundred other people

Self-serving tangent, as one of my best friends designed the air-handling systems for the 787:

There is, and has been for a very long time, extraordinary quality control applied to every milliliter of air that is ported into the passenger cabin on commercial airplanes. Indeed, the air you breath while flying on a commercial plane is safer than the air you breathe in a major metropolitan area, by at least an order of magnitude.

I pretty well agree with everything else in your list ;)

Hef

Yeah...tough to drive to Europe or Hawaii. ;)

Well...since most air travel is domestic, I can give an easy example...after 9/11 a normally 3 hour trip from Charlotte to Cleveland took closer to 7 hours. Driving straight up I-77 takes just under 8 hours. Didn't take more than one extra annoying security scan "for my protection" to get the company to just book me a rental from Charlotte. Plus, I like to drive and I find the most uncomfortable newer car to be MUCH more comfortable than anything less than 1st class seats.

When we visit family in Cincinnati or CT we either drive or we don't go. I prefer the freedom of driving.

carolina guy

Self-serving tangent, as one of my best friends designed the air-handling systems for the 787:

There is, and has been for a very long time, extraordinary quality control applied to every milliliter of air that is ported into the passenger cabin on commercial airplanes. Indeed, the air you breath while flying on a commercial plane is safer than the air you breathe in a major metropolitan area, by at least an order of magnitude.

I pretty well agree with everything else in your list ;)

I know they filter it pretty heavily...but by the time it gets to the back, it has had a chance to be "treated" by everyone on the way. I can't count the number of times that within a day of flying, I had a cold and that co-workers have the same happen. Without the filtering, I almost shudder to think. :)

EMNofSeattle

I don't use Travelocity. I use Frontier Airlines, and he flies between Denver and Sacramento. His ROUND-TRIP ticket this summer was $257. Given the parking and the commutes, the total came to about $300.

I can, as well, but it's not safe. In fact, anything more than about 500 miles runs into fatigue issues. Beyond 16 hours straight it gets serious, so the next time you take a long vacation, please let me know when and where so I can avoid your route of travel.

relax, the longest I've ever done is 820 in 13 hours. I take appropriate rest time. 500 miles isn't really bad on fatigue, I mean if you drive straight and don't stop to take rests. considering I refill at the half-tank I get a a few minutes of rest every 180-200 miles or so. well that was in my old car, a four door sidekick, now that I have a two-door my tank capacity is only 10 gallons so now 110 120 miles is the refill mark