• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about open carry im visiting FL Monday

Jimbok

Just so i know and that Im reading the law right till Fl gets it changed... I have a licencses from Ga.. and visting FL this Monday..
That a person can't open carry in FL .. unless if follows under rule 2. Fishing...Hunting... The only way I can carry in FL is that its concealed.. and that We can't carry on us while driving a car.. but we can keep it in the glove compartment

but below it does look confusing (yes I know, its purposely written like that by lawyers, need a straight update answer being Laws and or new changes that have taken effect

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—

(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
(a) A self-defense chemical spray.
(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
(3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

ADulay

Jimbok,

No open carry as you know it in Georgia so plan on concealed carry for all practical purposes.

Yes, you can "wear" your concealed gun while driving assuming you have a Georgia CCW permit/license.

That part about having the gun in the glove compartment is for people who do NOT have any CCW permit.

I just came back through Georgia last week and it was a pleasure to open carry in your state, as always.

Hopefully we'll get that here soon.

AD (open carry advocate)

Jimbok

Jimbok,

No open carry as you know it in Georgia so plan on concealed carry for all practical purposes.

Yes, you can "wear" your concealed gun while driving assuming you have a Georgia CCW permit/license.

That part about having the gun in the glove compartment is for people who do NOT have any CCW permit.

I just came back through Georgia last week and it was a pleasure to open carry in your state, as always.

Hopefully we'll get that here soon.

AD (open carry advocate)

that First sentence might mess with someone... FYI GA YOu can open Carry or conceal.. We are one of very few states that have the least restrictions on gun owners other then , No school carry yet accept picking up kids, 1000 ft rule, no carry in Church yet, No carry during state of Emergencies, no carry in post office, and a few other things.. All states should have open carry/concealed everywhere with very few exceptions, oh and get rid of "no signage" laws too.. about where they can ask you to leave and that if you dont its trespassing and also for states that ban guns where they either sell Alcohol or consume it, like at a bar or club. and get rid of the laws about "State of Emergency"..

ADulay

Jimbok,

Yes, I really mangled that first sentence for sure.

I meant to say the there's no open carry in Florida as you're used to in Georgia.

I promise I'll do better next time for sure!!

Hopefully you won't be flooded out on Monday.

AD

since9

Campaign Veteran
Nice summary, Jimbok! Colorado's less restrictive than Florida (ok to carry in churches and bars), but we still have a ways to go. We need to do SOMETHING to get around the deadlocked decision, which was really no decision at all, that failed to fix Denver's liberal anti-Constitutional ban against OC.

We should start by countering the ILLEGAL ban on firearms at the Colorado State Fair.

We're getting there, slowly but surely. Good luck to you and the Zimmerman case. No doubt the ONLY reason he was ever charged is as yet another Obamascreen to be used at an opportune time this Fall to divert attention from a critical Obama-Biden faux pas.

I have many fond memories of growing up in Florida, so Good Luck to you, Florida, as you weather Isaac this week and darker storms in the months ahead!

that First sentence might mess with someone... FYI GA YOu can open Carry or conceal.. We are one of very few states that have the least restrictions on gun owners other then , No school carry yet accept picking up kids, 1000 ft rule, no carry in Church yet, No carry during state of Emergencies, no carry in post office, and a few other things.. All states should have open carry/concealed everywhere with very few exceptions, oh and get rid of "no signage" laws too.. about where they can ask you to leave and that if you dont its trespassing and also for states that ban guns where they either sell Alcohol or consume it, like at a bar or club. and get rid of the laws about "State of Emergency"..

Rich7553

Nice summary, Jimbok! Colorado's less restrictive than Florida (ok to carry in churches and bars), but we still have a ways to go. We need to do SOMETHING to get around the deadlocked decision, which was really no decision at all, that failed to fix Denver's liberal anti-Constitutional ban against OC.

We should start by countering the ILLEGAL ban on firearms at the Colorado State Fair.

We're getting there, slowly but surely. Good luck to you and the Zimmerman case. No doubt the ONLY reason he was ever charged is as yet another Obamascreen to be used at an opportune time this Fall to divert attention from a critical Obama-Biden faux pas.

I have many fond memories of growing up in Florida, so Good Luck to you, Florida, as you weather Isaac this week and darker storms in the months ahead!

Actually, there is no prohibition on church carry in Florida. Bars? Yes.