Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Private Sale

  1. #1
    Regular Member Ricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hickory, N.C.
    Posts
    134

    Private Sale

    [B][B]Memory lapse? In order to sell a private party handgun "the buyer" has to have a pistol purchase permit to purchase from me? If so, what is the protocol once he presents the permit to me. Do I make a copy of if and write him a bill of sale?....Thanks....Ricky

  2. #2
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    there really is no law on this. the PPP (which is a stupid thing). is for the buyer saying he is not black or white trash. it has nothing to do with the firearm. you could do any of those things you suggested as a CYA.
    but not required by law
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    He is required to have it, you are required to be sure he is not a prohibited person and seeing the PPP plus ID answers that. Other than that, the rest is personal. Some like a bill, some don't. Some even like copies of everything. Personally, I verify then exchange the gun for money. FFL's are required to take the PPP.

    And appropriate, although vague, statue.

    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...GS_14-402.html
    Last edited by chiefjason; 08-26-2012 at 12:34 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    [B][B]Memory lapse? In order to sell a private party handgun "the buyer" has to have a pistol purchase permit to purchase from me? If so, what is the protocol once he presents the permit to me. Do I make a copy of if and write him a bill of sale?....Thanks....Ricky
    Legally, all that is needed for a private sale is for the buyer to obtain a permit before the transaction occurs. The seller is under no legal obligation to make a copy of the permit, retain the permit, or otherwise have anything to do with the permit.

    Personally, if I'm the seller, I'm going to make a bill of sale...but I would do that for a lawn mower, a motorcycle, or even a cool knife or something. There's no requirement for it, though. It's just something I'm going to do. If you'd like to make a copy of the permit and write out a bill of sale for your own peace of mind, it would probably be a good idea. But, that's up to you.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Ricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hickory, N.C.
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    Legally, all that is needed for a private sale is for the buyer to obtain a permit before the transaction occurs. The seller is under no legal obligation to make a copy of the permit, retain the permit, or otherwise have anything to do with the permit.

    Personally, if I'm the seller, I'm going to make a bill of sale...but I would do that for a lawn mower, a motorcycle, or even a cool knife or something. There's no requirement for it, though. It's just something I'm going to do. If you'd like to make a copy of the permit and write out a bill of sale for your own peace of mind, it would probably be a good idea. But, that's up to you.
    Yea Rotorhead, I think I'll do all of the above just to cover my butt. Years ago i wouldn't think about it, but now with the way things are if something were to happen theres lawyers on every corner waiting to sue. Got too much land and STUFF they could come after or I'd have to sell to pay for my own lawyer...thanks for the input.......Ricky
    Last edited by Ricky; 08-26-2012 at 10:23 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Yea Rotorhead, I think I'll do all of the above just to cover my butt. Years ago i wouldn't think about it, but now with the way things are if something were to happen theres lawyers on every corner waiting to sue. Got too much land and STUFF they could come after or I'd have to sell to pay for my own lawyer...thanks for the input.......Ricky
    Werd.

    It's not even so much to cover me in case the person I sell it to does something stupid down the road. It's more because once it's out of my hands as a result of a sale, you'll never know where it will end up years later and how many hands it will change. I make it a rule to only sell to people I know, but they might sell it to someone else, and so on...and I may never know where it ends up.

    If nothing else, I can show where and when it left my hands and I was no longer the owner of it no matter what happens eons later.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Burlington NC
    Posts
    49

    Private Sale

    Since there hasn't been a post in this topic for awhile, I'm gonna hijack it.
    I have kind of the same question except my friend already purchased one from Clist. He copied the guys info that sold it to him but he didn't know he needed a ppp.
    What can he do? After I told him he needed a ppp he's afraid to carry it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    Now if your friend is a prohibited person, purchased a firearm and is caught, they will enjoy the fate that awaits them.

    your friend needed the ppp to show the seller they are not a prohibited person...and if the seller didn't ask for one...eh?

    carry away...

    remember i am not providing legal advise as i munch on my carrot and sip the carrot juice...just my humble opinion...

    wabbit

    ps: CL lists firearms...really?
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Burlington NC
    Posts
    49

    Private Sale

    He is not a prohibited person. Just didn't know any better.
    CL doesn't allow it. They get flagged for listing firearms but they are on there long enough for you to get their contact info.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    Now if your friend is a prohibited person, purchased a firearm and is caught, they will enjoy the fate that awaits them.
    your friend needed the ppp to show the seller they are not a prohibited person...and if the seller didn't ask for one...eh?
    carry away...
    remember i am not providing legal advise as i munch on my carrot and sip the carrot juice...just my humble opinion...
    wabbit
    ps: CL lists firearms...really?
    Expanding on wabbits correct analysis: There is no database for private purchases, therefore no one knows when or how your friend came into possession of the gun. There is also no requirement to tell them. He can get the serial number checked to see if the gun has previously been on a watch list.

  11. #11
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    what WABBIT and BC said. the PPP is for the seller and has nothing to do with the gun. just another stupid racist act by the whitey's in NC
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •