• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Sale

Ricky

Memory lapse? In order to sell a private party handgun "the buyer" has to have a pistol purchase permit to purchase from me? If so, what is the protocol once he presents the permit to me. Do I make a copy of if and write him a bill of sale?....Thanks....Ricky

papa bear

there really is no law on this. the PPP (which is a stupid thing). is for the buyer saying he is not black or white trash. it has nothing to do with the firearm. you could do any of those things you suggested as a CYA.
but not required by law

chiefjason

Last edited:

rotorhead

Memory lapse? In order to sell a private party handgun "the buyer" has to have a pistol purchase permit to purchase from me? If so, what is the protocol once he presents the permit to me. Do I make a copy of if and write him a bill of sale?....Thanks....Ricky

Legally, all that is needed for a private sale is for the buyer to obtain a permit before the transaction occurs. The seller is under no legal obligation to make a copy of the permit, retain the permit, or otherwise have anything to do with the permit.

Personally, if I'm the seller, I'm going to make a bill of sale...but I would do that for a lawn mower, a motorcycle, or even a cool knife or something. There's no requirement for it, though. It's just something I'm going to do. If you'd like to make a copy of the permit and write out a bill of sale for your own peace of mind, it would probably be a good idea. But, that's up to you.

Ricky

Legally, all that is needed for a private sale is for the buyer to obtain a permit before the transaction occurs. The seller is under no legal obligation to make a copy of the permit, retain the permit, or otherwise have anything to do with the permit.

Personally, if I'm the seller, I'm going to make a bill of sale...but I would do that for a lawn mower, a motorcycle, or even a cool knife or something. There's no requirement for it, though. It's just something I'm going to do. If you'd like to make a copy of the permit and write out a bill of sale for your own peace of mind, it would probably be a good idea. But, that's up to you.

Yea Rotorhead, I think I'll do all of the above just to cover my butt. Years ago i wouldn't think about it, but now with the way things are if something were to happen theres lawyers on every corner waiting to sue. Got too much land and STUFF they could come after or I'd have to sell to pay for my own lawyer...thanks for the input.......Ricky

Last edited:

rotorhead

Yea Rotorhead, I think I'll do all of the above just to cover my butt. Years ago i wouldn't think about it, but now with the way things are if something were to happen theres lawyers on every corner waiting to sue. Got too much land and STUFF they could come after or I'd have to sell to pay for my own lawyer...thanks for the input.......Ricky

Werd.

It's not even so much to cover me in case the person I sell it to does something stupid down the road. It's more because once it's out of my hands as a result of a sale, you'll never know where it will end up years later and how many hands it will change. I make it a rule to only sell to people I know, but they might sell it to someone else, and so on...and I may never know where it ends up.

If nothing else, I can show where and when it left my hands and I was no longer the owner of it no matter what happens eons later.

Matt2908

Since there hasn't been a post in this topic for awhile, I'm gonna hijack it.
I have kind of the same question except my friend already purchased one from Clist. He copied the guys info that sold it to him but he didn't know he needed a ppp.
What can he do? After I told him he needed a ppp he's afraid to carry it.

ncwabbit

Now if your friend is a prohibited person, purchased a firearm and is caught, they will enjoy the fate that awaits them.

your friend needed the ppp to show the seller they are not a prohibited person...and if the seller didn't ask for one...eh?

carry away...

remember i am not providing legal advise as i munch on my carrot and sip the carrot juice...just my humble opinion...

wabbit

ps: CL lists firearms...really?

Matt2908

He is not a prohibited person. Just didn't know any better.
CL doesn't allow it. They get flagged for listing firearms but they are on there long enough for you to get their contact info.

bc.cruiser

Now if your friend is a prohibited person, purchased a firearm and is caught, they will enjoy the fate that awaits them.
your friend needed the ppp to show the seller they are not a prohibited person...and if the seller didn't ask for one...eh?
carry away...
remember i am not providing legal advise as i munch on my carrot and sip the carrot juice...just my humble opinion...
wabbit
ps: CL lists firearms...really?

Expanding on wabbits correct analysis: There is no database for private purchases, therefore no one knows when or how your friend came into possession of the gun. There is also no requirement to tell them. He can get the serial number checked to see if the gun has previously been on a watch list.

papa bear

what WABBIT and BC said. the PPP is for the seller and has nothing to do with the gun. just another stupid racist act by the whitey's in NC