Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Hi from a noob in Lexington

  1. #1
    Regular Member ZXguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    48

    Hi from a noob in Lexington

    Heya -- new here. I just spent the last hour or so hungrily reading as many threads as I could. This forum is awesome...so much really good information. It's exactly what I've been looking for. I especially liked the information in the forum Sticky...like the pamphlets. The info clarified a number of questions. I'm also really impressed with the level of activity here.

    I picked up my first handgun a few weeks ago and am trying to learn as much as I can about guns, the law, etc. There's a lot to digest, but I'm getting there and having some fun with it.

    I did take my CCDW already and am awaiting my papers and am doing a lot of range work in the meantime. I haven't OC much because I'm not yet totally comfortable and confident, but I am working that way. Mostly the only OC I've done has been while hiking or otherwise just out in the country. I think I'll be much more comfortable with concealed so I look forward to getting it all completed.

    Anyway...just wanting to say hi and that I think I'm gonna be addicted to this forum.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Welcome to OCDO ZXguy.

    You've been infected and there is no known cure, only relief is regular range time.

    Suggest that you attend a local meet n' greet and/or buddy up with an ol' hand for an afternoon. The face time and the one-on-one conversation beats hours and hours of reading.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    Welcome! Thank you very much for taking the time to read and research--that's refreshing. I'm in Georgetown and there are others of us in and around Lexington. I've had good interactions with Lexington LEOs, btw. I, like you, don't open carry very much. Probably should more-so. What is it you'll be carrying?

  4. #4
    Regular Member ZXguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Welcome to OCDO ZXguy.

    You've been infected and there is no known cure, only relief is regular range time.

    Suggest that you attend a local meet n' greet and/or buddy up with an ol' hand for an afternoon. The face time and the one-on-one conversation beats hours and hours of reading.

    Thanks, yeah, I think I was infected about the time I made the decision to buy. I'm learning it can be an expensive hobby though lol.

  5. #5
    Regular Member ZXguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by langzaiguy View Post
    Welcome! Thank you very much for taking the time to read and research--that's refreshing. I'm in Georgetown and there are others of us in and around Lexington. I've had good interactions with Lexington LEOs, btw. I, like you, don't open carry very much. Probably should more-so. What is it you'll be carrying?
    Yeah, I've really not heard any bad stories around the Bluegrass. I can't speak for everyone, but I have a lot of faith in most of our officers and believe most are really trying to do a good and honest job.

    I'm with a Glock 17 at the moment. I fell in love with it, but am wanting to learn others as well but not sure what my next will be.

    As for reading and research, I usually just like to dive in an learn as much as I can. Always fun to learn new stuff.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXguy View Post
    Heya -- new here. I just spent the last hour or so hungrily reading as many threads as I could. This forum is awesome...so much really good information. It's exactly what I've been looking for. I especially liked the information in the forum Sticky...like the pamphlets. The info clarified a number of questions. I'm also really impressed with the level of activity here.

    I picked up my first handgun a few weeks ago and am trying to learn as much as I can about guns, the law, etc. There's a lot to digest, but I'm getting there and having some fun with it.

    I did take my CCDW already and am awaiting my papers and am doing a lot of range work in the meantime. I haven't OC much because I'm not yet totally comfortable and confident, but I am working that way. Mostly the only OC I've done has been while hiking or otherwise just out in the country. I think I'll be much more comfortable with concealed so I look forward to getting it all completed.

    Anyway...just wanting to say hi and that I think I'm gonna be addicted to this forum.
    Welcome!
    You will be amazed at the information that is on this forum. Lots of people who are on here fight for the freedom we now have to OC. Take the time to read the laws that are posted, and know them by heart. If you don't have one, I suggest you get a pocket recorder, and carry it with you when you OC.
    Again, welcome, and stay safe!

  7. #7
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Comm View Post
    If you don't have one, I suggest you get a pocket recorder, and carry it with you when you OC.
    Welcome to the forums. You are correct that Kentucky cops, especially those that encounter OC, are better informed than other LEOs.

    Like Comm said, and what I just quoted, carry a recorder. He suggested to carry it when you OC, as you should, but I would suggest having it on your persons at all times. Being a firearms owner and carrier your rights will be questioned more than most. I would also suggest carrying a type of camera, this is especially easy if you combine all these into a smart phone.

    You need to understand when you are required by law to show ID and what an officer is allowed to do and when. Basically, you're not required to show ID unless you are driving (CDWL if you are CCing). If an officer demands ID for OCing (to see if you are not a felon) then that is up to you whether you comply with this demand. Many on here, like I, would suggest not to show ID if you are not required to by law. What if, if you are below the age of 21, the officer does not know you can legally carry at the age of 18? What if there is a warrant out on somebody with a similar name to you? In my past I found a James Isaac in Carr Creek Kentucky. So that is not that uncommon.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  8. #8
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXguy View Post
    Yeah, I've really not heard any bad stories around the Bluegrass. I can't speak for everyone, but I have a lot of faith in most of our officers and believe most are really trying to do a good and honest job.

    I'm with a Glock 17 at the moment. I fell in love with it, but am wanting to learn others as well but not sure what my next will be.

    As for reading and research, I usually just like to dive in an learn as much as I can. Always fun to learn new stuff.
    Welcome to our happy forum, hun~ please enjoy a free hug, and a basket of muffins~ *gives both *

    Oh, for your next pistol, I would suggest the Taurus PT100 40SW stainless~ Or a Hi-point... You can never go wrong with a pistol that can be all but destroyed, and still fire just as well as a Glock, plus it serves well as a brick, paperweight, something to put under your chair's leg to keep it level!
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  9. #9
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Welcome to our happy forum, hun~ please enjoy a free hug, and a basket of muffins~ *gives both *

    Oh, for your next pistol, I would suggest the Taurus PT100 40SW stainless~ Or a Hi-point... You can never go wrong with a pistol that can be all but destroyed, and still fire just as well as a Glock, plus it serves well as a brick, paperweight, something to put under your chair's leg to keep it level!
    There is only limited reasons to get a Hi-point. If you want to keep a firearm with you as you go Kayaking, limited funds, ect. After getting a glock, he would probably be disappointed in the quality of a hi-point.

    I always suggest getting the best firearm you can afford, especially if you may resale in sometime down the road.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  10. #10
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXguy View Post
    Yeah, I've really not heard any bad stories around the Bluegrass. I can't speak for everyone, but I have a lot of faith in most of our officers and believe most are really trying to do a good and honest job.

    I'm with a Glock 17 at the moment. I fell in love with it, but am wanting to learn others as well but not sure what my next will be.

    As for reading and research, I usually just like to dive in an learn as much as I can. Always fun to learn new stuff.
    I would recommend the Glock 20, 21, 22, 23, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35. HAHA. I'm not fond of the models in 9mm or .45 GAP (this is only because I don't like the calibers), but the others are excellent. I will not carry anything but a Glock as my primary unless it is on a very rare occassion where I want to OC something "pretty" for show. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the wealth of knowledge you will receive from hanging around, reading, and asking questions.

    If you would like to look over and print out the KRS that pertain to firearms the chapters are 237 and 527. There is also some important statutes in other chapters such as KRS 65.870, 244.125 and 447.154. The statutes can be found here: http://lrc.ky.gov/krs/titles.htm
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 08-26-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  11. #11
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXguy View Post
    Yeah, I've really not heard any bad stories around the Bluegrass. I can't speak for everyone, but I have a lot of faith in most of our officers and believe most are really trying to do a good and honest job.

    I'm with a Glock 17 at the moment. I fell in love with it, but am wanting to learn others as well but not sure what my next will be.

    As for reading and research, I usually just like to dive in an learn as much as I can. Always fun to learn new stuff.
    If you like the 17 and are looking for something different but similar I'd check out the Walther PPQ. Takedown, trigger and function are about the same, except the trigger is fully cocked instead of partially like the Glock. This gives it one of the best out of the box triggers for a striker fired gun.

    Smith & Wesson's M&P is a very diverse line of pistols available in 9, .357 SIG, .40 and .45, and as small as the Shield, and as large (and even larger I think) as your G17. The trigger is a bit heavier than the Glock or Walther, but the diversity of the line is what makes them approachable.

    If you want steel, and aren't left-handed, Sig is the way to go. Sig are pretty much the only manufacturer actively producing steel framed 9mms and are of course available.

    Without knowing what you're really looking for though, there's not much else I can say without rambling.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  12. #12
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    If you like the 17 and are looking for something different but similar I'd check out the Walther PPQ. Takedown, trigger and function are about the same, except the trigger is fully cocked instead of partially like the Glock. This gives it one of the best out of the box triggers for a striker fired gun.

    Smith & Wesson's M&P is a very diverse line of pistols available in 9, .357 SIG, .40 and .45, and as small as the Shield, and as large (and even larger I think) as your G17. The trigger is a bit heavier than the Glock or Walther, but the diversity of the line is what makes them approachable.

    If you want steel, and aren't left-handed, Sig is the way to go. Sig are pretty much the only manufacturer actively producing steel framed 9mms and are of course available.

    Without knowing what you're really looking for though, there's not much else I can say without rambling.
    I don't know about others but I have had horrible experience with Wather customer service; Smith and Wesson operates their support here in the states and they absolutely upset me over trouble I was having with a P22. If you are looking for something other than a Glock you certainly can't go wrong with the M&P line. The width of the M&P series is a little more than the G17, but the grip and other areas are smaller, and S&W customer service on their own models is excellent from my experience. The trigger on most M&P models is around 6.5 pounds NIB, but the design of the trigger makes the pull feel lighter than a Glock. The M&P comes NIB with much better sights than a Glock, but if you are carrying for SD I always change the sights to Ameri-Glo Night Sights regardless of what make and model I carry, and I would recommend the same to everyone else if they are able. You can pick these sights up for around $65 bucks on www.Cheaperthandirt.com , and I recommend Green/Green.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 08-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  13. #13
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I don't know about others but I have had horrible experience with Wather customer service; Smith and Wesson operates their support here in the states and they absolutely upset me over trouble I was having with a P22. If you are looking for something other than a Glock you certainly can't go wrong with the M&P line. The width of the M&P series is a little more than the G17, but the grip and other areas are smaller, and S&W customer service on their own models is excellent from my experience. The trigger on most M&P models is around 6.5 pounds NIB, but the design of the trigger makes the pull feel lighter than a Glock. The M&P comes NIB with much better sights than a Glock, but if you are carrying for SD I always change the sights to Ameri-Glo Night Sights regardless of what make and model I carry, and I would recommend the same to everyone else if they are able. You can pick these sights up for around $65 bucks on www.Cheaperthandirt.com , and I recommend Green/Green.
    We don't talk about the Umarex P22
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  14. #14
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    We don't talk about the Umarex P22
    Umarex owns Walther. If I were Walther I would not put my company name on a firearm that is almost useless unelss you enjoy racking the slide after every round.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  15. #15
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Umarex owns Walther. If I were Walther I would not put my company name on a firearm that is almost useless unelss you enjoy racking the slide after every round.
    Close, but no cigar. Both are owned by the PW Group. I'm assuming the PW Group has Walther put their name on Umarex's guns beause if most people saw the name of an air gun company on the slide they wouldn't buy it.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  16. #16
    Regular Member ZXguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Comm View Post
    Welcome!
    You will be amazed at the information that is on this forum. Lots of people who are on here fight for the freedom we now have to OC. Take the time to read the laws that are posted, and know them by heart. If you don't have one, I suggest you get a pocket recorder, and carry it with you when you OC.
    Again, welcome, and stay safe!


    Thanks and yeah, I'm reading and re-reading all the laws. Though it's a lot of red tape, I actually find them a bit interesting.



    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Welcome to the forums. You are correct that Kentucky cops, especially those that encounter OC, are better informed than other LEOs.

    Like Comm said, and what I just quoted, carry a recorder. He suggested to carry it when you OC, as you should, but I would suggest having it on your persons at all times. Being a firearms owner and carrier your rights will be questioned more than most. I would also suggest carrying a type of camera, this is especially easy if you combine all these into a smart phone.

    You need to understand when you are required by law to show ID and what an officer is allowed to do and when. Basically, you're not required to show ID unless you are driving (CDWL if you are CCing). If an officer demands ID for OCing (to see if you are not a felon) then that is up to you whether you comply with this demand. Many on here, like I, would suggest not to show ID if you are not required to by law. What if, if you are below the age of 21, the officer does not know you can legally carry at the age of 18? What if there is a warrant out on somebody with a similar name to you? In my past I found a James Isaac in Carr Creek Kentucky. So that is not that uncommon.

    For job reasons, I actually already usually carry cameras and/or vid recorders most everywhere I go. Certainly I don't have any interest in being the next YouTube guy-vs-cop sensation. I generally just like to go about my own business and don't like to draw attention or stir up trouble. I doubt I will do much OC. As others have said a million times, OC kinda reduces the element of surprise.

    It's funny that you mention misidentification. A couple of years ago, I loaned my car to a friend (who speaks English as a second language). He only made it down the road about two miles when he was pulled over by an officer. Through a bit of confusion, he was carted off to jail for supposedly not properly identifying himself. As it turns out, the DMV or County Clerk made a mistake on registering my SSN with the car license plate number months earlier. When they ran the plate on my car, they got the name of a guy with a suspended license. When they asked my friend, in the english-confusion, he was trying to tell them it was my car (his language skills are ok, but somewhat limited when stressed). It all washed out well in the end, but small clerical errors can indeed create big problems.




    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Welcome to our happy forum, hun~ please enjoy a free hug, and a basket of muffins~ *gives both *

    Oh, for your next pistol, I would suggest the Taurus PT100 40SW stainless~ Or a Hi-point... You can never go wrong with a pistol that can be all but destroyed, and still fire just as well as a Glock, plus it serves well as a brick, paperweight, something to put under your chair's leg to keep it level!

    Hugs and muffins welcome...I love both (probably too much lol)



    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I would recommend the Glock 20, 21, 22, 23, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35. HAHA. I'm not fond of the models in 9mm or .45 GAP (this is only because I don't like the calibers), but the others are excellent. I will not carry anything but a Glock as my primary unless it is on a very rare occassion where I want to OC something "pretty" for show. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the wealth of knowledge you will receive from hanging around, reading, and asking questions.

    If you would like to look over and print out the KRS that pertain to firearms the chapters are 237 and 527. There is also some important statutes in other chapters such as KRS 65.870, 244.125 and 447.154. The statutes can be found here: http://lrc.ky.gov/krs/titles.htm
    I only wanted to start with 9mm because I wanted something all-purpose, simple, relatively affordable, and relatively affordable to shoot (and practice). I'm hoping to continue training on this one piece until I'm VERY proficient and then look to learn others. Thanks for that link, btw. I'd been there before, but even tonight, after you posted it, I went back and was re-reading to clarify some points that came up today in a discussion with family. Though until recently, I had never really read up on gun law, I had assumed that more firearm-experienced members of my family (and even friends) would have had a good understanding of the law -- but I'm finding that they're very unfamiliar with the current laws. For example, one family member today was trying to tell me that OC is off-limits in hospitals *because* they have to abide by federal guidelines I think I'm realizing just how much misinformation is out there in the public medium.

    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I don't know about others but I have had horrible experience with Wather customer service; Smith and Wesson operates their support here in the states and they absolutely upset me over trouble I was having with a P22. If you are looking for something other than a Glock you certainly can't go wrong with the M&P line. The width of the M&P series is a little more than the G17, but the grip and other areas are smaller, and S&W customer service on their own models is excellent from my experience. The trigger on most M&P models is around 6.5 pounds NIB, but the design of the trigger makes the pull feel lighter than a Glock. The M&P comes NIB with much better sights than a Glock, but if you are carrying for SD I always change the sights to Ameri-Glo Night Sights regardless of what make and model I carry, and I would recommend the same to everyone else if they are able. You can pick these sights up for around $65 bucks on www.Cheaperthandirt.com , and I recommend Green/Green.
    I really considered the M&P....I liked 'em alot. They were my next choice after glock and springfield (mainly just due to how it felt in hand). In the end, I had to just pick something so I could get a start. Oh and yeah, the Ameri-Glos are nice. I definitely want to eventually mod the glock with some better sights in the future, but I've already spent too much on the gun, lots and lots of ammo, many visits to the rage (2-3 times per week so far), CCDW class, etc. Petty cash is gone for a bit

  17. #17
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXguy View Post
    I doubt I will do much OC. As others have said a million times, OC kinda reduces the element of surprise.
    Wut?

    Surprise!!! You now have a gun in your face with a demand for you wallet. Now what? Go for you gun? I can see how the element of surprise helped. Now you lost wallet and anything else he/she finds on your persons he/she wants, maybe even your concealed weapon.

    Remember, most state's law, including Kentucky's, only allows the use of deadly physical force when you are in danger. After the perp break contacts (turns to go) it is then illegal to use deadly force from that point.

    The law abiding citizen is already handicapped compared to the criminal. We have to wait until threatening behavior starts before we are legally allowed to point a gun at someone. Just because a shady figure is walking towards in down a dark street does not give you right to draw.

    The best way to protect yourself from crime is to prevent in from ever happening.

    - Try to avoid any situation that might put you in danger
    - Try to disengage yourself from the situation if you feel threatened, only if it is safe to do so.

    The easiest way to do this is to appear as a "hardened" target. Notice how few people actually rob an armored car, Fort Knox, ect. Ever ask yourself why? Because they are hard to successfully rob. There are too many people walking around our streets (including lexington) that have no defense for someone to be risking their life attacking a man they know is carrying a firearm.

    Though I have only been on this forum for a limited amount of time I have only found one (1) person who was attacked for his firearm while OCing. Many of us that OC regularly have never been attacked, those that have are usually home intruders.


    Pros of concealed carry
    -- Firearm with you
    -- Less scrutiny from the general public

    Cons of concealed carry
    -- Drawing
    -- Usual lack of fire power (power; capacity)
    -- Comfort; You have to purchase a superior holster just to reach the level of comfort with OC

    Pros of OC
    -- Firearm with you
    -- Ease of draw
    -- Usually more fire power
    -- Comfort
    -- Draws attention to your firearm and rights

    Cons of OC
    -- Draws attention
    -- Scrutiny of general public
    -- Increased police harassment


    It is hard impossible to get unbiased opinions from humans, but the opinions are less bias with less bias people. The CC-only group make up a lot of myths about the OC group. Not so much the other way around because we usually do both.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  18. #18
    Regular Member ZXguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Wut?

    Surprise!!! You now have a gun in your face with a demand for you wallet. Now what? Go for you gun? I can see how the element of surprise helped. Now you lost wallet and anything else he/she finds on your persons he/she wants, maybe even your concealed weapon.
    You're right....but so is everyone else
    There's always going to be a situation where one method is going to be better than another method. As for me, I'd prefer to use one method sometimes and another method on other occasions based on need and circumstances. The important thing is to have the freedom to do both as desired.

  19. #19
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXguy View Post
    The important thing is to have the freedom to do both as desired.
    That is the truth. Hurray for our commonwealth, and the men and women who protect our rights!!!
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  20. #20
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039

    What a "Noob" is

    II. Defining 'Noob'
    Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.


    Just giving you a hard time....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  21. #21
    Regular Member ZXguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    II. Defining 'Noob'
    Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.


    Just giving you a hard time....
    lol...I'm sure both have applied to me at one point or another

    Generally, I'm overly-willing to learn, though.

  22. #22
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXguy View Post
    lol...I'm sure both have applied to me at one point or another

    Generally, I'm overly-willing to learn, though.
    Me too..... Welcome to the forum. You have came to a great place to learn. Forum's kinda dead tonight but at times they are hopping with great info...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  23. #23
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    Close, but no cigar. Both are owned by the PW Group. I'm assuming the PW Group has Walther put their name on Umarex's guns beause if most people saw the name of an air gun company on the slide they wouldn't buy it.
    Yes the PW group does own Umarex and Umarex owns Walther, therefore the PW group does own both. Read the PW group's website to get a little more detail. It seems that PW is just a parent company, and they merged Umarex with Walther, or I guess it would be Walther with Umarex. Either way, the p22 is junk, and it has Walther's name on its slide.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 08-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  24. #24
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXguy View Post
    Heya -- new here. I just spent the last hour or so hungrily reading as many threads as I could. This forum is awesome...so much really good information. It's exactly what I've been looking for. I especially liked the information in the forum Sticky...like the pamphlets. The info clarified a number of questions. I'm also really impressed with the level of activity here.

    I picked up my first handgun a few weeks ago and am trying to learn as much as I can about guns, the law, etc. There's a lot to digest, but I'm getting there and having some fun with it.

    I did take my CCDW already and am awaiting my papers and am doing a lot of range work in the meantime. I haven't OC much because I'm not yet totally comfortable and confident, but I am working that way. Mostly the only OC I've done has been while hiking or otherwise just out in the country. I think I'll be much more comfortable with concealed so I look forward to getting it all completed.

    Anyway...just wanting to say hi and that I think I'm gonna be addicted to this forum.
    Welcome aboard, ZVGuy! :-)
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •