• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on moped/scooter

mrharris

I use a moped to get around the city from time to time but i try not to carry because iam not sure if i can holster my gun like if i was walking around or do i have to take it out of my holster like if i was in my car does anyone have answer to this?
Part 2 of my question in NLV can i have my gun in my car loaded with one in chamber?

jdholmes

A officer from nlvpd

I assume that is response to my original question of who told you to disarm in your car?

I removed that because I couldn't remember for sure but I have recollection of folks talking about that on here. If recollection serves right - you do not have to unholster in your vehicle. I could be wrong.

Piece of advise though - do not take a metro cops advise on what is legal and what is not. They usually are wrong.

usmcmustang

I use a moped to get around the city from time to time but i try not to carry because iam not sure if i can holster my gun like if i was walking around or do i have to take it out of my holster like if i was in my car does anyone have answer to this?
Part 2 of my question in NLV can i have my gun in my car loaded with one in chamber?

Kinda jumbled up question(s), but...

Take a look at my avatar... you'll see me on my motorcycle with my 1911 holstered on my right hip. You on your scooter are "free" to do the same. It's OC, no matter how you choose to "motorvate."

Now, NLV is a "queer" bird. They have a city ordinance that prohibits "dangerous and/or deadly weapons" in/on a vehicle... meaning "in" your car or "on" your motorcycle/scooter. That ordinance is and is not enforced and I'm not sure if there has ever been a conviction where an accused has taken it to court. Whether or not one who is OCing is "subject" to that ordinance is very much in question/doubt... but that doesn't mean some cowboy NLV cop, seeing you on your scooter with a firearm on your hip, won't pull you over and submit you to the 3rd degree. And, I'm almost sure that if you are stopped while driving your car in NLV for some traffic violation and they casually observe your firearm "in (your) car loaded with one in the chamber," or you give them consent to search and they find it, you are gonna be charged with a violation of the city ordinance. To be just a bit "safer," just OC while in your car; however, that may or may not be "OK" with NLVPD... it's a crap shoot at this time.

Frantic84

Kinda jumbled up question(s), but...

Take a look at my avatar... you'll see me on my motorcycle with my 1911 holstered on my right hip. You on your scooter are "free" to do the same. It's OC, no matter how you choose to "motorvate."

Now, NLV is a "queer" bird. They have a city ordinance that prohibits "dangerous and/or deadly weapons" in/on a vehicle... meaning "in" your car or "on" your motorcycle/scooter. That ordinance is and is not enforced and I'm not sure if there has ever been a conviction where an accused has taken it to court. Whether or not one who is OCing is "subject" to that ordinance is very much in question/doubt... but that doesn't mean some cowboy NLV cop, seeing you on your scooter with a firearm on your hip, won't pull you over and submit you to the 3rd degree. And, I'm almost sure that if you are stopped while driving your car in NLV for some traffic violation and they casually observe your firearm "in (your) car loaded with one in the chamber," or you give them consent to search and they find it, you are gonna be charged with a violation of the city ordinance. To be just a bit "safer," just OC while in your car; however, that may or may not be "OK" with NLVPD... it's a crap shoot at this time.

please also be aware that ordinance is in violation of state law and any conviction would be overturned in the higher appeals court. . . that is a money game though.

p.s. I plan on getting my trike during the tax season, we could go for a ride. . . there is also a local moped/scooter club. but i don't know how they feel about guns yet. http://scooter-club.meetup.com/cities/us/nv/las_vegas/

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I am up for a ride through NLV on a bike, and know of others that can join, I also have had corrospondance with Tim Bedwell, from NLV PD public info Dept. we can invite him to join us.

Merlin

The important thing to know about NLV is this: The law is definitely on your side. Preemption at the state level overrides the NLV ordinances.

BUT that doesn't mean they won't hassle you. Carry the trifold, and be prepared to cite the state preemption statute.

I ride my MC in NLV all the time, while OC, and have had no trouble. In fact, I rode it to my CERT class, which was overseen by a NLV Sergeant. He knew that i was carrying, and only hassled me about OC inside the fire department (public) building (which is lawful under 202.3673).

Never once had a problem on my MC. I get a lot of thumbs up though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2