• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Willow Lake Moved to My new place in Browns Point for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeak

I was going to let the thread die out but I feel that some things need to be said.
First off, my comments are not directed to any one but as a group. Some things may not be facts but my personal observation.
I was very impressed the first time I went to Willow Lake. Especially the fact that Jim put out a few THOUSAND dollars to put it on. A lot of the food was donated but many other thinks were not. A few hung around and helped clean and others needed to go; no problem with that. Then a few pissed, moaned, groaned, and pouted as to how the function was put on, as it was in progress and afterword. All this is in the past.
Now this year was different. You may want to think about a few thinks that go on behind the scenes.
Who is putting this on?
Where will it be held?
How many will the facility acommodate?
Date & time?
Food, how much?
There is more that could be said, but I think you get the idea.
Thanks for the good time, Jim. My family and I enjoyed ourselves!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Interesting The First Annual Restricted Open Carry Event, a new trend Deros?

While I can understand the effort, cost, prizes and lack of acknowledgement can be a discouragement, I too would have liked to see this stay a publicly invited event. I also understand this was held at his house, so privacy may have been a factor here as well.

With that said, that does not mean one could not hold there own BBQ. Deros has done quite a bit for this community, so I am not going to get all hurt about not being invited to a private event. I have held private events myself. Its just how it is. Personally I may not have associated this event with the previous Willows Lake BBQ due to the public confusion, but that's just me.

The part that confused me mainly was the opening sentence.
Thank you all for coming to this years Open Carry BB-Q at my house.
This actually made me think I missed a post somewhere, the way it was addressed to 'you all' made me believe 'you all' were invited. Hints the confusion in my original post. Easily seen to be a misunderstanding of the intended audience.

I am glad everyone that did go had a good time and I hope to see you all at a future event.

Jeff Hayes

It started out being open to the public but appears to have gone to personal invite only.

Always has been by personal invite, never was open to the public. Everyone that was on OCDO or that lived at Willow Lake was invited but not the general public.

Anyone is welcome to have an OC event that is open to the public all you have to do is pay for it, provide the place, make all the arrangement's, set up, clean up and listen to the complaints.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Always has been by personal invite, never was open to the public. Everyone that was on OCDO or that lived at Willow Lake was invited but not the general public.

Anyone is welcome to have an OC event that is open to the public all you have to do is pay for it, provide the place, make all the arrangement's, set up, clean up and listen to the complaints.

Excuse me are we splitting hairs here? From the previous events if I remember correctly there were people showed up that were not members of OCDO or directly invited by the few who were behind in setting it up.

The difference this time there was no open invitation for OCDO even though I likely would not have attended as to the travel and other commitments I had at this time. Some do not know or understand when people have heart conditions that traveling like this distance and back and spending 4 or 5 hours at an event can put some into the hospital with angina and I am sure Deros and others can attest to.

Personally I had open heart at the age of 38 was forced into retirement at the age of 48 after my 3rd heart attack and have had two since with a few stents into a graph with 2 others being 100% occluded, so when it comes down to planning and setting up such events can and is demanding thus why I have not setup any here in Yakima.

I do know that with any event there will be issues and complaints unfortunately though I feel there are many in the area who would have at minimum to have been included regardless if they attended or not.
Personally I and I imagine the majority always seen this as an event to invite one and all in promoting open carry and was branded as such but now has evolved into a Private BBQ.

The thread "Willow Lake Moved to My new place in Browns Point for 2012" was poorly worded as most know the Open Carry Event at Willow Lake Apartments and promoted as Willow Lake Open Carry Event was changed and moved into a private event.
I feel if it was posted as a BBQ at Deros's no one would have thought twice about it but that isn't the case.

If this is what the events are about, virtually separating members of OCDO then it would not be worth my time when I am in the area.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Well said. Some will never understand.

There is a BBQ in Vancouver next weekend. Everyone is welcome. These events take great time and energy to put together, especially doing so from 165 miles away.

I await others to put on, coordinate, pay for and otherwise take responsibility for their own events. Some have, kudos to the B'ham crew, Deros, the Spokane crew and the S Sound crew....

Boomboy007

If I may inject a word....

Indeed, there ARE those who hold Open Carry events that are open to all on the forum, as well as the public at large. In fact, I attended an excellent one this July. If I might remind you:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ty-Family-OC-Picnic-Bastille-Day-14-JULY-2012

MSG Laigaie did an absolutely OUTSTANDING job in hosting and directing this event, not to mention the lion's share of labor and a significant portion of the expense. Our other local forum members also volunteered time and materials for the event. Not only was it open to everyone here, but we fed quite a large number of friendly strangers who happened to be at the park during our event. We had local forum members, out-of-town forum members, and even a few lurkers who had heard about the event from the thread. Additionally, we had the Bellingham PD watch from afar (they don't like OC), and we even fed a couple of the Whatcom County sheriffs deputies who were on lake patrol (Sheriff is a proponent of open carry).

After the great time we all had, I would hazard a guess that next year might see a return of the barbecue. We will just have to talk Sarge into a repeat. ;)

Trigger Dr

Has anyone inquired of Deros72 the reason this was held in this fashion? I doubt it. I know why as I was told why. I will not share that as it needs come from the source, "IF" he feels it necessary to explain.
I, for one am happy it was done in this fashion.

Jeff Hayes

Has anyone inquired of Deros72 the reason this was held in this fashion? I doubt it. I know why as I was told why. I will not share that as it needs come from the source, "IF" he feels it necessary to explain.

+1

sudden valley gunner

+1 I missed it being out of town. And would say something similar.

Private property private rules. Jim can have his event anyway he wishes.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
:rolleyes: Yep you got my point. And others did too.

--Personal attack deleted by moderator--

The get together you are referring to, it was not hidden, nor secret and to my knowledge no one was excluded. It was held at a Starbucks which correct me if I am wrong anyone and everyone is invited to on a weekly basis.

The issue I brought about in this thread was one that went from open to everyone which everyone I am sure looked forward to, to one that was in a private party but maintained the events name.

If Deros would have called it something like "BBQ at Bernie's" it would not have lifted a brow and likely got a chuckle out of it.

tumblr_m99yiuwXXI1qb3mmfo1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dadada

Sometimes I wonder if you were just born that way or had to practice to be so dense???

The get together you are referring to, it was not hidden, nor secret and to my knowledge no one was excluded. It was held at a Starbucks which correct me if I am wrong anyone and everyone is invited to on a weekly basis.

The issue I brought about in this thread was one that went from open to everyone which everyone I am sure looked forward to, to one that was in a private party but maintained the events name.

If Deros would have called it something like "BBQ at Bernie's" it would not have lifted a brow and likely got a chuckle out of it.

View attachment 9180

Plus the fact that once the private event was over, it THEN became public. If it was a private event, then why post the results in public? I've had many private BBQ's at my home since I've been reading OCDO. Never once have I thought to post pics of it on here. This thread kind of smacks of middle school girl click'ishness. I couldn't care less if I was invited, as I most likely would have never attended. Bluetooths are like fannypacks, to be avoided!:D I just find it a little silly that it was posted afterwards, as an attempt to be a "look at us, we're the cool kids that were at the cool party! Those that didn't get invited are loosers".

Last edited:

Ajetpilot

Plus the fact that once the private event was over, it THEN became public. If it was a private event, then why post the results in public? I've had many private BBQ's at my home since I've been reading OCDO. Never once have I thought to post pics of it on here. This thread kind of smacks of middle school girl click'ishness. I couldn't care less if I was invited, as I most likely would have never attended. Bluetooths are like fannypacks, to be avoided!:D I just find it a little silly that it was posted afterwards, as an attempt to be a "look at us, we're the cool kids that were at the cool party! Those that didn't get invited are loosers".

TADA:exclaim: No more calls, we have a winner. I was waiting for someone to make this post. Perfectly stated!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

TADA:exclaim: No more calls, we have a winner. I was waiting for someone to make this post. Perfectly stated!

+1000

sudden valley gunner

Sometimes I wonder if you were just born that way or had to practice to be so dense???

View attachment 9180

Amusing, but why so defensive?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.