• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Staten Island With Firearms

The Airframer

I hope someone can answer this for me. I have a good buddy at work that is a Virginia resident currently and plans to buy a few different firearms in the near future, to include pistols and a rifle. He plans to return to Staten Island (where his family resides) eventually but doesn't want to buy the guns if he can't bring them "back home".

I really want him to buy the guns, as I encourage everyone I encounter with any sense to.

What will my friend have to do in order to:

A) Legally bring them into Staten Island?

B) Legally posess them in his home/place of business?

C) Legally acquire a permit to Conceal in NY that would be honored in the Staten Island area?

- How much money per firearm will fees/licenses cost and who is to be contacted for these?

I appreciate anyone willing to answer these questions for my buddy.

hermannr

I hope someone can answer this for me. I have a good buddy at work that is a Virginia resident currently and plans to buy a few different firearms in the near future, to include pistols and a rifle. He plans to return to Staten Island (where his family resides) eventually but doesn't want to buy the guns if he can't bring them "back home".

I really want him to buy the guns, as I encourage everyone I encounter with any sense to.

What will my friend have to do in order to:

A) Legally bring them into Staten Island?

B) Legally posess them in his home/place of business?

C) Legally acquire a permit to Conceal in NY that would be honored in the Staten Island area?

- How much money per firearm will fees/licenses cost and who is to be contacted for these?

I appreciate anyone willing to answer these questions for my buddy.

Best place to ask is NYFirearms forum (www.nyfirearms.com)...that said, he better be from a rich influential family (RIFs usually don't live on Staten Island.) Being part of the NYC mess, it will be very difficult and very expensive (something like $385, per registered weapon, every three years..assuming they will allow that particular weapon, mag etc...think Clintons AWB and then some) Can't possess until registered.

I don't care that his family lives there...if there was any way to stay away from NY, NJ and MA...I would. Extremely unfriendly. Wife has family in NYS (nicer than NYC but still a pain) and they were going to give us some acerage to build a house on). We did not retire in NY...taxes are too high, gun restrictions too many. I HATE NY, anyone that loves NY needs to have their head examined.

Tell him to move to PA and visit.

Last edited:

The Airframer

Best place to ask is NYFirearms forum (www.nyfirearms.com)...that said, he better be from a rich influential family (RIFs usually don't live on Staten Island.) Being part of the NYC mess, it will be very difficult and very expensive (something like $385, per registered weapon, every three years..assuming they will allow that particular weapon, mag etc...think Clintons AWB and then some) Can't possess until registered.

I don't care that his family lives there...if there was any way to stay away from NY, NJ and MA...I would. Extremely unfriendly. Wife has family in NYS (nicer than NYC but still a pain) and they were going to give us some acerage to build a house on). We did not retire in NY...taxes are too high, gun restrictions too many. I HATE NY, anyone that loves NY needs to have their head examined.

Tell him to move to PA and visit.

I appreciate the advice and i will pass it on!

I've never been to NY but I've never heard anything good about it either--and this keeps me away. I enjoy my freedom far too much to hand it over.

NYMike

The answer to your question.

Very simply, in NYC he will need a rifle shotgun permit as well as a handgun license. He cannot bring the guns into the city until he Haworth of these, so they will need to remain with someone out of state or hand them over to the NYPD for safekeeping( not!) until the permits come through.
The handgun permit will not be a concealed carry permit but only a residence premises permit, unless he can show extraordinary need for a business carry use. The handgun permit is $340 for 3 years plus $95 fingerprints fee, the long gun permit is $170/3 years plus the same fingerprints fee. Unless he plans on living there for a long time it's probably not worth the time and energy, as they make ou jump thru hoops. When I lived there up until last year I had mine. It took about 10 visits combined to get the permits over 8 months total and required extended interviews, forms, notarized letters and documentation from employment, landlords or roommates, etc... I now live in NV where I can carry when and where I choose, open or concealed. Freedom rocks!