• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Valley State University

Raggs

Looks like GVSU is not OC or CC friendly at all. Not that I am overly surprised. What do you think?

from http://www.gvsu.edu/cms3/assets/9D2...B65/19273_gvsu_student_code_web_june_2012.pdf
"Section 215.00: FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES OR WEAPONS.
Possession or use of firearms, firecrackers, explosives, toxic or dangerous chemicals; other lethal weapons, equipment, chemicals or materi- als; or anything that can be construed as a weapon that operates based on spring, gas or air is not permitted on University property or in University housing at any time. Questions about weapons should be directed to the Director of Public Safety."

and

"No part of any appropriation made by this act may be used for the payment of any salaries, wages or fees to any trustees, administrators, faculty member or other employee or for the education of a student, either full or part-time, who shall possess or permit to be possessed, without being a peace officer employed by an institution of higher education, any firearm, not registered with the institution, or other dangerous weapon in any university, college or institution of higher education, including all the buildings and ground under their jurisdiction."

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Thank God I'm not a student there; that would be annoying to have your human rights ground under their boot heel. I though institutions of higher learning were more enlightened than that?

I can carry, but the people who have legitimate business there cannot....

TheQ

I have yet to find a community college or public university in the state that doesn't have an ordinance relating to firearms.

SpringerXDacp

Many colleges/universities offer online courses for undergrads and grads if not being able to carry while on campus is an issue. Just a thought.

Raggs

Really, what are you suggesting?

Many colleges/universities offer online courses for undergrads and grads if not being able to carry while on campus is an issue. Just a thought.

Sadly I am down to three classes, two are only offered on campus.

This is why they make those annoying little guns.

And to stainless1911 it sounds like you are suggesting something illegal. I have my CPL and no criminal record, Both of these things I kinda like.

Raggs

I think he appears to be suggesting you carry a tiny gun regardless of the ordinance.

Ex: breaking the law

I gathered that, I am not going to follow the suggestion however. Most open carriers I have found to be law abiding citizens. As in any group there are those who are different though.

SpringerXDacp

And to stainless1911 it sounds like you are suggesting something illegal. I have my CPL and no criminal record, Both of these things I kinda like.

I don't have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out but I too enjoy having both. Good luck with your remaining classes Raggs.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Perhaps he is suggesting that a person should Open Carry a smaller gun for classrooms and dorms. This would be legal in regards to state law but would, unfortunately violate campus rules. One could argue whether such action would be "illegal".

Raggs

Perhaps he is suggesting that a person should Open Carry a smaller gun for classrooms and dorms. This would be legal in regards to state law but would, unfortunately violate campus rules. One could argue whether such action would be "illegal".

No, i suspect theQ was right and Stainless was suggesting something less than legal, going by past posts.

TheQ

I think it was plain to see that he was advocating someone carry a gun weather open or concealed. In the presence of a ordinance by a university or community college, that would clearly be illegal, yes?

stainless1911

Banned

Better than helping an active shooter kill unarmed people.

Laws do not change until they are challenged.

You sould like a police officer. Jumping to conclusions and relying a persons past for RAS.

lmfao

Last edited:

detroit_fan

Better than helping an active shooter kill unarmed people.

Laws do not change until they are challenged.

you know that media and others read these forums and you are going around suggesting people do illegal stuff like you did in this thread? this is not he image we want to portray to anyone reading this forum, it makes us all look bad. you know i never "bash" you or anything, but you have got to stop suggesting people do illegal things just because you don't agree with the law.

as oc'ers we want people to understand that we are law abiding citizens, we have a lot more credibility that way.

stainless1911

Banned
I do understand that the media reads this. Maybe they haven't fully considered that those who ban guns, those who make guns look bad, and those who are in agreement with their prohibition are in fact partially responsible for the deaths caused by the active shooters that their words and ACTIONS have been supporting. As long as we are politically correct, and follow the laws like a bunch of little ducklings, we have already lost.

It is better to break some college ordinance born of ignorance and emotion than to die, unarmed with your gun in a "safe" .

Raggs

I do understand that the media reads this. Maybe they haven't fully considered that those who ban guns, those who make guns look bad, and those who are in agreement with their prohibition are in fact partially responsible for the deaths caused by the active shooters that their words and ACTIONS have been supporting. As long as we are politically correct, and follow the laws like a bunch of little ducklings, we have already lost.

It is better to break some college ordinance born of ignorance and emotion than to die, unarmed with your gun in a "safe" .

I am certain that you would be first in line to help me financially take on this battle right?