• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

wa must issue in 30 days...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Does anybody know if you are required to apply for your CPL in the county that you reside? I live in Pierce county but I will be in Kitsap county the beginning of september and I would like to apply there since it seems that the silverdale sheriff's office has a very short waiting period for getting your CPL.

-_- seems that living in pierce county, I am required to apply at the LESA office in down town tacoma... absolutely rediculous...

If you want to apply in Kitsap then just wait until the first of September when you move their, obtain something with your new address as an electric bill, phone, rent receipt or such and go apply.

Grim_Night

If you want to apply in Kitsap then just wait until the first of September when you move their, obtain something with your new address as an electric bill, phone, rent receipt or such and go apply.

No... I have business in port orchard on the 7th... I figured I might as well apply for my CPL in kitsap county while I'm there since it seems that it's possible to be able to walk out with my CPL in hand same day that I apply. But it seems that since I live in pierce county, I have to apply in pierce county... and based on this...

If you live… ~~> Apply at…
In an unincorporated area of a county in Washington State ~~> Your county sheriff’s office
In an incorporated city or town in Washington State ~~> The police department in your city or town or Your county sheriff’s office
Outside of Washington State (not a Washington resident) ~~> Any local law enforcement agency in Washington

I *should* be able to apply at any sheriff's office in my county but pierce forces you to go to the LESA office in downtown tacoma only

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No... I have business in port orchard on the 7th... I figured I might as well apply for my CPL in kitsap county while I'm there since it seems that it's possible to be able to walk out with my CPL in hand same day that I apply. But it seems that since I live in pierce county, I have to apply in pierce county... and based on this...

In an unincorporated area of a county in Washington State ~~> Your county sheriff’s office
In an incorporated city or town in Washington State ~~> The police department in your city or town or Your county sheriff’s office
Outside of Washington State (not a Washington resident) ~~> Any local law enforcement agency in Washington

I *should* be able to apply at any sheriff's office in my county but pierce forces you to go to the LESA office in downtown tacoma only

You live in Tacoma and are not planning to move then yes you get to apply at the LESA office, I have no idea why you thought you could apply in another county then the one you live in?
I am aware also that some counties will not take the application if you live within the city limits but by the time you end up fighting that your permit would have been with you for months already.
If you want to fight it with Pierce County then by all means.

RCW 9.41.070 (13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

hermannr

You live in Tacoma and are not planning to move then yes you get to apply at the LESA office, I have no idea why you thought you could apply in another county then the one you live in?
I am aware also that some counties will not take the application if you live within the city limits but by the time you end up fighting that your permit would have been with you for months already.

You also have things like here in Okanogan Co, all of the towns will tell you to apply at the Sheriff's department. No-one else wants to invest in the electronic fingerprint scanners.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Yes, that is correct, I do have the ability to take the easy way and go see Sherrif Elfo. I know the paper will take thirty days with bellingham, that is OK because it is the law. BUT. I must go to the city because the difficulty level is higher and I just enjoy the bloody hell out of that.

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.
(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

Read post #19, just three posts before yours. Yes, you must apply in the county of your residence unless you are active duty military.

Why would you assume that every person in the state of Washington should know that?

Oh I don't know why, maybe because it was posted earlier in this thread!

kparker

I don't see what the problem here is. The actual RCW doesn't say "any sheriff's office", it says

It just so happens that Pierce County and City of Tacoma share the same office for accepting such applications.

heresolong

It will be there day 30...

Unless, of course, it isn't. I got my last renewal on day 33 because the lady who does them was out sick on day 30 and 31 and 32 were a weekend. I went in on day 29, was told it would be ready the next day, she wasn't there. No recourse at all, you just get it late. It was a bit annoying since I had waited too long to reapply and couldn't carry until they reissued it. That part was my fault but the blatant violation of state law was theirs.

Grim_Night

no, I do not live in tacoma, I live in pierce county. I live in an unincorperated section and by all rights, I should be able to go to the local sheriff's office but NONE of the sheriff's offices will allow you to apply for your CPL there. EVERYBODY in pierce county whether they live in tacoma or not is forced to go to the downtown tacoma LESA office to apply for their CPL, no ifs ands or buts about it. My problem is that if you go to the LESA office, you have to get there first thing in the morning or you're gonna end up waiting for a very long time just to get up to the counter. It wasn't so bad when LESA was inside the courthouse where they made you go through the security checks just to get in but now, anybody can just walk in all willy nilly... last time I was down there, there were some really creepy lookin people sittin around... the kind of people you can tell right off the bat that you really dont wanna sit next to them for the next hour and a half or longer...

sudden valley gunner

Unless, of course, it isn't. I got my last renewal on day 33 because the lady who does them was out sick on day 30 and 31 and 32 were a weekend. I went in on day 29, was told it would be ready the next day, she wasn't there. No recourse at all, you just get it late. It was a bit annoying since I had waited too long to reapply and couldn't carry until they reissued it. That part was my fault but the blatant violation of state law was theirs.

Mine came on day 30. They also make you fill out a back ground check to get weapon back if it is ever taken into custody.

I hope the younger woman takes over soon she seems much more on the ball than the older heavier set one. (and more friendly)

Contrarian

amlevin: Some "Civil Servants" just do their jobs and others go out of their way to be "a-holes" just to make a statement on their views. It's kind of a peek into what it was like here in WA said:
I live in Seattle and go downtown to renew...twice now when you hand in the form and they type it up and return it to 'check it for errors' I have found amazingly wrong info on them: bad address, wrong date of birth [by three years] and such.
Be careful and read it carefully.

kparker

Grim_Night,

Your statement "by all rights, I should be able to go to the local sheriff's office" is based on what you wish were true (and I don't really disagree with you), NOT what the RCW actually says. RCW 9.41.070 (13) says: A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:...(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area...

Notice it doesn't say "to any sheriff's office", it says "to the county". And like it or not, LESA is the Pierce County Sheriff as far as criminal records, CPL issuance, dispatch, and probably a few other things too that I no longer remember.

Grim_Night

Grim_Night,

Your statement "by all rights, I should be able to go to the local sheriff's office" is based on what you wish were true (and I don't really disagree with you), NOT what the RCW actually says. RCW 9.41.070 (13) says: A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:...(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area...

Notice it doesn't say "to any sheriff's office", it says "to the county". And like it or not, LESA is the Pierce County Sheriff as far as criminal records, CPL issuance, dispatch, and probably a few other things too that I no longer remember.

you may want to reread... http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.html <~ that specifically says that you can apply at the local sheriff's office in the county that you live... if I live with a sheriff's office 2 blocks from my home in pierce county, I still have to go to the LESA office in downtown tacoma... Sheriff's office at 40407 Eatonville Cutoff Road East Eatonville, WA 98328... can't apply there... have to go to downtown tacoma... Office at 6006 133rd Street Northwest Gig Harbor, WA 98332... can't apply there, have to go to downtown tacoma... but ONLY in pierce county... go to kitsap county and guess what... you can go to the silverdale sheriff's office or wherever you want to go that is local.

Last edited:

standup

It seems that according to bellingham police that they took their sweet time with the thirty days.

Application date 7/31

Issue date 8/30

I didn't get it in the mail until 9/4....

Was a holiday after all. All month long.

Plus these permits are big, bigger than an iPhone, larger than a hundred note, sure doesn't fit in a wallet.

How do you all carry this? In the waist band? Or an extra holster?

hermannr

It seems that according to bellingham police that they took their sweet time with the thirty days.

Application date 7/31

Issue date 8/30

I didn't get it in the mail until 9/4....

Was a holiday after all. All month long.

Plus these permits are big, bigger than an iPhone, larger than a hundred note, sure doesn't fit in a wallet.

How do you all carry this? In the waist band? Or an extra holster?

Fold it in half and put it behind your DL.

HotLead

And laminate it after you fold it.

I feel sorry for the posters here and at the same time would like to say thank you very much to the Kitsap county sheriffs’ people; especially the ladies in the Silverdale satellite office. I went in there today and in 15 minutes I had a signed folded and laminated CPL renewal in hand and walked out the door. I am glad that I live in a county that has a reasonable sheriffs department.

bmg50cal

Island County sucks... the sheriff's office lady was a real B**** to me even though I was always courteous, kind and respectful.

They took 35 days to hand me mine. I walked in on the 31st day and was told to leave. They mailed me a notice the next day that it was complete, that was a Friday I got the notice on Saturday. They could have mailed it, but no...

:cuss:

Last edited:

oneeyeross

In Lewis County, they type your renewal while you wait....takes a few minutes for the background check, but that is the longest part....very nice people in the Sheriffs Office in Chehalis..