Thread: Columbus Zoo

Activist Member

Columbus Zoo

I am visiting Columbus Zoo next weekend and I was curious if I will be able to CCarry? I know Ohio has preemption, and I believe the Columbus Zoo is owned by the city. I have looked over their website and I didn't notice anything that prohibited firearms so I am taking that as a good sign. So, does anyone know whether carry is allowed or not? Thank you in advance for the help, it would really be awful if I had to walk around all day unarmed.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

WEAPONS POLICY - The Columbus Zoo, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and the Wilds are all No Weapon facilities. No firearms, knives, or other weapons are permitted on Zoo property.
    Taken from http://www.columbuszoo.org/about_us/...s/default.aspx
    I'm not sure if the zoo is city property or not. I know that some parks are part of the Ohio Historic Society and they ban firearms.

Activist Member
    I looked all over their website for that information. Guess I didn't look very far. Does anyone know if they have metal detectors?

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

I have called the the historical society about a gun sign they posted at Cedar Bogg, off 68 north in Urbana Ohio This is an outside park that has only one building. They posted a sign at the entrance of the outside park area. This is illegal. I called a person who handles the security and law pertaining to the historical society and they are looking into this situation because these are state parks.

Looks like a private organization.

The Columbus Zoological Park Association (the Zoo), is a nonprofit organization that conducts
    captive breeding of endangered and threatened species, provides conservation education programs
    to the community, supports global conservation programs, and offers affordable family recreation
    opportunities.
    http://www.columbuszoo.org/assets/zo...ssued%20FS.pdf

Activist Member
    Are there metal detectors at the entrance to the zoo? Anyone?

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RT48 View Post
    If it is a non-profit I would guess they receive large amounts of state or local government donations. What is the law in Ohio concerning such issues and preemption? Does preemption cover only government OWNED facilities, or also government funded ones, even if it is a partial funding?

Activist Member
    Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    If it is a non-profit I would guess they receive large amounts of state or local government donations. What is the law in Ohio concerning such issues and preemption? Does preemption cover only government OWNED facilities, or also government funded ones, even if it is a partial funding?
    Government owned.

I've been to Cleveland Zoo, CC'd all day. Only a couple of buildings were posted, specifically the rain forest.

As of April of this year, there were no metal detectors at the Columbus Zoo.

Someone I know well walked into the Zoo with a large mass of metal strapped to their mid-section. No bells, sirens or alarms.

Of course, if the location is posted as a CPZ, thens firearms should not be carried into such a place.

------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack7851 View Post
    I've been to Cleveland Zoo, CC'd all day. Only a couple of buildings were posted, specifically the rain forest.
    Owned by the Cleveland Metroparks. I have to say that Cleveland Metroparks has been pretty good about obeying state preemption. I have yet to hear anything indicating they have ever overstepped the boundaries of state law. Nor have I ever heard of an incident where their rangers ever hassled anyone about carrying.
    Last edited by RT48; 09-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.