• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Columbus Zoo

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I am visiting Columbus Zoo next weekend and I was curious if I will be able to CCarry? I know Ohio has preemption, and I believe the Columbus Zoo is owned by the city. I have looked over their website and I didn't notice anything that prohibited firearms so I am taking that as a good sign. So, does anyone know whether carry is allowed or not? Thank you in advance for the help, it would really be awful if I had to walk around all day unarmed.

N605TW

Activist Member
WEAPONS POLICY - The Columbus Zoo, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and the Wilds are all No Weapon facilities. No firearms, knives, or other weapons are permitted on Zoo property.

Taken from http://www.columbuszoo.org/about_us/zoo_policies/default.aspx
I'm not sure if the zoo is city property or not. I know that some parks are part of the Ohio Historic Society and they ban firearms.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I looked all over their website for that information. Guess I didn't look very far. Does anyone know if they have metal detectors?

Makarov

I have called the the historical society about a gun sign they posted at Cedar Bogg, off 68 north in Urbana Ohio This is an outside park that has only one building. They posted a sign at the entrance of the outside park area. This is illegal. I called a person who handles the security and law pertaining to the historical society and they are looking into this situation because these are state parks.

RT48

KYGlockster

Activist Member

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
If it is a non-profit I would guess they receive large amounts of state or local government donations. What is the law in Ohio concerning such issues and preemption? Does preemption cover only government OWNED facilities, or also government funded ones, even if it is a partial funding?
Government owned.

MyWifeSaidYes

As of April of this year, there were no metal detectors at the Columbus Zoo.

Someone I know well walked into the Zoo with a large mass of metal strapped to their mid-section. No bells, sirens or alarms.

Of course, if the location is posted as a CPZ, thens firearms should not be carried into such a place.

:rolleyes:

RT48

I've been to Cleveland Zoo, CC'd all day. Only a couple of buildings were posted, specifically the rain forest.

Owned by the Cleveland Metroparks. I have to say that Cleveland Metroparks has been pretty good about obeying state preemption. I have yet to hear anything indicating they have ever overstepped the boundaries of state law. Nor have I ever heard of an incident where their rangers ever hassled anyone about carrying.

Last edited: