• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something is wrong with this sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubel

I visited Hewen's Creek Park for the first time not to far from my house. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with this sign at the entrance...

ypsicarry.jpg

...Oh, I know.... "Carry out what you carry in". Well, duh, obviously I'm going to carry my gun on my way out just like I carried on my way in. Silly sign. ;)

"Ypsilanti Charter Township Code, Parks, and Recreation - Chapter 6" on the bottom of the sign that is prohibiting firearms.

Sec. 46-5. - Director authority to establish rules and regulations.

The director shall have the authority to establish rules and regulations as are necessary to maintain and preserve parks. The director shall maintain copies of such rules and regulations on file at the township clerk's office.

(Ord. No. 2004-339, ch. VI, 5-4-04)

Sec. 46-6. - Enforcement.

(a)
Law enforcement officers. Law enforcement officers, township park superintendent, director and park rangers shall have the authority to seize, confiscate and impound any substance, plant, animal, vehicle or other article, which, upon probable cause, are found to be used or possessed in violation of this chapter.
(b)
Fines and penalties. A person guilty of violating any provisions of this chapter shall be responsible for a municipal civil infraction, with a fine of not more than $500.00, together with taxable costs.

Sec. 46-61. - Possession and use of firearms; dangerous weapons; fireworks.

It shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1)
Possess within park property, fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged across, in or into any portion of the park, any gun or firearm, spear, bow and arrow, crossbow, sling shot, air or gas weapon, or any other dangerous weapon or projectile, except for purposes designated by the board in areas and at times designated by the board;
(2)
Possess, set off or attempt to set off or ignite any firecracker, fireworks, smoke bombs, rockets, black powder guns or other pyrotechnics without authorization from the director; or
(3)
Possess or carry in any park, any air gun, paint gun, bow and arrow, or any illegal weapon.
Any unauthorized or illegal weapon within a park shall be subject to seizure by a law enforcement officer.
(Ord. No. 2004-339, ch. III, § F, 5-4-04)

Sec. 42-209. - Firearms.

It shall be unlawful for any person to transport, carry, or possess a firearm while in or upon the waters of Ford Lake, the islands within Ford Lake, or any Township land abutting Ford Lake, unless said person is a law enforcement officer engaged in performing his or her lawful duties.

(Ord. No. 96-149, 4-16-96)

Sec. 42-84. - Recreational trespass.

(a)
A person shall not enter or remain upon the property of another person, other than farm property or a wooded area connected to farm property, to engage in any recreational activity or trapping on that property without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent, except as provided in subsection (d), if either of the following circumstances exist:
(1)
The property is fenced or enclosed and is maintained in such a manner as to exclude intruders.
(2)
The property is posted in a conspicuous manner against entry. The minimum letter height on the posting signs shall be one inch. Each posting sign shall be not less than 50 square inches and the signs shall be spaced to enable a person to observe not less than one sign at any point of entry upon the property.
(b)
On fenced or posted property or farm property, a fisherman wading or floating a navigable public stream may, without written or oral consent, enter upon property within the clearly defined banks of the stream or walk a route as closely proximate to the clearly defined banks as possible when necessary to avoid a natural or artificial hazard or obstruction, including, but not limited to, a dam, deep hole, fence, or other exercise of ownership by the riparian owner.
(c)
A person other than a person possessing a firearm may, unless previously prohibited in writing or orally by the property owner or his or her lessee or agent, enter on foot upon the property of another person for the sole purpose of retrieving a hunting dog. The person shall not remain on the property beyond the reasonable time necessary to retrieve the dog.

(d)
Consent to enter or remain upon the property of another person pursuant to this section may be given orally or in writing. The consent may establish conditions for entering or remaining upon that property. Unless prohibited in the written consent, a written consent may be amended or revoked orally. If the owner or his or her lessee or agent requires all persons entering or remaining upon the property to have written consent, the presence of the person on the property is prima facie evidence of unlawful entry.
(e)
As used in this section, "hunting dog" means a dog allowed to range freely to engage in or aid in hunting on the day the dog enters the property of another person.
(f)
Penalty: If a person is convicted of violating subsection (a), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and/or a fine of $1,000.00 or both.
(Ord. No. 98-194, 7-22-98)
Editor's note—
Ord. No. 98-194, adopted July 22, 1998, did not specifically amend this Code; hence, inclusion of its provisions as § 42-84 herein was at the discretion of the editor.

There's another mention of firearms in Sec. 42-60, but it's in relation to restraining orders and notices providing information about abusers, so I don't think they were wrong there.

Last edited:

TheQ

I visited Hewen's Creek Park for the first time not to far from my house. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with this sign at the entrance...

ypsicarry.jpg

...Oh, I know.... "Carry out what you carry in". Well, duh, obviously I'm going to carry my gun on my way out just like I carried on my way in. Silly sign. ;)

There's another mention of firearms in Sec. 42-60, but it's in relation to restraining orders and notices providing information about abusers, so I don't think they were wrong there.

MOC has put together a guide to help you contact your local government to get these signs/rules straightened out. Could you help out our mission by reading the guide and trying to contact them?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Anywhere a cop can carry, so should we .... cops are civilians, just like us ... except we can actually hit our targets

Now, now, let's be fair - you every try to hit a moving target with donut glaze on your hands? :p

Seriously, until you are in the fight it is easy to say you would have done better. Not saying that there is not room for improvements for all of us - even the police.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Ezerharden

Some people don't get sarcasm. Maybe he should have made a special note of it. Too many panties in a bunch on here sometimes.

If you have read some of his other posts, you would realize it probably wasn't sarcasm. Plus people being sarcastic usually use a smiley to indicate it.

backenj

If you have read some of his other posts, you would realize it probably wasn't sarcasm. Plus people being sarcastic usually use a smiley to indicate it.

"Maybe he should have made a special note of it" (sarcasm). I have read a lot of his posts, that's how I figured out it was sarcasm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.