• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC during the DNC

bc.cruiser

BTW, "no guns at a protest..." which NC statute covers protests?

wabbit

I believe that "demonstration" equates to "protest", and would then be covered by 14-277.2 if on government controlled 'public place'. So, stay off the street and out of city/county buildings. You may actually not be participating or spectating, but it will cost you to prove it.

Last edited:

carolina guy

I believe that "demonstration" equates to "protest", and would then be covered by 14-277.2 if on government controlled 'public place'. So, stay off the street and out of city/county buildings. You may actually not be participating or spectating, but it will cost you to prove it.

I think the "protest" covers "medical clinics" ie abortion clinics.

bc.cruiser

I think the "protest" covers "medical clinics" ie abortion clinics.

It does. It also is not restricted to abortion clinics.

From 14-277.2(a): ..or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon..

The bolded "or" separates health facility from the rest of the phrase; note that although we are familiar with the protests at abortion clinics, the law does not single them out. Protests can be at any private clinic. Public clinics come under the non-specific label of public place.

KBCraig

Met up with a buddy last night who is a Captain in the CMPD and asked about guns in the Special Event Zone of the 277 corridor. He said its a no go. I asked him how they could violate state pre-emption and he basically pushed it to the Feds taking jurisdiction in the area. I know, what do cops know, but if at senior levels of CMPD they are under these marching orders, it would definitely be a problem.

These guys from Houston Free Thinkers were told by DHS outside the RNC "compound", that the entire state of Florida was federal property. Along with a bunch of other BS.

http://houstonfreethinkers.com/all-...ston-free-thinkers-detained-by-dhs-at-the-rnc

carolina guy

It does. It also is not restricted to abortion clinics.

From 14-277.2(a): ..or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon..

The bolded "or" separates health facility from the rest of the phrase; note that although we are familiar with the protests at abortion clinics, the law does not single them out. Protests can be at any private clinic. Public clinics come under the non-specific label of public place.

ok

Lasjayhawk

Well...I take it they did not include firearms because of the state preemption and recent court decisions. And no "police scanners"...guess I better not take a HAM radios that can receive on those frequencies...better let the FCC know that Charlotte has jurisdiction. :)

Sounds like a call to a "hot dog" OC lunch with one of the vendors on College near Trade. :)

So let me see if I have this right. They can ignore federal law (Communication act of 1934) since it suits them, and the Feds can ignore local/state law since it suits them. :banghead:

We are one screwed up country.

carolina guy

aosailor

About 20 miles close. LOL I saw all of those police suburbans yesterday at the motel there across from the ReStore by the WalMart.

Thanks for ruining my cool factor!! lol I did have plans to go down to the DNC and "test the waters" but I had a last min business trip to Arkansas and didn't get back until Friday.. Sadly I missed it :(