Thread: Republican National Convention - RESTRICTIONS

Republican National Convention - RESTRICTIONS

Came across a story LINK about a man open carrying a machete which got me looking for this "Weapons are prohibited in areas police have designated as “event zones.”

LINK to Tampa Ordinance
    LINK to Restricted Zone Map

They are regulating a bunch of additional laws & rules in a very large area of Tampa, from 17 May (when passed) to 1 Sept, or the end of the RNC (but not beyond 8 Sept).

I'm not from Florida, and I don't plan to attend the RNC, but isn't this CITY ordinance preempted by state law?

Florida Preemption 790.33

Section 7 has all the "Prohibited Materials & Objects" and most have "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess, with intent to cause injury, harm or damage to any person or property, ... [list of items].

EDIT: There are 3 sub-sections, City Wide, Event Zone, and Public Viewing Area.
    Just amazing what's on the list, I guess all construction jobs will have to stop during this time.

So, being unable to prove intent (until someone actually uses an item or attempts to use an item), I don't see how they can arrest someone for carrying, whether it's a firearm, baseball bat, machete, or spray paint can. And for a firearm, they are state preempted.

But this allows them to give you "the ride", hold you for who knows how long, and go through the courts. Thus keeping you off the streets for the RNC.

Unless there is a different ordinance that allows temporary restriction of Constitutional rights for special events.....

So Florida OC & CC people, whatcha gonna do?

EDIT Note: I mis-read the dates (corrected above), correct dates of the ordinance is 17 May (when passed) to 1 Sept, or the end of the RNC (but not beyond 8 Sept).
    Last edited by Lord Sega; 08-27-2012 at 03:13 AM.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

I wouldn't it put it past the Obama administration to plant a flunky to carry into the convention and possibly create mayhem.

That would give them yet another reason to shove gun control down out throats if he's re-elected.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Re: Republican National Convention - RESTRICTIONS

Why would anyone want to go to hear vicious and wicked men lie to their idiot followers and the media ******?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

I thought Gov Scott stepped in and put an end to the restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman351 View Post
    I thought Gov Scott stepped in and put an end to the restrictions.
    There is no restriction on lawful carry within the "event zone", only inside of the Secret Service manned checkpoints in the immediate convention area.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    There is no restriction on lawful carry within the "event zone", only inside of the Secret Service manned checkpoints in the immediate convention area.
    So the open carry of the machete fell under a city ordinance of open carry of a knife restriction. This is not true for licensed conceiled carry of a gun? Am I right?
    Last edited by 10x; 08-28-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    So the open carry of the machete fell under a city ordinance of open carry of a knife restriction. This is not true for licensed conceiled carry of a gun? Am I right?
    Correct. Openly carried bladed weapons are not protected from local ordinance regulation as are concealed carry firearms with a license. Even concealed carry bladed weapons with a license are a questionable gray area. 790.06 has a preemption statement in it with regards to concealed weapons which may be carried lawfully, however unlike firearms/ammo (790.33), there are no penalties associated with a local ordinance. You would have to defend yourself in court, although you would likely win, you'd be out the attorney's fees and court costs.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)