• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Republican National Convention - RESTRICTIONS

Lord Sega

Came across a story LINK about a man open carrying a machete which got me looking for this "Weapons are prohibited in areas police have designated as “event zones.”

LINK to Tampa Ordinance
LINK to Restricted Zone Map

They are regulating a bunch of additional laws & rules in a very large area of Tampa, from 17 May (when passed) to 1 Sept, or the end of the RNC (but not beyond 8 Sept).

I'm not from Florida, and I don't plan to attend the RNC, but isn't this CITY ordinance preempted by state law?

Florida Preemption 790.33

Section 7 has all the "Prohibited Materials & Objects" and most have "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess, with intent to cause injury, harm or damage to any person or property, ... [list of items].

EDIT: There are 3 sub-sections, City Wide, Event Zone, and Public Viewing Area.
Just amazing what's on the list, I guess all construction jobs will have to stop during this time.

So, being unable to prove intent (until someone actually uses an item or attempts to use an item), I don't see how they can arrest someone for carrying, whether it's a firearm, baseball bat, machete, or spray paint can. And for a firearm, they are state preempted.

But this allows them to give you "the ride", hold you for who knows how long, and go through the courts. Thus keeping you off the streets for the RNC.

Unless there is a different ordinance that allows temporary restriction of Constitutional rights for special events.....

So Florida OC & CC people, whatcha gonna do?

EDIT Note: I mis-read the dates (corrected above), correct dates of the ordinance is 17 May (when passed) to 1 Sept, or the end of the RNC (but not beyond 8 Sept).

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I wouldn't it put it past the Obama administration to plant a flunky to carry into the convention and possibly create mayhem.

That would give them yet another reason to shove gun control down out throats if he's re-elected.

77zach

Why would anyone want to go to hear vicious and wicked men lie to their idiot followers and the media ******?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rich7553

I thought Gov Scott stepped in and put an end to the restrictions.

There is no restriction on lawful carry within the "event zone", only inside of the Secret Service manned checkpoints in the immediate convention area.

10x

There is no restriction on lawful carry within the "event zone", only inside of the Secret Service manned checkpoints in the immediate convention area.

So the open carry of the machete fell under a city ordinance of open carry of a knife restriction. This is not true for licensed conceiled carry of a gun? Am I right?

Last edited:

Rich7553

So the open carry of the machete fell under a city ordinance of open carry of a knife restriction. This is not true for licensed conceiled carry of a gun? Am I right?

Correct. Openly carried bladed weapons are not protected from local ordinance regulation as are concealed carry firearms with a license. Even concealed carry bladed weapons with a license are a questionable gray area. 790.06 has a preemption statement in it with regards to concealed weapons which may be carried lawfully, however unlike firearms/ammo (790.33), there are no penalties associated with a local ordinance. You would have to defend yourself in court, although you would likely win, you'd be out the attorney's fees and court costs.